Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Info on a Peanut style barrel mug

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

Alright all you tiki collecting superstars. I could use your help...

I have been looking for the Barrel/Tumbler style Peanut mugs on page 34 of TikiQuest (especially, the green one in the upper right corner). I have done searches using "Barrel" & "Peanut", but have found nothing.

Could any of you give me more info on this mug that might help narrow my search? If not Trader Vic's, whose are they?

Much appreciated,

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-06-25 08:10 ]

DZ

I've seen the green one before - it has the location on the underside, but I can't seem to remember what it was (Kowloon? Kuo Wah?) It's on the smaller side, actually more of a cup than a mug, and also comes in blue. Pretty sure it's an OMC.

M

Mahalo DrZ. That gets me one step closer, but I still can't seem to find anything... Humfph.

I'd love to get my hands on one or two of these in both stuyles.

Boutiki? Any light you can shine on this?

hi machtiki~

yep, you are talking about the coveted islander mug. it is manufactured by otagiri. ive never seen it in blue though. here it is in all of its glory:

one was recently sold to our good friend maxifac over ebay. it was a 'buy it now' and he caught it within an hour of its listing. i swear he must work for ebay!

good luck with your quest in obtaining one. ive been trying to get one for SIX years!! i want that mug so freaking bad. its really sad. :(

M

You da BOMB tikicleen! That's the one.

I was hoping that this would be a fairly easy to obtain mug... Story of my life. Add one more to my "maybe someday" list.

T

MT~ sent you an email about this mug.

B

MachTiki,
That is a cool mug. There are at least two sizes, and I've seen them glazed both green and matte/gloss (I don't recall ever having seen a blue one, but they could very well be out there). On page 34 of T.Q. the green one on top is shorter and wider at 3"tall, 4"wide and is marked "Mini Mai Tai Kuo Wah restaurant San Francisco". I think there may have been other places that had them custom imprinted also. The matte/gloss one below is 3 1/4"tall and 3"wide (same as the green Islander tikicleen posted). Ours is marked on the bottom in black "import by otagiri co" (rather than the foil sticker) on the bottom, no restaurant name.

Like Tiki Leilani, people dismiss the classic "peanut" Tiki, but I think it's a great design and I love the variety of colors, and bars that you can find it from. The only fully glazed version I've seen is the Hawaiian Inn one we have—does anyone have any others? Like Doctor Z's barrel mugs, it would be cool for folks to post all kinds of variations of the peanut mug in different colors and from different locations.

No markings, looks like it might be a craft mug.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 23:56 ]

A

Trader Dicks, Oceanic Arts and The Islander

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-06-27 09:56 ]

B

I like your sconce Al!

Pages: 1 9 replies