Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

URGENT!!! La Jolla Tiki House in danger of demolition! Info needed!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies

Ok gang, I just got an email concerning a need for information on a certain architect, and a house he did that may be demolished.

If anyone has any info, please contact me. Please feel free to pass this on to ANYONE you think may have ANY info.

Email follows.....

"Greetings,

I have been hired to evaluate the historical significance of a 1948 vintage Polynesian style Mid Century Modern house in La Jolla, California. The current owner wishes to demolish the structure. I have evidence it was designed by Russell Forester, who achieved fame as a designer of architecture and art. Do you have any information on Forester Tiki Polynesian architecture?"

Bigbro? Anybody???

TikiGardener

[ Edited by: TIKIGARDENER on 2004-06-29 21:20 ]

TG,
Where is it? What's the address?
Mahalo,
Al

I don't know, the text I posted is pretty much all the person who contacted me provided. I did some sleuthing on the internet, and it seems amongst other things, the architect was the designer of Jack in the Box restaraunts! He seems to have been of enough significance that any homes he designed are at least important to San Diego History.

I've asked the person to get photos, at least to preserve its memory if it gets torn down.

As/if I find out more, I'll post it.
TG

After forwarding on some info I found, here is the reply I got

"Thank you for your guidance. I have been asked to review the evidence and
prepare a second opinion. I can tell you house is located at 348 Vista de la
Playa, La Jolla, California and the widow of Russell Forester declared this was an
early design by Forester in 1947-1948. The style appears to be a beach
cottage, rather than a tiki temple. The roof lines, glass windows facing the ocean,
board siding, and general appearance hints at what would become the classic
1950-1959 tiki style. Forester studied design in 1950-1951 and became
internationally famous for the Meisan style in architecture, paintings, and sculpture.
This would become the broad scope of the Tiki Polynesian art form. Although he
moved on to pure art in his later years, this house would be one of the
earliest surviving examples of architecture from this period of his career. The City
of San Diego will decide the fate of this building."

So less a tiki temple, more a precursor. But no less deserving of preservation.

If anybody drives by it, it'd be cool to see what it looks like. And if anybody has any additional info on the architect, I'd be interested.
TG

TG, I've printed the page & I'll try to get over there after work (I work behind the Pyramid in Mira Mar for those that know SD), but I gotta warn you I get lost in La Jolla almost every time I go there...

T
TM posted on Wed, Jun 30, 2004 7:52 PM

Please look at http://www.modernsandiego.com. These guys are really tuned into San Diego Modern.

Tony

Pages: 1 5 replies