Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sponge Bob Tiki

Pages: 1 14 replies

This may be old news to some of you, but has anyone noticed how much Tiki there is in SpongeBob Squarepants? SpongeBob's neighbor, Squidworth, lives inside a big tiki mug! There's a theatre they go to sometimes that is tiki big time, idols, masks, and music everywhere. And if you just pay attention, idols and masks show up in scenes all the time.

I just noticed because the kids like to watch it. The kids...yeah, that's the ticket...The kids like to watch it...no, really...

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3007&forum=1&vpost=26829

A SpongeBob Halloween extravaganza from one of our own.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-06-29 07:56 ]

Spongebob Rocks! The funniest thing since Ren & Stimpy and it has Tiki, what more bcould you want.

I'd like to know how many Ren and Stimpy artists work on SpongeBob, because the similarities are undeniable.

Anyone ever watch "Rocket Power"? Not the best show in the world but did have a few tiki moments. I used to be the color/background painting supervisor and got to do some cool tiki stuff in an episode where a Hawaiian character Tito gets homesick, so the kids throw him a tiki party! I made sure that I, myself, painted all the tikis for the episode! I don't work for that studio anymore, but I'll still try to find the images to upload!

Rocket Power was/is a cool show.

thanks, monkeyman! sometimes when you are too close to something, it loses a little luster and you forget how cool it is! Sorry you couldn't makeit to bongofury's party...hope you're feeling better!

Suburbanpagan, is Csupo as big an ass as I've heard? I like the guys musical & 'toon taste, but I've heard some stories of hissy fits & obnoxious behavior...

well, I know that after working with him for seven years, he still didn't have a clue as to who I was! As far as running a company, yes, he is an ass and is running it right into the ground! If the studio is still producing shows after January, I will be very surprised...they put all of their eggs in one basket (nickelodeon) and now Nick doesn't need them anymore! They produce their own stuff that is now much more popular. I heard a quote from a high up in the company saying that Nick isn't ordering any more Klasky stuff because the klasky style is "ugly" to paraphrase. Wow! Glad I escaped when I did rather than go down with the ship!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:32 ]

I've got the tiki house!

The Spongebob Aquarium set.

The Spongebob Pineapple Beta tank.

On 2004-06-29 12:06, suburbanpagan wrote:
well, I know that after working with him for seven years, he still didn't have a clue as to who I was! As far as running a company, yes, he is an ass and is running it right into the ground! If the studio is still producing shows after January, I will be very surprised...they put all of their eggs in one basket (nickelodeon) and now Nick doesn't need them anymore! They produce their own stuff that is now much more popular. I heard a quote from a high up in the company saying that Nick isn't ordering any more Klasky stuff because the klasky style is "ugly" to paraphrase. Wow! Glad I escaped when I did rather than go down with the ship!

When he worked for the Simpsons they came up with the Sleazy Doctor character Dr. Nick Riviera, who was supposed to sound like Ricky Ricardo, but "Accidentally" sounds like Mr Csupo...

The "ugly" crack probably came from higher up in Viacom, I think Nick still likes their work.

every once in a while, Gabor would enter a company meeting and say
"hello everybody" and people in the know would snicker!
let me just say that nick's orders went from 20 episodes to 6 to 3 to 0 on every show but "All Grown Up" which I did pre-production design on.

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-06-29 23:03 ]

OMG....I am just watching Spong Bob Squarepants for the first time this morning (my friend, her daughter, and the grandson-4 years old) are here, so Saturday morning cartoons are one. I love all the tiki stuff....too funny. The crab is may favorite character...those expressive eyes are a hoot. This cartoon is great.

Pages: 1 14 replies