Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

My liquor store called me

Pages: 1 25 replies

S

The man saw my request for a Demerara and called to talk rum. He was a real expert and told me I should try the Plantation rums he had and that he had a Nicaraguan Demerara in stock. He says it's not the countyr, but the processing of the sugar that makes it Demerara. So I shall try it. Good to know I have a buyer on my side!

You're lucky. Usually (always, actually) when I talk to a liquor store manager and try to get a special order, they never get back to me, despite acting like they're going to "get right on it". I now rely on the magic of the internet for those hard-to-find items--specifically Passion Fruit Syrup and Demerara 151.

I shop at a place that prides themselves with at least one of everything on the Michigan Liquor Control list (if they don't have it, it's not allowed in MI). The problem is, when I last went in, looking for Demerara actually, the owner didn't seem to recognize the word and there was an empty spot on the shelf where it should have been. He recomended I try Cap'n Morgans instead :roll:

BTW, a few months ago I seem to remember seeing a rum sold in a glass float complete with rope at this same store, but I have not seen it since. Was I imagining it? does this sound familiar to anyone?

-Z

Our local wine dealer has just bought up a bunch of single estate rums from varous countries, all over a decade old. As each cost about $40 a bottle, I don't know whether to endulge or cry...

Trader Woody

S

I went by today and the rum he said was a Demerara was not labeled as such, so I did not buy. The Plantation rums were all over $40. No. I did notice very long discriptions posted on the rums. More later, when I have a job...

A

The buyer at Beverages and More told me there was no such thing as Demarara Rum. I had a bottle of Nicaraugan rum and it was delicious, not Demarara, but good.
Mahalo,
Al

L

"My liquor store called me"

ya know, if I...had a liquor store, I would also call it "me".

Hey Swanky, what's the best liquor store in Knoxville? A buddy of mine shocked me this morning by saying he hadn't been able to find Angostura bitters there. (!!!)

On 2004-06-20 23:46, lanikai wrote:
"My liquor store called me"

ya know, if I...had a liquor store, I would also call it "me".

If I had a liquor store I'd call it "George."

Swanky, when your liquor store calls, are they on a first name basis or do they call you Mr. Swanky?

S

Well, they actually don't sell bitters at the liquor store. They are very strict on what they can sell. No beer. No limes. They are not even allowed to sell the Grog Log!

You get your bitters at the grocery store in the cocktail mixers section.

veering off topic, but does anyone know why the bitters labels typically are bigger than the bottle itself? know what i mean? it wigs me out.

L

On 2004-06-24 13:18, Johnny Dollar wrote:
veering off topic, but does anyone know why the bitters labels typically are bigger than the bottle itself? know what i mean? it wigs me out.

Some time ago, a batch of labels were ordered that were too big for the bottles. Although the error was spotted pretty quickly, no one actually did anything about it because everyone thought someone else would do it. Eventually it got to a stage where no one could be bothered because the labels still worked as it was, and customers were still buying Angostura. The oversized label has actually become a design classic and makes Angostura instantly recognisable from other bitters brands, and it’s great at catching kamikaze drips, too. bedsides, there's something in the bitters that is sensitive to light. Since a bottle of Angostura lasts for a long time, it was considered not too bad of an idea for the label to extend a little up the neck of the bottle to give some shade.

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 14:04 ]

L

sorry! ignore

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 14:02 ]

D

I love it! Drink condoms!

On 2004-06-24 13:02, Swanky wrote:
You get your bitters at the grocery store in the cocktail mixers section.

That's what I told my friend, and he said that's where he'd been checking. What's your local grocery where you can find them?

S

The main one here is Kroger. But Bi-Lo and others also have it. It's there where the tonic water is, and on the same shelf with the cocktail onions, Coco Lopez, Margarita salt, swizzles, creme de menthe and cherries.

On 2004-06-24 13:55, lanikai wrote:

On 2004-06-24 13:18, Johnny Dollar wrote:

Some time ago, a batch of labels were ordered that were too big for the bottles. Although the error was spotted pretty quickly, no one actually did anything about it because everyone thought someone else would do it. Eventually it got to a stage where no one could be bothered because the labels still worked as it was, and customers were still buying Angostura. The oversized label has actually become a design classic and makes Angostura instantly recognisable from other bitters brands, and it’s great at catching kamikaze drips, too. bedsides, there's something in the bitters that is sensitive to light. Since a bottle of Angostura lasts for a long time, it was considered not too bad of an idea for the label to extend a little up the neck of the bottle to give some shade.

malama ki'i kahiko

Here is a reply I received from Angostura when asked if the label was made to protect the product from light:

Thank you very much for your inquiry!

There are many ‘myths’ and stories that surround the curious label on the Angostura® aromatic bitters bottle. One of these stories is that the two brothers Siegert (sons of the founder Dr. J.G.B Siegert) were commissioned to do the packaging for the bitters: one was to get the bottle, one to get the label. Each one went to buy what they were told to and when they met back up it turned out that the label was too big for the bottle but because they were under time constraints to bottle the product they just went with the oversized label. It is also said that this label has won an award in the UK for ‘world’s worst label’.

In actuality, you are correct and the label is that large to keep out the light so the bitters doesn’t change colour.

As this is such a trademark of the brand by now and everyone recognizes it by its oversized label we certainly do no anticipate any change in the packaging.

I hope I have answered your question and for your information, we will be launching an Angostura bitters website (www.angosturabitters.com) in the next month where you will find recipes (both cocktail and cooking), events, and historical information on Angostura bitters. So watch this space!

Thanks for your inquiry,

Regards,
Corinna Meyr
Brand Development Executive
CL World Brands
Tel: +1 868 623 1841
http://www.clworldbrands.com
http://www.angosturabitters.com

And so ends the mystery...

Rich

[ Edited by: JerseyRED on 2004-08-19 06:48 ]

Haahaahaa! You can't mod what I take out!

Don't trust the moderators! They have secret powers!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:22 ]

J

I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread here, but just in case Humuhumu's friend in Knoxville still can't find bitters, the Swankys and I went to a store called McScrooge's Wine & Spirits in Knoxville last week. They had a HUGE selection of bitters including Fee Brothers, Bittermans, Bitter Truth, Stirrings and a bunch of others I've never seen. I picked up a couple I'd been looking for. The same store also has a very respectable rum selection, including some very expensive ones in a secret room in the back where they keep all the high-end (read: expensive) stuff. They even had El Dorado 21 minis!!! If I thought my car could handle another drive across those mountains (from Charlotte), I'd pay that store a visit a couple times a year

If you don't live close to a decent supply of bitters, just go online to Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=bitters&sprefix=bitters%2Caps%2C233

I went in my local liquor shop, saw no orgeat and turned for the door. The old ladies working there asked what I came in for. Both said they had never heard of orgeat and started laughing like I was an idiot.

J

On 2015-12-28 17:15, Adam Aku Aku wrote:
I went in my local liquor shop, saw no orgeat and turned for the door. The old ladies working there asked what I came in for. Both said they had never heard of orgeat and started laughing like I was an idiot.

Your profile says you're in Portland. B.G.Reynolds now has a brick & mortar tasting room there that sells their syrups. I love their Orgeat.
http://www.bgreynolds.com/tasting-room/

Portland also has Aviation Gin... What a city! :)

J

They have House Spirits, which makes Aviation Gin AND some really good rum!

re the title of this thread, i just don't pay no heed to the things my liquor store calls me...

J

My liquor store calls me the "Rum Queen of South Carolina", which is odd since I live in North Carolina. No, really. The spirits buyer actually gave me that nickname and calls me when new (to the store) rums becomes available to ask if he should get them. It is a wise man who admits there are others who know more than he.

Pages: 1 25 replies