Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai

Pages: 1 25 replies

18 inches of Mahogony.

WOW McD he really kicks ass!

That's a masterpiece!

Very nice!, a real smooth character, I dig the grain and color. Looks like many hours of sanding went into that guy.

Chongolio

B

McDougall, Looks like you are getting the finisg down really well. Nice smoothe, Fair lines. No bumps or flat spots. Your Moais are really getting good. I'm impressed. What else you have hiding there?
Where are you getting that big mahogany ?

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-07-16 08:17 ]

McDougall, That guy is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Yes the finishing is superb as well! If this one is mine, then I can't wait to get him! He'll be hanging out with Ben's #5, 17 and 31. Great, great work!

http://www.samgambino.com

McDougall that looks amazing. It is so nice & sleak. I can't imagine the number of hours you must of spent working on this but it is so worth it. Again amazing!

O

excellent work, as others have said nice and smooth, and a good profile, all around excellent

T

I'm not a Moai fan, but I can definitely go for this one, great craftsmanship and I love his attitude.
Tahitiki

W
wushu posted on Thu, Jul 15, 2004 6:20 PM

that Moai is awesome, the color is beautiful as are the lines

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jul 15, 2004 6:39 PM

Damn...beautiful! Kinda got a Danish Modern vibe going too. Excellent!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:59 ]

Thanks for all the compliments! I'll be proud to have him up there with Benzart's Tiki's Sam. Tahitiki, I was a little grumpy the week I carved him it seems to have rubbed off, lol. Benzart the wood is from the store in Oakland Park, nice but costly 20 a foot for 4x4. I have to find out about using the local Mahogony here, I just missed getting a large tree the other day,

B

I miss that good Florida mahogany, Great wood
Check with a tree company called Sherlock tree???something. They do a lot of takedowns and have a grapple truck and end up taking whole trunks down. Good stuff available. I Think they are in Oakland Park off Andrews ave a few blocks south of 44th street.

Wow, that's truly awesome! You really are the Maoi Master! The finish you get on your carvings is incredible.

BTW, I noticed what looks like one of your carvings being re-sold on eBay by someone in the UK. Is this one of yours?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2916&item=3687949720&rd=1

Trader Woody

B

That Moai looks like he has a Hitler Moustache?

The "mustache" is a shadow cast from the tip of the rounded nose onto the lip area. I am a lousy picture taker as I have discussed with you Ben:-). That is my Tiki in the auction. It is not my auction.

T

Nice work!

Did you do the 'pretroglyphs' (in quotes because on wood as opposed to stone they'd be called something else) on the back side?

Might be something cool to add to the next one.

On 2004-07-18 14:40, tikibars wrote:
Nice work!

Did you do the 'pretroglyphs' (in quotes because on wood as opposed to stone they'd be called something else) on the back side?

Might be something cool to add to the next one.

I guess they'd be Xyloglyphs. But if you formed them from pretzels, would they be pretzloglyphs?

T

On 2004-07-19 11:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
I guess they'd be Xyloglyphs. But if you formed them from pretzels, would they be pretzloglyphs?

Hey, you're the Ph D, you tell us!
:)

M

When can I get mine??!!!

Matt

MD

Man oh man Mr. Mc. That Moai is a beautiful grumpy old masterpiece.
Got me inspired.
I'll get me a picture of my grumpy old grandfather and try to duplicate him in wood.
He's old enough to have surfed to Easter Island and been a Moai!
Again, thats really great work.

On 2004-07-22 12:25, Mr. Dale wrote:
Man oh man Mr. Mc. That Moai is a beautiful grumpy old masterpiece.
Got me inspired.
I'll get me a picture of my grumpy old grandfather and try to duplicate him in wood.
He's old enough to have surfed to Easter Island and been a Moai!
Again, thats really great work.

It's funny you should say that. I have a moai birdbath made of cast concrete, he looks exactly like my late grandfather!

I received the Higi-McDougall Moai today, and I have to say, this thing could not be cooler! The symmetry and finish is absolutely flawless - McDougall is a Grade A "Moai Master"!

http://www.samgambino.com

MD

Maybe when our grandfathers kick the bucket we won't have to bury them. We can just get em stuffed at our local taxidermist, stain 'em dark brown, add a coat varnish and stand 'em up next to the bar. No one would ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2004-07-17 12:16, Benzart wrote:
That Moai looks like he has a Hitler Moustache?

I think he looks more like Russel Mael of Sparks:

Pages: 1 25 replies