Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Is it wrong to not want kids...?

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

B

...and how would that have been different if you had a kid?

This thread is starting to raise some intriguing questions:

I can relate to someone thinking he or she doesn't want to be a parent based on desire, experience, self-esteem, etc...

However, I don't fully get the "I would have less fun" part.

While I KNOW I wouldn't have had kids if they stayed a newborn for 30 years, getting through the first 1 1/2 years of pre-linguistic/not housebroken part is a short interval for all the fun that happens after.

As soon as they can walk and talk, kids are not balls and chains, at all. Seeing the Enchanted Tiki Room through their eyes is probably closer to what Disney had in mind than seeing it through my own rum addled eyes!

I apologize for my 'commercial' in favor of kids, it's really the "lack of fun" premise that caught my eye.

1. Does the "avoidance of non-fun" extend to childless peoples' other life decisions as well?

I'm all for fun, but if someone avoids a small period of hard work to advance in life because that period of time would be no fun, or is not willing to bypass some fun to save for a down payment on something, then I'd wonder what was up.

Is there a point where hedonism ceases to be a virtue and becomes a vice?

1. As a group, do the people who choose to avoid the "ball and chain" of parenting think that their time with their parents is a burden to their parents? Do they have a good time visiting with or travelling with their folks?

2. Does the notion of having kids seem like a permanent "no fun" zero sum outcome?

The padlock GIF and the kids=no fun posts reminds me of a line from some show I saw once where an artist told his wife he wanted a divorce bacause she was holding him back.

She said, "Holding you back? I work so you can paint, I let you go out all night and sit at the coffee shop with your friends, I keep the house payment up, what on Earth am I holding you back from?"

The artist answered, "From sleeping with other women."

So, anyway, I vote kids=more fun.

No offense meant to anyone, just looking at the two posts about fun or lack thereof.

I had a great first 31 years of my life without kids, I've had a fantastic 13 years since having kids.

I've been on both sides of the issue - I know what it's like to not have kids, I know what it's like to have kids.

Unless you can make that statement, you really cannot objectively say "I wouldn't want kids, because ... this or that".

If someone doesn't want children, that's perfectly fine. If they do, that's fine also.

It's just that you don't know until you do...

S
SES posted on Mon, Aug 16, 2004 12:07 AM
E

Xena had the nerve to sit on the Book of Tiki, so I ran and got my camera. I remembered this old thread (and could actually locate it via a search). So here she is:

:lol:

Not enough people pass on the Tiki appreciation gene, I bet.
Great topic! I don't stop by "Beyond" to often, but maybe I should!

On 2004-07-16 08:07, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Hmmm, maybe the original Tiki period ended because so few Tiki fans reproduce!

It must have to skip generations, or something.

I can tell you that, though Maggie and I choose not to have children (we think there are already too many people on this fragile little blue ball), our appreciation of tiki will continue through our nephews, in whom we have planted the seed of tiki. They love all things tiki and will carry on the legacy after we're gone!

Are they still selling those pirate hats?

I got one during my visit at age 7(1985), only mine had a pink feather :) I was ecstatic to have something with my name(Shani) written on it.

If they're still selling them, you BET I'm going to pick one up for myself the next time I go!

Maxton,
What exactly is the "seed of tiki"?
KG

Meet my four-legged niece, Josey.

She's a party animal and a real "weiner"

MB

Useless. On with your fur and rented wives.

[ Edited by: Mrs. B on 2004-11-18 18:06 ]

I just started this post so I could show off pictures of my animals that I think are completely adorable and I thought the title would draw attention, that's all.

Atomicchick - I'd bet you never even slightly suspected what the title of this thread would spark. Boy, what a reaction!
When I first read it(pre-membership), before I saw the pictures, my first thought was, "Wow, these tiki people are surprisingly philosophical and soul-searching." Then, when I saw the pictures, I understood it, and then to discover the passionate discourse that the title alone sparked, well I'm still a bit surprised, and impressed.

Maybe we need a new thread with a less controversial title? That way, those of us who are endlessly amused by pet photos can enjoy them. It doesn't have to be a pet dressed up, but that's just frosting on the cake if you've managed to get a little aloha shirt on a teacup poodle.

It's only 'wrong' to want kids when it's in a Michael Jackson way...

C

Is it wrong for a 35 year-old father of a newborn to get such a kick out of pet pictures?....I don't think so.

[ Edited by: calneva on 2004-11-16 21:32 ]

MB

I just started this post so I could show off pictures of my animals that I think are completely adorable and I thought the title would draw attention, that's all.

Sorry for the intrusion to pet land. Wow, what a bitch. Did I say that?
If you felt the need, I believe you could have set everyone straight about your intentions instead of ranting about the need for a parenting "license." (that's how you spell "license, by the way)

Mrs. B...what a fitting name.

On 2004-11-05 11:21, Tikiwahine wrote:

I got one during my visit at age 7(1985), only mine had a pink feather :) I was ecstatic to have something with my name(Shani) written on it.

If they're still selling them, you BET I'm going to pick one up for myself the next time I go!

They still be having them...ahhh not sure about the pink feather though.

[ Edited by: Tiki Rider on 2004-11-17 09:33 ]

On 2004-11-17 09:30, Tiki Rider wrote:

On 2004-11-05 11:21, Tikiwahine wrote:

They still be having them...ahhh not sure about the pink feather though.

Arrrrr! Then I be picking one up on my pillage...I mean visit to the Land of Disney!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-15 11:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies