Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Don The Beachcomber Rum Barrel mug

Pages: 1 9 replies

Does anyone know what a "fair" price is to pay for this mug?

http://www.gmcb.com/franciscan/image_library/specials/franbarrel.jpg

Thanks!
SugarCaddyDaddy

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2002-08-28 18:04 ]

In my opinion that is a very cool mug!
I see them sell semi regularly on ebay for varying amounts: usually between $40-$90, but I've seen them go over $100.

The dark brown version seems to be a bit more scarce than the lighter, cream colored rum barrel mug you usually see come up made by Royal Haeger. A bit different style also. Actually, you dont see that much DTB stuff come up all that often compared to other mugs. (LOTS of menu's tho)

I dont know for sure which one is older, I do know Royal Haeger changed to just "Haeger" in the late 50's-early 60's.
The darker version might be the 70's model.
I think this mug is WAY underated & overlooked by alot of novice tiki mug collectors that only want actual "fierce" tiki idol mugs.
I think it should be a staple of any well rounded collection, especially condidering the fact Don the beachcomber was one of the first originators of the tiki bar as we know it today!
I always say:
only pay the price YOU feel is fair & YOU can live with!

M

That would be part of MY collection if I ever scored one. I would gladly shell out 30-40 bones for it, but I am a cheap date.

Looks different from many I have seen, I like this version a lot. Would be agreat part of any collection indeed. I am stil smarting over losing an auction on Ebay for "Steve's Rum Barrel"...about a year ago. Still the only one I have seen for sale.

midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-08-28 22:31 ]

I would have to say a "fair price" would be depending on where you bought them. I've only been collecting tiki mugs and polynesian kitch for about 9 years but I have managed to obtain 3 of the Don the Beachcomber rumbarrels all obtained at flea markets. the most expensive one was 7.00 bucks but that was at a flea market bought off of a guy who thought it was one of those Hillbilly wildcat juice mugs you see everywhere. ( thank god for midwest flea markets.) So I guess the price one is willing to pay all depends on if you actually leave your house to go out looking for cool stuff and don't have to have it this very minute or are trying to gain an "instant" collection. ( hit the way outta the way flea markets ( they are in every corner of the country so none of that "we don't have any flea markets where we live BS") you will be surprised at what you score, you really think these people who put mugs and stuff up on e-bay for lots o dough spent a bunch of money on them. more than likely they got it in a buy all lot at an auction or estate sale or somthing for next to jack squat.) or you can just settle for the price you see on E-Bay. But belive me unless someone has a gun to your head saying "buy this mug or else" you can live without it untill you at least try to find it elsewhwere. It's all out there you just have to dig a little and beat sellers to the score.

In regards to theARTFINKs statement that it's cheaper to buy mugs at a 'fleamarket' as opposed to ebay, I would have to add to the economical equation, one should consider what their time is worth.

If one's salary equates to say, $20-40$/hr, is it really cheaper to spend 2 or 3 hours on a day off searching for something that may or may not be there. ebay on the otherhand is less of an investment in time.

My collection began about 10 years ago and some items I've bought from friends in the business, but most from ebay. Does that mean my 'Tiki credentials' are being called into question, no. It only means I get what I want when I want it (otherwise someone else may get it!).

I was just stating a fact that there are other options besides E-BAY to purchase mugs (crazy as it may seem) It just seems to me that alot of people think that the tiki market revolves around E-BAY and nothing else. It surly isn't any of my buisness where or how people obtain their collectables or how much bread they spend on said items, but is it just me or does anyone else out there get a kick outta goin' to a flea market,rootin'thru a box of junk and pullin' out a tiki for a buck or two. Sure it doesn't happen all the time,but when it does it feels pretty good. that's just me(I've been a junk hound since i was a kid) but I get a sense of accomplishment from that than say spendin' a 100 bucks on the same tiki off E-BAY.

DZ

I would definitely agree! Although I've made a majority of my mug purchases on eBay, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from spotting a vintage mug amidst a field of junk and paying a dirt cheap price for it that makes those mugs personally more 'valuable' to me than the ones I just had to "point-click-wait for delivery" to acquire. How much I paid for something and how much it is worth to me are not necessarily related! (ex: my "5 Lanterns, West Covina" 3-face mug - a 10-cent investment - is worth more to me than, say, one of my Steve Crane Luau mugs I paid a small fortune for...)

I go out "garage sale-ing" with Sabu every Saturday, and the comraderie, competition and conversations we have makes the time well spent whether we find anything 'valuable' or not. And the occasions where one of us does find something makes the whole 'treasure hunting' aspect fun, rewarding and a cause for celebration! (usually at King's Hawaiian Restaurant, Torrance, CA...)

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2002-08-29 20:14 ]

Aloha!
I almost forgot to give an update:

I did pick up both of the mugs that were for sale. Their price on the tag was $20 each. I got both for $30(total, cash-out-the-door). These are REALLY BIG in comparison to other mugs. 32 ounces to the rim, 5 1/2" tall, 3 1/4" diameter (4 1/2 dia. in the middle). One is completely glazed on the bottom, one is not.

SugarCaddyDaddy

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2002-10-17 13:31 ]

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2002-10-17 13:32 ]

sugarcaddydaddy,
I found a pair of those mugs at a local thrift however, they were in more of an olive color. The price? $2.00 each. No kidding. Of course, this was about 3 years ago when thrifting still yielded results.

Ahhh, the good old days...

T

Those are some nice lookin' mug-barrels SCD!

Just to rant on about this "there's more than eBay out there for stuff" Personally I love eBay it's great to be able to casually search through the listings at my lesuire. I could browse through there anytime I want even in my underwear day or night. I don't have to get up early, go out of my house and drive around trying to find some old lady's house hoping to she'll have a tiki mug burried in a box somewhere. And since I work nights there is no eF-eN way I'm getting up at 7:00 AM on a Saturday or Sunday? Are you high or something?? Just to do that? No, I'd rather just get up at noon and sit in front of my computer in my PJ's eating Cap'n Crunch and buy tiki mugs. Thank you.

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2002-10-18 09:33 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies