Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

escalating munktiki prices - making mugs

Pages: 1 5 replies

J
jtiki posted on Tue, Sep 3, 2002 11:46 AM

As a measure of the growing popularity of the whole Tiki thing, am I mistaken, or does it seem the Ebay Munktiki prices have taken an up turn (surprising in these down turn times)? Shag too, although I pay less attention to his prices - since they are already so far out of reach.

I doubt very much if Stuckey even keeps track; (he's seemed pretty laid back in my exchanges) but I would not doubt that one of the obsessed has been monitoring prices. Am I imagining?

Also, i've seen the question asked a few times, but I don't think I have ever seen it answered; is there a documented "How to" for making your own mugs, when you can no longer afford to buy them?

tanks - j

I make mugs from old vintage molds I find. There in no "how to" that I know of. It does cost a lot of money to start making them. The kiln is your biggest expense. Well the kiln and the power bill. I could kind of run through what you have to do to make one if you want.

me and my partners made our first 200 mugs for our Kreepy Tiki lounge, and the most trouble was making an actual mold that worked .we finally got it after a few bad attempts .the thing we did was have them kilned in a local ceramic shop ,and everything else we did ourselves. I encourage you to do it ,it would be kool to have more kool New mugs to collect as the old ones we usually see always seem to be the same ones for crazy prices. "Kreepy Tiki for hire" Jaksin

L
luau63 posted on Fri, Sep 6, 2002 7:20 AM

getting back to what jtiki asked [do munktiki mug prices seem to be increasing on ebay?] i would say, no. in the last couple of weeks they seemed to top out at about $25...and a few months ago they ended at $40 to $60. i think the newer ones do sell for more. but you can get the johnny ltd mug for the mid-$20s lately. luau63

I see the prices for many of the Munktiki mugs going up. When I bought the Poison mug at $61, that was the highest price for a present Monktiki offering at that time. That same mug just when for $86.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2137482813

That's a lot of bones for a new mug.

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2002-09-09 06:56 ]

T

I've been pretty lucky lately with Muntiki mugs. Ususally getting the for about $25 more than the starting price. The most I paid for a mug was aroun $55 for a Gabalini (sp.) the one with the gold trim. I was going to hold back till a higher number, but BDay money made it easier to swallow the price. I lucked out a few months ago buying a sold-out Chongo for about $45, which was cheaper than the seller paid. Karma in check though, I felt OK buying it since I probably paid way to much for other Ebay mugs prior to that. Been trying to stay away from Ebay for a while, holding out for new Shag set. Still want a Poison Mug though. Got Bills Bills Bills to pay.

Oh damn priorities!

:sheckymug:

Pages: 1 5 replies