Phone:22 617 96 63

Description:
Tiki Bar attached to Restauraunt
Cool Retro/Tiki interior
Good range of mugs
Friendly staff

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-06-15 03:20 ]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-06-15 10:21 ]

This was areally cool bar to go see, the decor although not overly tiki was good. When we were there it was fairly empty and no one in Porto who we thought might have been in to the scene really knew about it (eg Tattoo, Vintage stores).
I must say the Cocktails although served in cool mugs with dry ice and all the trimmings weren't great so I stuck to beer .
Still worth checking out if youre in that neck or the woods.

what about those mugs in the display case? did you find any other tiki in portugal? i looked in lisboa, not much there as far as i could tell (but a great bar scene nonetheless).

The mugs come from a bar in Spain, I asked if we could buy some, but they unfortunately wouldn't sell.
Didn't find any other tiki stuff, although there was a Bar in Sagres that makes the best Caipirinha's which is worth checkin out.

Nice find!!
I was just extolling the virtues of Lisbon to the wife.....but it looks like a trip to Porto has to be on the cards!

The look is very much like that of the classic Barcelona Tiki bars - did you get any photos of the inside?

Great to see that you're posting on Tiki Central, by the way!

Trader Woody

Looks nice, Cheeky Tiki! I had no idea there was any tiki in Portugal. I did only Lisbon and its partytown neighbor just north, Caiscais, and it's definitely a great bar scene. (Gorgeous discos and such on the cliffs, with the doors wide open and outdoor patios, overlooking the moonlight on the ocean. Magic.)

But where the heck is Porto?! And why were you there? I'm guessing not en route to make a holy pilgrimage to Fatima...

(Looking forward to meeting you in London and having those killer Mai Tai's - yummy :) )

o porto is about midway up the portugese coast. it's the town that port (the alcoholic beverage) is named after.

V

Here's some pictures my brother took while visiting his sister in law who's living in Porto.
He tried to buy me some mugs or menu but got the same result as cheeky.

K

After having dragged my own family and our friends trough all of Porto, we found the place closed. A fresh newspaper at the doormat suggested that it was still in operation, but I had no patience left to go on. Some excusing was in order and the kids had to be heavily bribed, but at least I got some pictures of the facade. I´ll be back, better prepared.
This is the front of the marquee.

The tiki at the entrance is playing the maracas.

There are no truths outside the Gates of Eden

More of the decor from the outside.

[ Edited by: Kong-Tiki 2007-07-04 02:39 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:51 AM

Closed Location.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:55 AM

I read somewhere that maracas come from Polynesia. Others say Morocco or Brazil.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Apr 14, 2009 11:11 AM

Business card / mini menu

Zeta, do you know if it is closed, but still exists? It was supposedly a real nice one...

I would like to say something about this:

On 2007-07-04 02:32, Kong-Tiki wrote:
The tiki at the entrance is playing the maracas.

What this wonderful tile Tiki is holding is actually a Maori war club,
the same type than this famous O.A.-carved giant:

Maori war clubs came in a variety of forms and shapes. Here is another type,
also from O.A., which graced many famous Tiki temples, and is still available at their warehouse:

To help us differentiate the various war club types, here is a handy chart:

Now we can see that our Hiva Oa guardian is holding a KOTIATE, much like this chieftain:

Here is a nice photo and description of a kotiate:

Another type of regalia weapon was the MERE:

This meeting house carving is holding one,

and a carving of this type probably inspired the Hawaiian Inn logo Tiki,

..which at some point had its typical Maori tongue mistakenly connected to the hand weapon

...and thus became known as the paddle sucker. The END

...and one more thing: Here is the Hawaiian Inn logo Tiki as swizzle stick, with the correct short club in hand. :)

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 13, 2010 12:00 AM

On 2009-04-14 22:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
Zeta, do you know if it is closed, but still exists? It was supposedly a real nice one...

No longer exists... Nada.

The seafood restaurant next door was doing great so they bought the place... :( This happened almost two years ago.

On 2010-01-13 00:00, Zeta wrote:
No longer exists... Nada.
The seafood restaurant next door was doing great so they bought the place... :( This happened almost two years ago.

:cry: Arrgh, that hurts....

Well at least we have Jamie in London and Nick in Paris who took some pictures...Sigh.

It's actually still operational, open on Fridays and Saturdays from 6PM-2AM.

http://cufra.pt/?page_id=254

But open in what form? It seems they do have the classic Spanish mug menu still, but the only photos I can find of the place now look like it has been gutted:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194856-d1879233-Reviews-Hivaoa_Porto_Cervo-Porto_Cervo_Costa_Smeralda_Province_of_Olbia_Tempio_Sardinia.html

That is not the same place, Portocervo is in Italy. Anyway, I'll be in Porto next week so I will find out and hopefully take some photos. Stay tuned.

Ha, who would have thunk: ANOTHER bar in Europe with the name of a Marquesan island!

I just didn't see any pics of a Tiki interior on their (the Porto Hiva Oa) website, and Zeta's post sounded like it was ripped out in the take over. If so, asked the new owners what happened with the stuff. Hope it wasn't though.

By the way, I'll be in Stockholm the weekend after Midsummer (or after), I'm shooting in Sweden :)

The bar is definitely still operational, I was there on Friday evening last week. As the photos previously posted in this thread aren't available anymore, I can't tell if the interiors are intact. I tried two cocktails, both served in the typical Spanish mugs with dry ice and long straws. Unfortunately, they were not very good - but what can you expect from a bar where the Mai Tai consists of rum, vodka, gin, "tropical juices" and amer picon... I took some photos which I will post here next week.

bigbrotiki, which dates will you be in Stockholm? It would be nice to meet!

On 2013-06-18 22:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha, who would have thunk: ANOTHER bar in Europe with the name of a Marquesan island!

I just didn't see any pics of a Tiki interior on their (the Porto Hiva Oa) website, and Zeta's post sounded like it was ripped out in the take over. If so, asked the new owners what happened with the stuff. Hope it wasn't though.

By the way, I'll be in Stockholm the weekend after Midsummer (or after), I'm shooting in Sweden :)

Magnus, I am going to take the train from Nykoeping (the home base of this movie job) this Saturday the 6th, and am planning to meet Stefan Kehry at some point to have him show me the Tiki Room. :) But I am open to non-Tiki sights, too!

Re the Hiva Oa:
Classic Spanish Tiki bars look like this:

If it rather looks like this:

It ain't original anymore :D

OK, here are my photos from June 28, 2013:

Wonderful pictures, Magnus! That proves that all the nay-saying was unfounded, the place has remained in its old glory! Very cool, thank you!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-10 10:47 ]

Trader Magnus, those are great pictures and it looks like a cool place. Portugal and Spain are on my wish list for travel destinations.
Where are all the people? Did you go early in the day?

On 2013-07-10 13:01, tikilongbeach wrote:
Trader Magnus, those are great pictures and it looks like a cool place. Portugal and Spain are on my wish list for travel destinations.
Where are all the people? Did you go early in the day?

Thanks, yes I was there when they opened at 6PM because I needed to catch a bus back to the countryside at 8PM. I guess most of the people arrive after dark...

Pages: 1 25 replies