Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fish Tacos on the B-B-Q, Ventura CA style

Pages: 1 2 replies

I wanted to share my Fish Taco recipe, its a natural for a TiKi Fest as you make them 1 or 2 at a time and everyone eats around the B-B-Q area. Its easier than it sounds, but its worth the time invested and some what foolproof.

I like Halibut the best but most white fish works well. Figure 1/8 pound per person and small pieces work well. (kick that way up if teens are involved!)

eggs
water
fine bread crumbs
salt and pepper
corn tortillas
cabagge, shreded fine
sliced limes
Grilled green onion
Cilantro Pepita Dressing, recipe follows,

Get the coals medium hot, the great thing about this is if you have a main course on the grill, these can be made around the edges or work well on a gas grill also.

beat 2 eggs together 1/4 cup water
drench fish and bread lightly
put on grill and cook 2-3 min per side

Warm corn tortillas on grill, I use a cast iron skillet on a side burner,

Place fish on center of warm tortilla, sprikle with shreaded cabbage, spoon on dressing, garnish wit lime and roasted green onion.
Serve with roasted corn, salsas and chiles
and of course plenty of tortilla chips.
I recommend having plenty of Reverb Crash on hand to wash them down.

El Torito Cilantro Pepita Dressing
1 medium roasted peeled and seeded Anaheim chile (Leave in the seed for heat)
3 tablespoons roasted pumpkins seeds
1 clove garlic
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons grated Cotija cheese
1 small bunch cilantro
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons water

Pulse blend chile, pepitas, garlic, pepper, salt, oil, vinegar and Cotija cheese for 10 second. Slowly add cilantro until paste forms whisk mayonnaise and water in large bowl (preferably stainless steel) Stir in chile mixture Cover and chill at least two hours (Most of the markets around here sell little bottles of this for $4-5, much cheaper for a party to make it ahead of time, up to 2 days ahead.

Roasted corn
1 ear per person
limes quartered
pepper

Pull back the husk without breaking them, remove silk, re-wrap the hush (layer by layer, a great job for someone who "wants to help"
Place corn in clean bucket with fresh water for 15 min.
Place corn on edges of B-B-Q and watch for husk drying out, keep turning every 4-5 min until husk is completely dryed out and ready to burn, peel back husks, rub well with lime and pepper to taste. I often do this for my construction crew, corn and a case of Coronas with lime at the end of the day make some happy carpenters!
Hope you enjoy, I also have a "Mexican Crockpot" Tri Tip recipe if anyone is interested.

KK

That sounds tasty Banana Bob! The dressing sounds especially good, and will be tried at my home very soon. My favorite fish for tacos/burritos is Tilapia- very mild, sweet fish AND cheap too.

You know, if you mixed that dressing with the shredded cabbage ahead of time you would have a nice 'slaw. 'Slaw isn't as good on fish tacos, but I'm going to try making a little to serve with BBQ (I've got some of that dressing in the bottle from a friend).

Pages: 1 2 replies