Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Doctor Z's Castaway Lounge Summer Spectacular 7/31 UPDATE!!

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

T

Sounds like fun! Please count me in!

Go-Boy Records is just a few minutes from the good Doctor's house...time to pick up some new surf music!

Mrs. Fury moved a party for her co-workers to last week so she could be at Dr. Zs this time. We will bring fresh lime juice, and might see some of you pre-party at Go-Boy.

Looks like I can't make it. Someone please save me an unpainted Ku. I had so much fn painting one last year, I'd love to paint up another one so I can have a matching set!

Sabu--grill it up!
Z-mix it up!
All Hoiti Toidi--drink it up!
I'll be there in spirit!

This is a live report from THE Z PARTY! If you are not here, you are not having as much fun as me! I don't mean to brag, but this is the place to be and if you're not here, you're somewhere else, but not in a good way.

Floratina here, posting from the party. I must honestly report that your compadres are currently involved in drunken debauchery. Dr. Z has plied us with Mai Tais, Tiki Pug has made his Mojitos, Kick The Reverb has pleased us greatly with his Reverb Crash. Reverb is now in the final testing stage of the "Comb Over". Only the most select of the mixological inner circle is being allowed to test this sample. I am certain that it will pass muster and then...let the chant begin. "Comb Over! Comb Over! Comb Over!" (with accompaniment on Dr. Z's celebrated congs drums). Better go, I hear the restless natives gathering in the lounge with "Night Train" blaring on the stereo...don't wanna miss out!

I've been sucking on the same Beach Bum Something-or-other for a couple of hours and I'm still toasty!

"Reverb Crash!"
"Reverb Crash!"
"Reverb Crash!"
"Reverb Crash!"

PolyPop here LIVE from Doc Z's summer bash. Damn, that Reverb -- how the the hell am I gonna get home now?????

Adrios - Seacrest OUT.

Wow,
just arrived in California today and already drinking the best Reverb Crash, and eating the best I-don't-remember-the-name-chicken-Sabu stuff. That's amazing! I don,t feel the jet lag anymore...
Tikifrog

[ Edited by: Tikifrog on 2004-07-31 23:54 ]

M
Moki posted on Sat, Jul 31, 2004 11:50 PM

You guys are cracking me up. Wish we could have made it. You sound like you are having a blast. Reverb Crashes do rule!!
Party On.....
:drink:

T

My head hurts. It is only 11:00 and I'm hammered. There is a ukele circle going on outside and Lady V is behind the bar, I'll be hurting tomorrow.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't drink at parties, sign in to Tiki Central than fall asleep on the couch.

Bastardos!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-08-01 14:09 ]

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow. Meow meow meow meow meow meow. Meow meow meow meow. Meow meow.

P.S. Thanks for the hammie bits, Wersmo.

H

Atomic Cocktail is f*@ked up, y'all.

TB

I'm so wasted...!

H

Beachbum's Own. Yes. Snails. Yes. Reverb Crash. Yes. Kettle. Yes. Monkey Skull. Yes.

Damn .. wish we were there ... we did get equally f***ed up playiong beer pong though ... good times!

just got back home safe and sound...
what a terrific party... got to hang with the old family crew and met some fun new tiki central and even non-tiki central folks, too.

i gotta say - i was feeling lousy and almost turned around when the 405 traffic started sucking on the way down - but i just turned off the freeway, took the coastal route and boy was i glad I went - I feel 100% better!

Thanks you to the good Doctor and his girl.

Yes it is I the wayward mixologist - that Reverb Crash did it to me..... I couldn't hang on for my own shift at the bar... I don’t think my shift was coming up til midnight – next time I need an earlier shift (I am putting in my request now… scheduled shifts with time limits). Now for those of you who couldn't make it to the shindig, I'll give the synopsis. By the time I arrived at 8:45pm (had a previous pirate party event) the bar room was packed to the gills and they were just changing "guess bartender shifts." Reverb was up next and many of us waited for the famed Reverb Crash. Antics ensued in line with Atomic Cocktail starting a chant "Reverb Reverb" (I think? correct me if I'm wrong with Polynesian Pop on bongo accompaniment) that would have sent any other inexperienced mixologist packing with their bottles, but Reverb held steady and mixed up his first batch of the stuff. The line at the bar never grew smaller – I think the room did – as no one could get through! Outside the party was swinging with a bunch of people doing the tiki craft thing in the garage; eating, drinking, talking, shouting, etc. Where were the cops? (It was outa control – noisewise) Then Reverb finished off his shift with the anticipated experimental "Comb Over." I don't know what that drink was about, since I was pretty much "under-the-table" after that "Reverb Crash" and had to sober meself and pack up for home. Mrs. Velour was up next, preparing to make her famed "Livesaver" concoction and Dr. Z was giving people shots of some kind of liquer in the kitchen. It was full-on insanity. People came from as far away as San Diego and Thousand Oaks and maybe farther… (good to see Mr. And Mrs. Bongo Fury…. But where was Al n' Shelley, or Monkeyman?… Maybe I didn't make it far enough into the backyard?...) and I am sure today that half of these partying hoity toity's are pretty sick dogs! Meself, I managed 'er to live to tell this little tale (without too much of a hangover, hee, hee - at least I won't be lying in bed all day). Could this be hands-down the hoity toity party event of the year?! Thank ye Dr. Z and Z Girl for another amazing evening of partying!

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate on 2004-08-01 11:38 ]

H

Thank you Dr. Z and Z girl for a fabulous party, my first tiki party. Thank God no hangovers this morning. But just good memories of some nice people I met for the first time. Some great curried chicken and a baby tiki Kon -tiki mug. Oh, lets not forget my rainbow design ku. And last but not least the best mai-tai in the entire U.S.A. Cant wait for next year. OK I have no life.

Good Chow, Good Grog, Good Friends!

A special thanx to all the chefs! That Coconut Chicken satay kept me alive...

Great meeting y'all...Let's do it again at the Hukilau!

Thanx Doc-Z and Lady-Z for having us over...

P.S. How many different colors is your backyard lawn now...hee hee!

Moi

One of the finest luaus, indeed! Mucho mahalos to the Z's for hosting, Sabu for the grill thrills, Tiki Pug & Kick the Reverb & Lady Velour for mixing such deeeLishus cocktails, Humuhumu for releasing aloha wear back into the wild, King Kukulele & Iuka Grogg & Ookoo Lady for leading such a fun ukulele session, Atomic Cocktail and Vintage Girl for the dancin' antics, Tiki Bird & Utopian dream for bringing the home brew(it's Tiki Birdy num num!), Johnnie Velour for creating the exciting and provocative guest bartender table tents, and the whole gang there for making the scene so terrific. What a fun bunch!

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2004-08-01 23:10 ]

B

Thanks for a great party!

H

Pictures! The full album is here:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/castaway_lounge/

TikiBird & UtopianDreem's Beer Hut:

It has pulls carved by Benzart & Monkeyman:

The Bartenders:

The Good Doctor Z, making Mai Tais, Beachbum's Own, and Navy Grogs (plus special requests):

The TikiPugs, making Mojitos:
(Mr. TikiPug didn't fit in the Castaway Lounge very well--he kept getting poked in the head by pufferfish)

(Mrs. TikiPug had the Very Important Job of keeping the sugar scoop for the mojitos dry)

kick_the_reverb, making Reverb Crashes (winner of the Tiki Central Drink Contest), and Comb Overs:

Lady Velour, making White Lifesavers (they really taste like the real thing!)

Surprise Guest Bartender, making Mai Tais and Beachbum's Own:

Now the Party shots:

Rebecca from the Purple Orchid (Mrs. Wersmo Derinc), writing with a purple pen on purple paper--note the purple fingernails:

Rebecca brought these passionflowers from her yard:

King Kukulele is experimenting with not shaving:

Doctor Z was presented with a new addition for the Castaway Lounge:

Atomic Cocktail & Vintage Girl:

The Music!:

Ookoo Lady, King Kukulele & WeirdUncleTiki brought out their ukes for us:

I'm learning to play a new instrument--the snails! These came from Tiki Taix the night before (I ordered escargot). They make a lovely clacking sound:

Snail solo!:

Speaking of snails...:

Sabu the Coconut Boy made a new friend:

Doctor Z announces the arrival of a massive batch of Reverb Crashes to an appreciative crowd:

There was a tall stack of Mary Kate & Ashley videos in Doctor Z's bedroom. I'm just gonna let that sit there for a moment:

My old roommate & new Tiki Central member, Sienna Tiki:

Wersmo Derinc responds with consternation when all the drink makin' supplies have been put away:

An under-the-weather Futura Girl came out for the festivities:

Sabu had an actual monkey skull on his necklace:

Atomic Cocktail ends the evening by passing out next to the bowl of hangover remedies:

Big mahalos to everyone who pitched in to make this an unforgettable evening: Ookoo Lady, WeirdUncleTiki & King Kukulele for bringing out your ukes for us, Sabu & UtopianDreem for making such delicious food (best hummus ever!), all the bartenders for the amazing concoctions, and most of all, Doctor Z & DolphinTiki, for putting so much effort into making the Castaway Lounge and this evening unforgettable. Can't wait until next year!

D

humuhumu...aaaaaahhhh you should post "Snail Warning" on this thread...aaaaacckk i have a somewhat phobia ...

well, aside from the mollusks.. looks like a good time was had by all.

hm. maybe i should go post something on that 'irrational fear' thread...

elicia

OL

What a great tiki party! Mahalo to Dr. Z for hosting the event, and to the guest bartenders for getting me completely smashed, and to Humuhumu for giving me a really cool dress, and to King Kukulele and Weird Unkle Tiki for letting me sit in at the ukulele jam, and to the bbq chefs who were cooking up the yummy cocoanut chicken satay kabobs. It was a blast meeting so many people from this forum. I had way too much fun. Rick took a lot of pictures, and he'll be posting them soon.

I forgot to bring home my notebook filled with song lyrics. (My brain was slightly clouded when I left the party) Dr. Z, if you find it let me know.

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 6:07 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:50 ]

What a great party, thanks a lot to Doctor Z & Dolphin Tiki for hosting this great event (and letting us stick around overnight), Sabu for cooking, Tiki Pug, Lady Velour and Humuhumu for bartending, King Kukulele, Iuka Grog and Ookoo Lady for the music, Johnny Velour for the wacky guest bartender name tents, and for everyone who said good words about the Reverb Crash.
I also want to thank Mrs. Kick the Reverb for the behind the scenes and bar side assistance, without which I would have never been able to supply you all with the drinks (and she actually stood in line for one!)
I appologize for making my bar shift so long, I wasn't looking at the clock, I was just trying to keep up with demand.

The Combover is not officialy ready, and testing will continue in a more controlled enviornment (that might prevent accidental mass pouring of Pernod into the drink).

Mahalo, and see you all at ITD

Ran

Cool party! Mucho mahaloz to da Z's for hosting and to the guest bartenders and Sabu for that broke da mouth chicken. We had a great time. The reverb crash & whatever that stuff the good doctor & I were doing shots of in the kitchen really put me away (but in a good way). Last I recall the party was breaking up and we were off for some late night grinds at some place called Nancy's(?) I went back to round up Sally and lost you guys. We cruzed around for awhile trying to find it and wound up deep in the bowels of Torrance...lost. Woke up this morning in the beeautiful Redondo Inn and headed straight for the Pier for greasy breakfast & Mai Tais at Tony's. Took the long way home around the Palos Verde penninsula and down PCH...what a great weekend!

P
pablus posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 9:34 AM

You folks sure know how to throw a party.
Thanks for the photos.

AWESOME beer hut.

T

The good doctor behind the bar

Mike a.k.a. the bouncer @ The Purple Orchid & Mrs. Pug

Johnny V, Humu, & Dr.Z

Hey, look at the picture I took!

Poly, Bongo, King & Humu

Vintage Girl watching Sabu cook his delicious chicken

I made so many mojitos that night, my fingers were pruned from the lime juice

Atomic Cocktail doing the little known Tiki Smoke dance

Lady V and Futura Girl

Is Floratina awake?

Shaka!

Lady Z in her throne

Vegas BABY!

[ Edited by: TikiPug on 2004-08-03 10:17 ]

T

Doc~
What a party, ya know a man can only look at so many of these photo galleries of Humu's and not want to pack it up and head west.

DZ

Well, I'd simply like to say a big MAHALO to all those that were able to make it: those that came from nearby, those that came from far away, and those that came from really far away!! Without all of you, it would have just been me and a sh*tload of booze...

Fast facts: we went through 6 gallons of Tiki Bird's homebrew, 5 gallons of Lapu Lapu's, 3 gallons of Reverb Crash, half a dozen bottles of wine and at least 3 cases of alco-pops, beers, and other assorted bottled drinks. This doesn't even include what was mixed at the bar, where the guest bartenders and myself went through bags of limes, bushels of mint, and emptied enough liquor bottles to fill a "Recyclables" trash can!

See what I mean?

Oh, and I'm not sure how much chicken & shrimp Sabu made, but there were enough used skewers to make a small bonfire with!

I would like to extend special thanks to the Guest Bartenders (even the surprise ones!) for keeping the drinks flowing under extreme pressure of the thirsty masses - next year we're having TWO bars! Oh, and I'm going to put a muzzle on Atomic Cocktail! :wink:

Extra special thanks to Sabu for the grinds, T-Bird & Utopian Dreem for the brew and Z-Girl (uh... I mean DolphinTiki) and Johnnie V for helpin' set up and gettin' the food out.

But extra EXTRA thanks for going waaaaay above and beyond the call of duty must go to Mr. & Mrs. Kick-the-Reverb: not only did they pull one of the longest stints behind the bar, they also spent the night (in their car, mind you), got up early somehow, snuck into the house, CLEANED THE WHOLE PLACE, then left before I even got up! Wow.

Besides sobriety, there were some other things left behind here:

Sabu - I have your yellow cutting board
TikiPug - I have your mojito sugar spoon
Cousin Dave - I have your sunglasses
Wersmo Derinc - I have your grey cooler
Ookoo Lady - I have your song book
Krustiki - I bought your Tiki Pa'ina raffle tickets
I will be bringing all "found" items to International Tiki Day and you can pick 'em up there (unless you make other arrangements)

To all who painted Ku masks: the 'contest' never occurred because, well, apparently the appointed judges never judged anything! The masks that are still here will be brought to International Tiki Day, where judging will occur and prizes will be awarded. (If you brought your mask(s) home already, bring it to ITD for judging consideration) If you want an unpainted mask, PM me.

The friendship of my TikiCentral ohana is priceless, and your generosity and aloha spirit know no bounds. If I could throw a party like this for you every weekend, I would.

(BTW - thanks to the gifts that were brought, we still have enough booze for another party! I'll keep y'all posted...)

Notes to self:

--keep Atomic Cocktail off the computer
--raise puffers & lamps higher to avoid injuring TikiPug again
--don't let Futura Girl spray paint the lawn
--don't let Humuhumu take pix of my eBay videos
--find out about this heretofore unknown Sabu/snail connection
--don't drink it if Kick-the-Reverb tells you it has way too much Pernod
--put congas out of reach of chanting bar patrons
--don't drunkenly try to speak French to impress French guests
--find out how the cat got on TikiCentral

Well: same time next year??

K

Hey Dr. Z, this was a great party! If anyone's interested here are a few more photos.

http://www.mutantqueens.com/dr_z's_2004.htm

If you want me to make any corrections to the captions, let me know.

On 2004-08-05 23:23, Krustiki wrote:

If you want me to make any corrections to the captions, let me know.

Yes, row 1, right end pic - Mustang Sally (not to be confused with MustDangSally)

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-08-06 17:41 ]

TMF

Thanks for everything.... It doesn't not matter how far my travels will be they will always end up at the Castaways.......

T

Hey Z same time next year?

May the aloha spirit be with you in all that you do.

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-17 13:23 ]

This thread ain't over yet. I've finally recovered from the Castaway Lounge and wanted to thank Doctor Z for the incredible party and warm hospitality. This was my first TC event and everyone made me feel right at home. Great people, great atmosphere and great drinks! I'm ready for more.

P.S. - Doctor Z, I hope you enjoy the Tipsy cd.

Here at last are some of my pics from this fabulous event:

Pug whips up Mojitos

These guys were playing with whistles or something

Ran had many hungry livers to feed

The line for Ran's Reverb Crash

Tikibird scores his coveted

Ookoo lady, King and Iuka

Humu and her Escargot

Atomic demonstrates fresh fruit self-defense techniques

Atomic capers about

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-08-24 17:57 ]

Yes, I know the post is messed up, but the edit page is buggy and it's coming up with no "submit" button. I need one of those...HUMU!

H

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix your post, since I get the wacky busted up page, too, but here's how it would look if I could fix it properly:

Floratina's post:

Here at last are some of my pics from this fabulous event:

Pug whips up Mojitos

These guys were playing with whistles or something

Ran had many hungry livers to feed

The line for Ran's Reverb Crash

Tikibird scores his coveted

Ookoo lady, King and Iuka

Humu and her Escargot

Atomic demonstrates fresh fruit self-defense techniques

Atomic capers about

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-08-24 18:22 ]

floratina, thanks for putting up your pics. It reminds me how much fun the party was, i mean just look at Atomic Cocktail going, that was a great party!

Pages: 1 2 88 replies