Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lighted Palm Trees...

Pages: 1 15 replies

I came across this site while browsing today: http://www.trampolinesales.com/palm_trees.html

Very expensive, but kinda cool looking.

Anyone living in the Detroit area can see these first hand. They are infront of the new La Shish restaurant being built on Hall Road near Lakeside.

They're kinda cool, but maybe just a little too "fat Elvis" for my taste. IfyaknowwhatImean.

-Z

Jesus (and not in a good way),

For what they want for 1 of those contraptions you could get a few 'real' palm trees.

You want to know what's wrong with society these days? Well, do you? It's this - everyone wants instant gratification (and instant fornication).

"Oh, I don't have the time to actually plant a palm tree, water a palm tree, feed a palm tree and wait for it to grow. I mean hey, I gotta watch a reality show of some sort at 7:00 pm tonight!".

The first tip off that it's "trailer" is when the vendor states "great for auto dealerships". Personally, If I ran an auto dealership, I'd go with the giant inflatable ape.

(Oh well, I bet they go great with fake nails though...)

Christ (and not in a good way) I had to come back and edit this god damn post so as to not get in any sort of trouble - PLEASE NOTE - This is just my opinion, I'm not making a judgement against any person - living or otherwise.

Besides, what the f*#* should my opinions matter to anyone else anyway. So, just let me rip of a little chunk of the 1st Amendment thing and chew on it for a while.

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-06-11 17:00 ]

H

I've seen these in the wild twice. The first time was in Vegas, in front of one of the smaller, older hotels just north of the strip. In that setting, they looked pretty dang cool, and I liked them quite a bit -- they were just right. The second time I forget exactly where I was, but they looked stiff & weird. Same trees, it was just the setting.

I think these would look good in Canada, where no real palm trees can grow. Wait a sec...I meant to say that they would look "gaudy" in....

Looks like the major-league version of those fibre optic plants you can buy at liquidation stores. I kinda have a soft spot for those things...and the Fat Elvis.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-06-11 17:36 ]

They are very Vegas, aren't they.

I feel embarrassed for some reason.

They would fit right into our urban forest, I guess. But then they'd probably be drowned out by all the other stuff we have here! :)

My first thought was about how effective they'd be at pissing off the neighbors. Not very Tiki of me, but my subversive nature got the better of me.

I can see it now...."While we admit that these monstrosities are not expressly forbidden by your CC&R, we remain opposed to your L.E.D. palm forest..."

Heck, I might even replace my statue of the guy wearing a sombrero sleeping up against a catus for a couple of those things!

They get funnier the more I look. They are the Vegas Showgirl of palm trees. :lol:

I like them, I think they are the delightfully kitsch and a good light source for an outside tiki bar.

But Bong, I do agree with you. I like my fornication to last a while, as opposed to instant.

Wal-mart sold 4 ft palm trees around x-mas that thad lights "woven/sewn/molded" in to the leaves. I thought they looked worse than these.

*On 2004-06-11 16:37, Humuhumu wrote:*I've seen these in the wild twice. The first time was in Vegas, in front of one of the smaller, older hotels just north of the strip. In that setting, they looked pretty dang cool, and I liked them quite a bit -- they were just right. The second time I forget exactly where I was, but they looked stiff & weird. Same trees, it was just the setting.

The ones in vegas are in front of the Algiers Motel.

T

On 2004-06-11 16:29, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Jesus (and not in a good way),

For what they want for 1 of those contraptions you could get a few 'real' palm trees.

Bong, not all of us live in California. If I tried to grow a real palm tree all I would end up with was a brown icicle after the first frost!

On 2004-06-12 08:26, tikifish wrote:

Bong, not all of us live in California. If I tried to grow a real palm tree all I would end up with was a brown icicle after the first frost!

Oddly enough, I wanted to grow a douglas fir and it died. (I think one of my palm trees did a Kobe on it...)

K

I like them in the same way I like neon signs & aluminum Christmas trees. The blue one is really calling to me.

M

I was reminded of the neon palm trees in Showgirls by Kyle MacLachlan's pool, that you see right before he and Elizabeth do the funkiest pool nasty in movie history.

First off, I sell these trees.The Tiara tree, A Show stopping Beauty you can't help but stare at.The other tree is Very life like and will blend into any Tiki Bar Decor.
These trees may be tacky to some people but most people deep down love them and are afraid to admit it.
We are definitely a niche company.Hooters restaurants is one of our biggest clients.
Half our business comes from the Commercial side, Half from the residential side.
Thanks a lot for letting me lurk I love Tiki Central!

I kinda like the green "natural color" one because it does look somewhat like a palm tree with light falling on it...except the light is actually coming from the tree. Pretty neat!

i love these trees!!...i saw them in chicago a few years back and thought they were the coolest....to compare them with real palm trees is idiotic...both have their rightful place....now, mr. palm tree guy, how about creating a smaller version, maybe 10-12 ft tall with a smaller price tag on it and start capitalizing on the home market...hint hint....i need some for indoors and out....

Pages: 1 15 replies