Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

50 First Dates, what TIKI resteraunt?

Pages: 1 6 replies

J
Jay_G posted on Sat, Jun 19, 2004 2:43 AM

I rented 50 First Dates last week. It was much better then I expected and nearly the whole thing takes place in Hawaii.

In one scene Adam Sandler is on a date with another girl in a very cool looking Tiki bar. Giving Bowls of blue drink to his date.
Is that the Trader Vics in Hawaii? Or some place in LA, or a movie set?

There is on in Disney Haunted mansion, that looked cool also, anyone know where that was?

Did anyone here see "North Shore" on Fox last week? It's a new show, about a hotel in Hawaii. It was good eye candy and I'll TIVO it for a while, but it could go either way for me. Could become my favorite show, or could be total crap. It kind of reminded me of the Love Boat. I've got to go to Hawaii, I'm adicted to Hawaiian stuff and I've never been.

_ Jay

L

On 2004-06-19 02:43, Jay_G wrote:
I rented 50 First Dates last week. It was much better then I expected and nearly the whole thing takes place in Hawaii.

In one scene Adam Sandler is on a date with another girl in a very cool looking Tiki bar. Giving Bowls of blue drink to his date.
Is that the Trader Vics in Hawaii? Or some place in LA, or a movie set?

big walrus scenes filmed on da mainland.

t'aint no TV round deze parts, pardner.

will haveta force down a few maitais and watch the movie complete with Schneider's incredibly insulting depiction of a local...

the things we do for love...

L

On 2004-06-19 02:50, lanikai wrote:

On 2004-06-19 02:43, Jay_G wrote:

yep... insults were generated toward islanders in the movie; 50 first whatevahs

Rob Schneider plays a local named Ula. he speaks with some kinda weird
Mexican accent. (closest thing I can think of...) not local at all.

The site describes its characters:

"...sue and nick work at the Houkilau cafe and try to help lucy (drew
barrymoore) with her problem. Nick's not very bright so its not easy.
after all, he has a tattoo on his face and thinks spam grows on
trees..."

gimme a break. when will it end?!

That is the junkest Pidgin since Hawaii 5-0. Wot? Bumatai boys were busy?

Ula grunts:

"aloha! sorree ubout chore breein."

"whot choo teenk yore doeeng comeeng ovur here, takeeng oar pineupples!?"

and whats with that white boy fake reggae?!
"whoooaooo amber is the color of your energyyyy..."

huh!?

a boycott of the film shoulda ensued purely on the basis of the movie's
sheer stupidity quotient.

reminds me of that old media adage:
"Just because the american public will eat crap doesn't mean you
haveta serve it to them!"

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/50firstdates/

J
Jay_G posted on Sat, Jun 19, 2004 4:04 AM

lanikai,

The people who work in the Cafe looked (to me) like hawaiians, I though Schnieder looked like a wierd mexican cartoon pirate.
I thought of him as a stoner, more then a local. Maybe that part should have been played by Keanu Reeves.

Anyway my intention was to find out what resteraunt they were in, not plug a movie that's offencive to people from Hawaii.

Did you find it offencive that Dodge wants to name a new minivan with Woody sides the Kahuna?

I don't get offended, was expecting to get offened by Shalow Hal because I've always been fat, but when I finally saw it, I thought it was great.

_ Jay

L

On 2004-06-19 04:04, Jay_G wrote:
lanikai,

Anyway my intention was to find out what resteraunt they were in, not plug a movie that's offencive to people from Hawaii.

I believe all and sundry understand that..

and my intention was to convey my perspective and views of da flick as well as to say; will view it again and try fo find out what tiki bar was at.

Did you find it offencive that Dodge wants to name a new minivan with Woody sides the Kahuna?

yep. Oh yesindeedeee. youbetcha.

and thats been discussed in other noose groups to death and a big petition was started and international press was generated and Dodge hemmed and hawed and made excuses and withdrew the stew-peed idea.

I don't get offended, was expecting to get offened by Shalow Hal because I've always been fat, but when I finally saw it, I thought it was great.

I thought that movie was phat.

T

Ok great topic to get in on.

1. I just bought this movie, yes Lanikai I spent hard earned money on this, and laughed my considerable ass off. And it was one of Sandlers better movies, but what made it better it that it looks as if 99% was done on the islands.

2. To me it was great that it was filmed in Hawaii, I hope that more things TV/Movie wise are done there also to put more money in the islands and the communities to support them, the people, the schools, etc.
    Bring back Hawaii 5-0! (barely old enough to remember that, but would love to see a cop show done right on the islands)But only if they show how it really is instead of what they think it is.

3. I do agree that "Tattoo Face" and Ula in the movie come across BAD in their depiction of Hawaiians. As a howle for over 2 years on Oahu I loved my time there, if I could return with my family I would be there in a heartbeat. I remember that mainlanders do not really understand what it is like to live on the islands, they come to paradise, drink-party-go home, and never really have a clue of what the really beauty of the islands is, to me it was always the feeling of being on a whole different rhythm with everything around you, and if you made friends with the locals you made friends for life. Which is rarely true on the mainland. I guess I better stop, as you can see I miss living on Oahu, been living in the snow zone too long, 9am and I need to go make a drink now.

"May the Tiki Gods bless you and always keep your life Tikifull!"

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-19 07:59 ]

saw it last nite...

although some of the depictions of islanders may be cartoonish, the dvd had a section with some real locals explaining pidgin. i found it fairly well done, and when you contrast the real folks with the cartoonish movie ones, things balance out a bit... imho

Pages: 1 6 replies