Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Blue Hawaiians

Pages: 1 26 replies

Anyone here fans of the Blue Hawaiians ? "Sway" is in my opinion, one of the best surf records ever. I used to see them at the Lava Lounge in Hollywood when they were doing Sunday nights. It was always really crowded and uncomfortable, but they always rocked.
Anyone know if they are still doing shows? I know they revisited the Lava a few months ago, but I couldn't make it. I'd love to see them again.
Their steel player was great and I actually hired him to play on a record of mine.

I agree, "Sway" by the Blue Hawaiians is one great album. I pulled it out of my CD pile last week & gave it another listen. I had forgotten how great this CD is.

I've also been a fan of The Blue Hawaiians--I have both "Sway" and "Savage Nights." I especially have always dug the "Swingin' Hula Girl" tune. I certainly hope that they're still together and will have some new stuff come out for us to enjoy~~CD

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:36 ]

I enjoy drinking blue hawaiians to the music of the blue hawaiians.
Aloha.

[ Edited by: tiki rider on 2004-06-21 09:17 ]

If you like the Blue Hawaiians, then check out the B.H's Gary Brandin and his son Geoff's project The Vanduras. It smokes!

I think they're still together. Their on the new Surfbands.com Summer Surf 2004 compilation along with the Cocktail Preachers, the Razorblades, the Moon-Rays, ect...

T

I've always cherished their christmas Cd "Christmas on Big Island". God Love Bing, Frank, and Dean-o but the Blue Hawaiians make me want to hang starfish and shells on my christmas tree whenever the yuletide season rolls around.

The Blue Hawaiians played my wedding.

I too would like to know where they're currently playing.

I once saw them play the W Hollywood House of Blues with some of the members of Tower of Power providing horns. They blew the roof off that place. They opened for the Ventures, IIRC.

[ Edited by: Tiki Brad on 2004-07-21 12:27 ]

I heard they broke up for the most part, but still play every once in awhile at the Lava Lounge. I saw them play there about 3 weeks ago and it was a great time. Short set, but a good one.

Bong is right about the Vanduras. They're really good. A different sound than the Blue Hawaiians, but still very kick back, lounge type stuff. Lots of steel guitar, which is what I dug so much about the Blue Hawaiians.

Mark Sproull of the Blue Hawaiians is a friend of mine. We both played in bands for many years in Laguna Beach, CA. He used to come in and watch our band on nights when he wasn't gigging somewhere. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I found out he was the guitarist for the Blue Hawaiians. Mark is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Another friend and local musician who occasionally plays with BH is guitarist Phil Gough. Anything Phil is involved in is awesome. Check hard to find CDs of The Gnarly Bras or The Rebel Rockers to hear an example of sheer versatility.

Another Blue Hawaiians fan here! Superb stuff, from the tune selection to the arrangements to the tones and performances. A major source of inspiration for my band without a doubt.

Just got the Blue Hawaiians "Live at the Lava Lounge"......ROCKS!

Get their Christmas Album.

"Christmas on Big Island."

Best Tiki Christmas album I know!

TR

The Blue Hawaiians music is also featured on the SpongeBob show.

I got the "Live at the Lava Lounge CD many years back and was hooked as a fan. It's a fun disc. They were a pleasure to listen to...great sound.

RB

Just picked up the "Christmas on Big Island" CD...wow! I'm not a huge fan of surf music, but this one is perfect. A definite tiki Christmas classic.

[ Edited by: Rum Balls 2006-12-12 08:14 ]

Their version of the Charlie Brown Christmas tune is SO great--El Vez does a DEAD ON version of that even with the Rod McKuen 'rap' on it (don't EVER call what Rod McKuen did 'singing'!)
I got those guys ( I think it was the drummer ) to make me TAPES of their stuff when I didn't have a CD player by calling a number out of the TIKI NEWS--yes they are the NICEST PEOPLE ever--we talked for a long time on my companies dime...this was a LONG TIME ago but I still have the tapes---WAY good.

and YES I do have a CD player now!

damn thats crazy.

is it outta print?
or is that just a typo?

Jeff(btd)

T

On 2009-11-05 17:49, bigtikidude wrote:
damn thats crazy.

is it outta print?
or is that just a typo?

Jeff(btd)

Maybe the seller is on crack.

That's a $2.99 CD at Amoeba.

Still, my favorite surf record of all time.

I gave my copy a couple of months ago.
When tried to find a new one I found this precios locos and panicked.
Finally just bought one for 15$.
If somebody is interested in the record doesn´t seem like a good idea to wait much longer...

BB

Maybe they were given an ultimatum like “List that CD on eBay or I'll put a curse on you! It doesn’t have to sell just list it.” It could happen. :)

S

At least it ships for free!!!

TM

Hi RSJ!!

Pages: 1 26 replies