Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Virus?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hi everyone, I have not posted in like a year and I missed the last Oasis event due to my wife graduating from Architecture school (I'm sure everyone is saying "uh great, who are you anyway?) ha ha.
Anyhoo, the e-mail [email protected] keeps trying to send me a virus called W32/Bagle.z@MM!vbs
Is this virus going to wipe out my address book or is it some kind of groovy infectious tiki virus that will make me grow a goatee and play the bongos?

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2004 1:42 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:24 ]

He's a good man...and thorough.

Just got this e-mail:

Please accept my apologies for the two emails that were sent this week to the Tikievents mailing list with virus' attached

With over 2500 members on this list you can imagine I received many automated responses and many irate emails and many unsubscribes

here is what happened

a beagle virus captured my email address probably from an email I sent out to someone else who was already infected. It then sent an email to my server which has an open gate for email commands from me. The server which runs my list then passed the emails along. Neither my computer nor my server were infected. Both of us are running virus software. In fact, I am on a mac and the beagle virus does not work on a Mac. The open access has now been closed preventing this sort of thing from ever happening again. It was an oversight on the part of my server company and had never happened in the five years that I have been using them and using their email list service.

(all you techs out there please do not reply to this explaining exactly what I did and did not explain properly about how this all works. the above explanation is close enough)

Anyone out there who received and opened these two emails (one was titled incoming message) and is not on a Mac may be infected. The virus will get into your email address book, capture random addresses and send itself out using those email addresses.

sorry

Otto von Stroheim

L

*On 2004-06-06 10:03, Captain Ambience wrote:*Is this virus some kind of groovy infectious tiki virus that will make me grow a goatee and play the bongos?

Yes, because Tiki is, as we all know, Beatnik!

oh, as an aside, apropo the computer virus /mac thread:

another advantage we mac users gloat over is:
No viruses touch us. Why!?

Hackers spend their time creating viruses for win doze, cuz it is the dominant user (percentage) platform. They want mass effect with minimal work. Taking the time to create a mac virus is false economics in their eyes.
also, each and every time you hear these radio computer programs; local, national or Kim Komando, (marry me, girl!)...
The problems are all fulla esoteric junk and I'm thinkin... "whaaaat!? A drive, B drive. huh!? do i have that? and no, course not; They are referring to PC's.... all the problems are windoze problems. Same with all the computer columns in the newspapers.

(course then we are asked; why do the majority of users use windoze?!)

accounting departments nationwide see the bottom line and as bean counters, tell purchasing to go out and buy the networkable CHEAPEST computers. But...

Despite sometimes having a slightly higher initial purchase cost, Macintosh computers have substantially lower TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP....

ok I will shaddup now.

whew that felt good tho.

for more:

http://forgetcomputers.com/~jdroz/

http://forgetcomputers.com/~jdroz/08.html

Pages: 1 4 replies