Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Tiki Central logo
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2024 Witco!

Pages: 1 29 replies

5/25 - It's been a week and no one has objected to a Witco theme so let's do it! Make something inspired by Witco (Of course, we have yet to reject a project that didn't meet the theme exactly but it should at least be "Tiki" inspired). Official Swap Rules - Artists create an work of Tiki art. Can be any media; clay, wood, paint, fabric, beads, digital, metal, glass, mixed media, etc. The intent is for this to be an original "one-off" work of art, not part of a mass produced run. If it is created from an existing mold it should be heavily modified. Digital art or screen prints should be printed on a nice substrate, not just ink jet printed on a piece of art pad paper. You must post a picture of your finished piece by the deadline in order to be included in the drawing, anyone who does not show evidence of a finished project will not be included in the name drawing. Drawing will take place the morning of Sunday 7/21/2023. Names will be drawn at random and paired together, these people will swap art. Remember that you will probably ship your art to your partner, don't make anything so large or heavy that it cannot be shipped cost effectively (We have even had non-US Swappers) If you are not an established Swapper and/or established TC member, I will ask for real name and cell phone number so we have a solid contact in the event of a problem. Most of all, have fun and interact with some fellow TC folks

Hamo reminded me it's time for an ART SWAP!!!!!

Tiki Oasis starts even earlier this year than last year - July 31. If we are going to have the Swap wrapped up on time to accommodate anyone who will swap in person at TO, we'll need to end the Swap and have the drawing on Sunday July 21th. That's 9 weeks from now!!!

We can entertain ideas for a theme, I have an idea for a project that would fit well in a WITCO theme which we haven't done yet and has potential for a good theme. Or we can just leave it as TIKI

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-05-25 17:15:50 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-05-25 17:16:31 ]

I’m in and witco sounds fun

I have plenty of time but haven't found my creativity in a LONG time. :-( So put me down as a maybe.....

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 20, 2024 7:44 PM

I really like the Witco idea, too. I'm in!

Hi Mike, are you going to post any Witco Helpers here? Or the link to the Witco thread on TC? I think I will have to jump in and do a painting, thank you always for running these. Wendy

Good idea Wendy, here's a link to the Show Me Your Witco thread here on TC

Thank you MDM. I looked at the first 10 pages and started to wear out. I have some ideas. I hope a lot of people sign up.

I want to build a miniature version of the Witco Fountain. I would love to incorporate a backflow incense burner with smoke that flows down the water path. Maybe a mug on top?
Witco Fountain

I'm think'n of contributing to this art swap.

I wonder if this would be a good swap piece.

I was ready to teach a carve class at Hukilau a few years ago & covid came & the class never happened.

Here's what I had posted at the time.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11-30-58 Tiki Central - Tiki Forum est. 2002

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 26, 2024 8:49 AM

GROG like MadDoggy idea.

thumbsup

[ Edited by GROG on 2024-05-26 08:50:13 ]

I've been inspired by Witco over the years.

Here's another effort, but I'm not offering it up for this swap.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11-46-34 Tiki Central - Tiki Forum est. 2002

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 26, 2024 8:51 AM

Will carve! Send to GROG!

[ Edited by GROG on 2024-05-27 17:38:33 ]

OGR

I'll give it a go, if that's OK

Will carve the pendant would make a great swap project and that fountain is AMAZING!!!
GROG thank you sir!
Or Got Rum? always room for one more at the Swap! Welcome aboard!

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-05-26 18:50:04 ]

OGR

Thanks MDM....Already did one Witco piece...gotta do a new one... utikiwit_edited

[ Edited by Or Got Rum? on 2024-05-26 19:45:25 ]

Love it!

Ha ha, that's the same piece I've picked. I'll do a black velvet painting of this fountain. What if everyone did art based on that one tiki. Challenge GROG. Rum you are done!!!

I rounded up some brown clay for my project. And sat down to make a plan but I realized need to experiment with the backflow incense cones and figure out how they work. Wal-Mart has them in stock, I'll pick up a box on my next trip.
20240601_141941

The backflow effect is all because of the incense cone. There is a whole drilled in the bottom that traps smoke and as it cools it drops...science...blah...blah.

Basically, if you design a tiki fountain and the cone sits at the top and there is space for the smoke to fall, it should work. :-)

Thanks for the heads up Wendy

Didn’t see this post

I’m in

hang10tiki this will be a blast with you joining in. Excellent.

Sorry I've been absent, lots going on. Big b'day party at my house (not me) this Saturday that's keeping me busy. Should be able to make some progress next week

littlegiles I did a test with a cone on a piece of paper over a hole. The smoke came out the bottom of the cone but floated upward. I think the hole or tunnel needs to longer than just a paper thickness in order to cool more before coming out. I may scrap the incense idea for now and just try to make the Witco fountain into a mug. Probably two piece with a base that the mug sits into.

hang10tiki glad you found us. I need to send out messages to recent past participants.

My painting is going well. Soon we can all start showing our progress. This month will pass super fast since summer is fun. So don't delay TCers, time is passing.

This is a fun one. We all love the fountain. The swap is underway.

Wendy

I'm gonna try to get involved this time around.

Awesome!!!! Welcome aboard! I don't remember if you've swapped with us before? If you have any questions, let me know

SF, I assume you're still in Calgary? Folks remember not to make anything big or heavy, there's a chance you may ship to Canada

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-06-20 22:43:02 ]

MadDogMike looks like another fun tiki art swap. SF welcome.

Found “some kinda wood” in my “to do pile”

Hope it works

May not have the classic cedar burn pattern look, but I’ll give it a go

I have been busier since I retired! LOL Should be able to start working on mine the middle of this week.
Also need to send memo out to the "usual suspects" to make sure they know about the Swap. We are down to about 4 weeks!

I have been busier since I retired! LOL Should be able to start working on mine the middle of this week.
Also need to send memo out to the "usual suspects" to make sure they know about the Swap. We are down to about 4 weeks!

OH NO! MadDogMike has been infected with the curse of the double post! May you heal soon and stick your hands, not head, in clay. Hugs for all participants, Wendy

Pages: 1 29 replies