Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Vinyl Records Decoration?

Pages: 1 31 replies

I've often seen in magazines and such, people taking there old Vinyl Records (the cases) and using them as mini posters on there wall. The look (in my opinion) is great with all the old style 50's-60's grafix. I was wondering if anyone here in Tiki Central has done this and how they went about doing it, I mean I'm sure there has to be a better way then to just nail the cases to the wall, or if there is a link anyone knows off hand. Thanks in advance everyone!

There are several people here who can give you better ideas than this, but if you're not handy (or just lazy), Restoration Hardware has these:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/page.jhtml?type=product&categoryId=cat290015&id=94

Yeah those are nice..I have a few. I(yuc)KEA has some big square frames that the sleeves look nice in too, and some smaller ones that fit 45's. I think even some record stores sell frames as well.

T

Great topic RentaHero, I've always liked that look as well. I've picked up a couple of Tiki/Hawaiian/Exotica albums over the years and am also looking for a way to display them. I've bought one of those record frames and they look great, but for $12.00 a frame it will be a bit pricey to frame all. I've been thinking about making my own out of shoe moulding and plexiglass. Any links or advice.....

I decorated the walls of my first house entirely with album covers. I was exceedingly poor at the time and just put them up with thumb tacks.

I didn't have the nerve to do it again on the freshly painted walls of my second house, so whenever I see album frames on sale, I pick up as many as I can afford.

(I suck at posting pictures.)

[ Edited by: Tiki-Kate on 2004-07-10 20:41 ]

Your better than me at posting pics!

Have you ever made your own record frames?

On 2004-07-10 20:51, FreakBear wrote:
Your better than me at posting pics!

Have you ever made your own record frames?

You should have seen my post before I edited it. Tiny pictures. They still didn't turn out as big as I wanted them to be. Oh well.

No. I've never tried making record frames. I've sure thought about it often enough though. I'd like to make some out of bamboo. I just bought a bunch of albums with luau scenes on the covers, and I thought I'd put them on the dining room wall.

I've actually thought of laser-copying my album jackets and framing the copies. But the albums are too big for scanner or copier. Has anyone had luck with this?

ABC Distributors has some frames for sale pretty cheap. My wife's compnay orders from them all the time, so we ordered 10 pairs. Hey I have alot of records and $5.95 is a great deal for a pair! You get a choice of silver, black or dark walnut for the frame color.

heres the url: http://www.abcdistributing.com/store/074OF1/324b.cfm?q=album%20frames&prevIndex=0&nextIndex=2&t=2&cart=

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-07-11 12:44 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 6:47 PM

Thanks for the link Unkle John! That's a great deal.

No problem guys, what's a good unkle for if he can't find good stuff for you all (and teach you how to drink and smoke... but that's besides the point)

I did a row of records all along the upper edge of the walls in Aku Hall.

I just used a 1/4" square dowel and some basic moulding to make a little shelf. If you get some moulding about 1" high, and nail it to the dowel (so that it forms an L-shape when seen from the side), just nail that to the wall.

Then, to keep the records from falling forwards, I put thumb tacks into the wall about 3" from the top of the wall, near the ceiling, spaced every fourth record or so. I stretched fishing line between the tacks to keep the records in place. It's elegant and invisible. Holds 'm roght against the wall without the need to create another dowel-n-moulding shelf along the tops of the records.

i have alot of vinyl and bought a bunch of those restoration hardware frames. i love them - i switch the albums out seasonally and for special occasions. right now - i have the ladies of love going...

all the covers feature lovely ladies lounging in their best dress up clothes or less... my favorite is "Warm and Tender" with a scantilly clad girl stroking her 'kitty cat' in her lap while reclining on a furry pink rug.

T

$5.95 A pair!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link Uncle John, your rock!!! You're a little late to be my smoking and drinking mentor though, I owe that to George Thorogood's Greatest Hits.

Tikibars, I love the way you displayed your album collection. I knew molding would work but i didn't know exactly how. Just like those damn algebra questions. You know the result, you just don't know how to get there. Thanks for the pics.

I made 3 for my wife awhile back. I built them so they could hold 6 or 7 record s with an opening at the top to slide them out. Htey stuck out of the wall about 1 inch. They are great for displaying covers when we get new ones.
i dont have any pictures of them yet, I had to take them down when I moved in. We had to make room for other stuff. i expect to be putting them back up soon.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 6:03 PM

On 2004-07-11 12:41, Unkle John wrote:
ABC Distributors has some frames for sale pretty cheap. My wife's compnay orders from them all the time, so we ordered 10 pairs. Hey I have alot of records and $5.95 is a great deal for a pair! You get a choice of silver, black or dark walnut for the frame color.

heres the url: http://www.abcdistributing.com/store/074OF1/324b.cfm?q=album%20frames&prevIndex=0&nextIndex=2&t=2&cart=

Hey Unkle John

I went to order those frames and it looks they sell to companies only. Anyway, I made up a company name and planned on going through the checkout process until I got to the payment part to see what shipping would be but they said Thanks for Your Order! And will be sending me an invoice along with the goods!

But it said that if any of your info is not verified the order will be cancelled.

Hmmmmm....I wonder what will happen??

hmm that's odd.... I guess I could take orders and have my wife get them :wink:

not to gloat, but I'm glad I find those frames (and of course passed the savings onto you guys and gals) because I got the new catalog from Urban Outfitters (you know the guys who couldn't ship the El Bastardo mugs correctly in a different Thread)they are selling A (one) record frame, only in black for $15 (plus shipping) IMHO.. what a rip off!

P.S. I just talked to my wife about the company deal, she said they probably want a whole seller #

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-07-13 21:12 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jul 26, 2004 8:41 PM

Tikibars, it's not often that I say this but "You've got too much stuff!"

Thanks Unkle John! I got my frames today. For $32.67 (incl S/H and taxes) I got eight walnut album frames. At just over $4 a frame I may have to order a bunch more. I'll do an album cover beauty pageant and see how many worthy contestants don't make the top eight.

The frames are just a hair on the cheap side (mostly the finish) but hey, I like slightly beat up thrift store frames and plus, these are wood. I prefer an imperfect wood frame over a perfect metal frame any day. Thanks again for the tip!

you guys and gals are most welcome.

my fave are my old Jackie Gleason records "Music to make her Misty" is fantastic.....! need some frames though...had my office decorated at work..now I've got a new gig, so I get to do it all over again! :D

For those who would like to hang record albums on their cubicle walls at work, Groovey Art makes a great plastic frame that you can stick some self-adhesive velcro to. It is the only frame I found that was light enough to hold a record and still stick to the fuzzy cubicle wall. The metal frames were too heavy and the velcro was unable to support them.

http://grooveyart.com/demo.htm

Two long strips of velcro attached to the back of the frame at the top and bottom work fine. These frames allow me to easily change the theme of my cubicle each month, according to what I find at garage sales and in my collection at home. This week: Drum Majorettes

T

On 2004-07-30 12:36, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
This week: Drum Majorettes

Odd fetish there, Tim.
:)

Do you listen to these?

I imagine they'd be just short of unbearable...?

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 7:21 PM

Sabu, you are a very complex and intriguing person. Seriously.

tikbars, have you ever written any tiki related pieces for any of the Chicago papers?

On 2004-07-30 12:36, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

sabu - you are my idol.

Found a great record mounting tip last night at the following link:

http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/lifestyle/record.php

Wal-Mart has square 14" x 14" frames that amost fit a record perfectly. I bought 5 frames last night at $7.99 a piece. Still 1/2 of what they cost at Michael's.

I will be putting a black burlap backing on the appx. 1/2" gap around the records. Joann's has burlap in several colors @ $3 a yard.

Enjoy!
Max aka DJ Mexstacy

Michael's Crafts has LP frames on sale 2 for $10 this week (6/12 - 6/18) which is a great price.

(Haven't actually seen them so I can't vouch for the quality.)

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-06-12 07:37 ]

Check out pg. 32 of Tiki Magazine for album cover wall art from Al & Shelley's Lagoon Room. I think the bamboo or (if you've got the bread) carved Koa wood frame is the way to go.

I just read an article in the local paper about a women who turns LP's into purses. She welds them somehow and sells them for $70-130 but I would wager our tiki ohana can do a better a cheaper job with a clear plastic form ...

any creative ohana out there know how to do this?

Urban Outfitters is selling their album frames at 2 for $22 right now, just thought I'd give a heads up.

K

Check out pg. 32 of Tiki Magazine for album cover wall art from Al & Shelley's Lagoon Room. I think the bamboo or (if you've got the bread) carved Koa wood frame is the way to go.

I've been looking for the bamboo frames to hang a couple of albums. Anyone know where they can be found?

I had vintage Exotica albums on the wall of my first tiki bar and used mirror harware to put them up. It's those small plastic "L" shaped clips that a screw goes through to hold mirrors on the wall. Most hardware stores sell them. I'll be using them again as soon as I get some time to hang the albums back up.

I did see the sale at Michael's this week and picked some frames up for another project I'm working on. They don't quite fit in the new tiki bar since the frames are black metal.

TTT :)

i just found these http://www.artvinyl.com/rtdirect/pd_mount.html ..kinda pricey, but very cool!
i dunno if i could engineer something like that myself, but, i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make with the right know-how.

Pages: 1 31 replies