Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha Spirit

Pages: 1 26 replies

[ Edited by: purple jade 2005-08-25 09:38 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Jun 26, 2004 4:56 PM

T

Purple Jade, mahalo for posting that.

I would expect avoidance of self-righteousness should fit in there somewhere, too. :)

I have learned from personal experience that having NO opinion is a "safe" way to avoid conflict in a social group.

Unfortunately, if everyone takes on that approach then conversation never gets very deep or complex. Real relationships are difficult to develop.

We straddle a line between an intimate group of freinds and a diverse group of acquaintances. Comments between an intimate group of freinds can get personal and off color. That approach builds strong freindships and sometimes enemies. Comments in a diverse group of acquaintances must be much more sensitive to everyones feelings.

The only way to consider everyones opinion or feelings is to say everything and nothing. Sort of a politicians approach.

If I want distant and unpersonal interaction, I will get it from the folks at work. I come here to have people who I regard highly tell it like it is and sometimes get supported and sometimes get blasted. I find it much more meaningful.

Can we be pleasant, genuine, and honest at the same time? I don't know.

T

Yeah, telling someone they have no Aloha Spirit is like calling someone 'Un-American'. It's really lost any meaning, if it had any to begin with.

But I should stay out of this. It' would be Un-Canadian of me to get involved in conflict!

On 2004-06-28 15:49, tikifish wrote:
Yeah, telling someone they have no Aloha Spirit is like calling someone 'Un-American'. It's really lost any meaning, if it had any to begin with.

But I should stay out of this. It' would be Un-Canadian of me to get involved in conflict!

Tikifish,

This is a fun little joke down here (below you all):

Why did the Canadian cross the road? To get to the middle (laugh here)!

[i]On 2004-06-26 16:45, purple jade wrote:

"The Aloha Spirit Law is an ACTUAL law "on the books" in Hawaii, encoded in the Hawaii Revised Statutes, section 5-7.5 and acknowledges that The Aloha Spirit "was the working philosophy of native Hawaiians and was presented as a gift to the people of Hawai`i.

The Aloha Spirit (Full Text)
(a) The Aloha Spirit is the coordination of mind and heart within each person. It brings each person to the Self. Each person must think and emote good feelings to others.

Excellent advice and great explanation!

I also love the citation to the Hawaii code.

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2004 8:17 AM

I tend to apply the three-strike rule.
1st strike = benefit of the doubt
2nd strike = beginning to have real doubt
3rd strike = it's in them
Anything after that = I'm doubting myself, meaning I must be a sucker
I say I apply that rule, but really, I like to think the best of everyone and often don't live by my own rules.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:47 ]

On 2004-06-28 14:27, Monkeyman wrote:
I have learned from personal experience that having NO opinion is a "safe" way to avoid conflict in a social group.

Yeah but that's just your opinion! :D

Yeah but that's just your opinion! :D

double your flounder :)

alo-ha!

with my limited knowledge of the Hawaiian culture, gleaned mainly from hanging out on the Big Island, if you commit an act which violates Hawaiian code ("kapu" or taboo) bad things occur (like 7 day food poisoning - I learned that one the hard way!); but there is a place you can go to in Kona called the Place of Refuge for asbolution from your kapu sins, if you can get there before the "law" gets you first.

It's a very beautiful and mysterious place, with white sand beaches, world-famous tikis and heiaus (sacred buildings), clear ponds, palm trees, historical stuff, snorkeling and good vibes.

maybe we have a virtual version of the Place of Refuge here on TC already - or can we set it up? You have to work hard to get to it though - much like any atonement for your sins (e.g., a public apology or flogging)

*On 2004-06-26 16:45, purple jade wrote:*I have observed this group (yes, and other groups too) condone a certain amount of unsporting behavior amongst its members as long as it is done clandestinely and/or the perpetrator keeps on a cheerful smile all the while, so that the group is not forced to acknowledge it. Choosing not to look at the decay won't stop a house from falling down. Or to use a more relevant vernacular, merely not watching the bartender make your Mai Tai with improper ingredients won't make it taste any better.

I assumed Aloha spirit meant Hawaiian rum.....but seriously folks, the Aloha Spirit just boils down to basic kindness and decency as far as I'm concerned. Treat people that way you'd like to be treated yourself and all that.

Maybe it's the Monty Python fan in me but sometimes I really enjoy reading or participating in a good argument. Disagreeing with someone doesn't have to mean that you suddenly dislike them or even stop loving them. It's just a good way of hammering out ideas within yourself or others.
(Politics and religion are notable exceptions because ideas are usually so entrenched that nobody benefits apart from those selling blood pressure pills. That's why it was great when those topics were banned from TC)

If you behave badly in front of your peers it's only right that they pile in and give you a friendly nudge in the right direction. Far better to catch such behavior in the early stages than let it continue while your blood goes up a few degrees with each transgression.

I've done dumb things on Tiki Central but have only changed or apologised when I've been alerted to it (or awaken from the hangover and thought 'what have I done!')

But yeah, kindness and decency are the crucial things for me and I come to Tiki Central because, for the most part, it's overflowing with the stuff.

Trader Woody

On 2004-09-09 07:53, Johnny Dollar wrote:
double your flounder :)

Double your Flounder, Double your Fun with DoubleFish Gum!

D

I am amazed this thread resurfaced. Trippy! One of TC's better topics, IMHO :D

F

On 2004-06-26 18:54, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Purple Jade, mahalo for posting that.

I agree, Purple Jade, that was very nice.

Kelly,

Forgive me for not posting in the last day or two. I should have been more supportive. I want you to know that you are always on my A-list. In a year or two's time, I want to open a tiki bar in Milwaukee. When it happens, you will be on the top of the VIP list. You helped bring tiki to the midwest, and changed my life with your enthusiasm, and open heart.

Aloha, my friend. The next drink is on me.

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-09-09 13:42 ]

[i]On 2004-09-09 11:46, Trader Woody wrote:

I assumed Aloha spirit meant Hawaiian rum.....

or a Mai Tai? I believe the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki claims to be the originator of the Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-09-10 19:00 ]

Unfortunately, if everyone takes on that approach then conversation never gets very deep or complex. Real relationships are difficult to develop.

We straddle a line between an intimate group of freinds and a diverse group of acquaintances. Comments between an intimate group of freinds can get personal and off color. That approach builds strong freindships and sometimes enemies. Comments in a diverse group of acquaintances must be much more sensitive to everyones feelings.

The only way to consider everyones opinion or feelings is to say everything and nothing. Sort of a politicians approach.

If I want distant and unpersonal interaction, I will get it from the folks at work. I come here to have people who I regard highly tell it like it is and sometimes get supported and sometimes get blasted. I find it much more meaningful.

Can we be pleasant, genuine, and honest at the same time? I don't know.

Arrrrrrrr!!!!?????????

Ben, come on Ben, be a good Ben
You don't have to Ben-dover.
I Ben thinkin you need less AAARRRRGGG
and more Aloha.
Remember how much the Yoga helped your back
Well The Aloha can certainly do that for your Spirit.
What happens in the past should stay and we should embrace each new day with a new Aloha for everyone we meet.
And in the "mean" time STOP BEING SO GRUMPY YOU OLD FART!
Leave the Monkey alone he means no harm.
And Ben "ALOHA"
And I mean it !!!

On 2004-09-11 09:30, thebaxdog wrote:
Ben, come on Ben, be a good Ben
You don't have to Ben-dover.
I Ben thinkin you need less AAARRRRGGG
and more Aloha.
Remember how much the Yoga helped your back
Well The Aloha can certainly do that for your Spirit.
What happens in the past should stay and we should embrace each new day with a new Aloha for everyone we meet.
And in the "mean" time STOP BEING SO GRUMPY YOU OLD FART!
Leave the Monkey alone he means no harm.
And Ben "ALOHA"
And I mean it !!!

Blah, Blah, Blah!

Did you not see the ??? on the end of the Arrrrrrrr!!!!, ? (open your eyes Bax!! or get your reading glasses! ) Sometimes Arrrrr!!!! is good and sometimes Arrrrrr!!!! is bad. Finger it out man! Am I happy or am I mad? You'll never know unless you are sitting next to me while I'm typing this.

Wellthen
A fricken AAAARRRRLOHAA!!!??? to you
Never mad just crazy
Hey, did you start on those logs?
Or AAARRRR they still to wet?

Great Point Purple Jade!
I ask what,why,when,where & who for myself. I know Life is not a Baseball game. You don't get three strikes. It's hard to know if you are helpful or overly-helpfull and an enabler. Some people just have to learn life the hard way. In the end life just moves on with or without you. It's allways hard to judge who stay and who goes or who you are done dealing with.
Life is to short not to enjoy.

B

Got Aloha?

Got AAAARRRRLOHAA!!!???

T

On 2004-11-10 12:32, Unga Bunga wrote:
Got AAAARRRRLOHAA!!!???

That's the shirt I want! :wink:

Pages: 1 26 replies