Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mystery Tiki Pole

Pages: 1 10 replies

A

The only thing I know about this pole is that it is from Tonga and is hand carved. It's 3'6" long and 6" thick. I was wondering if it's worth anything. If anyone has any information, please let me know.

[ Edited by: askeroth on 2004-07-16 03:00 ]

Its cursed; you should send it to me right away for..uh...decursification.

Take it away Bong!

It looks alot like the stuff Tikimaster777 sells on ebay. His stuff is really nice, I bought a fijian war club from him a few months ago, carving is top-notch. his totem tikis look identicle to the one in the pic provided. I would say the one you have is probably 300.00 range-if I had to guess.

S

I see that style all over and it seems to be a tourist carving from Hawaii. If you look on Ebay in the Hawaiiana section, there are a lot, but they are usually about a foot tall.

Looks like the Tongan carvings that are brought in by the boatload to Waikiki.
Pretty much every souviner shop on Oahu has a wall full, in various sizes and thre are usually a few guys carving them at the International Marketplace.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I would take it to the Antique Road Show, just to be sure.

On 2004-07-16 11:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I would take it to the Antique Road Show, just to be sure.

There ya go Unga. :lol:

On 2004-07-16 11:51, Tiki Royale wrote:
Looks like the Tongan carvings that are brought in by the boatload to Waikiki.
Pretty much every souviner shop on Oahu has a wall full, in various sizes and thre are usually a few guys carving them at the International Marketplace.
Aloha,
:tiki:

The quality doesn't look too bad -pretty nice detailing, but some giveaway signs that it wasn't carved in Hawaii. How does this particular carving compare to the wallfulls of carvings you mention? Most of the cheap, copycat Tiki's I've seen have been a whole lot cruder.

Trader Woody

Well I know for sure that it is from Tonga and that it is at least thirty years old. That's pretty much all I know :-?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.