Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Beach Festival iv any body attending

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

I've got lot's of Tiki Beach pics in the "Creating Tikis" Forum, which is my home neighborhood on TC. Come on over & check 'em out:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10554&forum=7&4

Glad to meet all of the carvers and vendors & sorry if I didn't get you all on digital film.

Hi, Weence. Your pic with MEAN GENE didn't come out at all. However, I did get a few pics of those really nice tikis on either side of your booth, & I'm going to edit my post to add them tomorrow. Regardless of the fact that there was no rum in those pineapple smoothies, I think I screwed up the name of your booth, which I listed as Tiki Mania. I think I may have also screwed up your husband's name and/or mixed up all of the business cards that I collected....I'M SO CONFUSED! Please set me straight!

Hey Spermy, that's a real..er...original username you've got there. You'll fit right in! Welcome to TC!

Had a great time - let's do it again!

Aaron

Got to meet Tiki Tony for the first time and he rocks! Thanks for spiking my icy Tony!!!! Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor in the near future.

CA

man... i wish we had more of yuz at sunset Sunday.... finally got away from my booth to enjoy my self and danced with Humuhumu till every joint hurt. My feet might be in the sands of the pacific but my heart is in Africa... Via Brazil this time! This was the second year the most fantastic Brazilian based funk band closed out the show. LB locals, they kick ass... traditional carnival to funk... sweet...stay till the end next year... (although I didn't bring a jacket and split myself before the beach blanket movie began)
Thanks for all the support again folks, AND HUGE THANKS TO FRED the organizer! Very generous dude.

Yes what they allsaid with a cherry on top. The Fest was a really good time, and seems to be getting better each year. It was great hanging out with everybody while showing my stuff and on the beach to boot! Thanks to all that stopped by the booth and hung out. Next year I'll set up a sand lounge area for my TC folks. Fred the organizer is a classy gent. Not to sound like a used car salesman, but I do have seven event mugs left if anyone wants one. "Would you like some socks with that sir?" ha

H

On 2004-08-24 04:38, crazy al wrote:
finally got away from my booth to enjoy my self and danced with Humuhumu till every joint hurt.

My calves are so sore they are absolutely screaming... but you know what they're screaming? TAKE US DANCING MORE OFTEN! It may not have been a strictly tiki band, but I find personally to reach that same state of savage abandon that our midcentury compatriots did with a backyard luau, I require a Latin rhythym!

I had a great time at the beach, it was way more fun than I thought it would be. Number One reason it was a blast: 2QueerTikis were there! They need to post more often. The middle part of the day I must admit is a bit of a blurry whirlwind to me (I lost my flip flops and wound up driving home barefoot--it was just like being in Hawaii! :) )

Shell in the Pacific:

Mean Gene and his swell shirt:

Bamboo Ben and his troupe of marauding hottentots:

The Smokin' Menehunes (with Crazy Al):

2QueerTikis, floratina, Shelley & I took a break at this bar midday... 2QueerTikis thought it was a gay bar, until I pointed out that it had this picture with all these lovely ladies out front! Clearly, this joint was for the het-er-ohs!

After the bar, we stopped by our favorite vendor at the Fest:

(Sure made those pineapples happier!)

Alnshely:

Manhandling the tikis:

I think this same carver (Zachary?) did the poles in front of the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach--I think someone told me that, or I just recognized the style, or I'm completely incorrect:

Is the dog guarding the tiki? Or is the tiki guarding the dog?

Enjoying a happy pineapple while chatting with the carvers:

2QueerTikis:

Polynesian Pop & Al:

King Kukulele hanging out at Danny's booth:

Me with my latest Crazy Al acquisition:

Even Bamboo Handbag got a sandy bottom:

Crazy Al goes bananas during the King's act:

Tiki Diablo (begging for some Photoshopped horns):

Sunset Shelley:

Sunset Crazy Al:

Mean Gene's booth:

The naughty kids take a breather in the parking lot:

Wowzers! What a great event! Can't wait til next year.

The rest of my Long Beach Tiki Fest photos:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/long_beach_tiki_fest/

Can you say Caption Contest?

Great pics humuhumu! Looks like a great time was had by all. Another socal event we'll have to add to the schedule for the future.

vw

W

Hey Aaron....I think you may have mistaken us w/TikiMania (no problem =)). Our booth was FallingCocos. Humuhumu took alot of great pics, including 2 of my hubbie, MeanGene (in the bright orange shirt).....they may ring a bell. I was a little surprised when you said our (my) picture didnt turn out because I was only at the fest for about 15min. We drove up from San Diego & my 2yrold daughter got very sick, so we hung in the hotel for a couple hours then her & I headed back home. I linked to your photos though.....you have some great pics too!

CoconutKiss- Thanks so much for giving Gene a shirt for our little girl. She loved it!!! Ill email you a pic of her wearing it soon. Will you be vending at the big Pacific Islanders Festival next month in San Diego???

Is anyone going to that? I think it may be during Hukilau weekend, so maybe those of you who cannot get out to Florida (unfortunately we cannot) will come down south. Should be fun!

-weence
http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: Weence on 2004-08-24 22:15 ]

My bad...I' think I'l bring some rum next time - it might help. Got my usernames mixed up. Coulda swore I met a weence, though. Oh well.

My wife just returned from the Beach fest and she brought me Tiki Diablo and Crazy Al's mug!! Sweeet! Hey Polypop, glad the wife ran into you in our old hometown of Long Beach. If we make it down in September we'll be sure to call.

On 2004-08-25 08:09, tiki-riviera wrote:
Hey Polypop, glad the wife ran into you in our old hometown of Long Beach. If we make it down in September we'll be sure to call.

Yeah -- that was cool. I was thinking of you guys when I drove thru Second Street and then coincidentally, I bumped into Kendra. Small World I tell ya...

If you guys make it down in September, please shoot me an email. It would be cool to get together again!

Pages: 1 2 58 replies