Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Tiki Central logo
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2024 Witco!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

Great inspiration Hamo!

Brushed a bit of black underglaze on my fountain, wiped some of it off, and a bit of light sanding. Could go in the kiln as early as this evening.
20240629_175745

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 29, 2024 7:19 PM

GROG give thumbs up, if GROG had opposable thumbs.

LOL GROG!

Out of the kiln without incident! I have a few finish options that I've come up with. What do you think?

#1 Unglazed on the outside. I like the look of old, aged wood. Then just glaze the inside to make it food safe.
Fountain No Glaze

#2 Glazed on the outside. This is wet with water, actual glaze would be glossier.
Fountain Glaze

#3 Glazed only in the bowls to look like they are wet. Again, real glaze will be more glossy.
Fountain Bowl Glaze

#4 Bowls glazed blue to represent water
Fountain Blue Bowl Glaze

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 30, 2024 9:37 AM

GROG vote for #3 Glazed only in the bowls to look like they are wet. BUt, GROG not opposed to glazing the whole thing to make it darker and bring out the contrast. You could thin out your glaze so it's not TOTALLY glossy, but I'd do test samples first to determine how thin to make your glaze.

MadDogMike too impatient to do test tiles LOL

I have not tried that watering down technique. I may need to actually do some test tiles. I had a clear satin glaze but wasn't too happy with it. It tended to fire milky in places. Thanks GROG

Is that low or high fire Mike?

hang10tiki 7/21/24 is 20 days away!!! MadDogMike that's beautiful as is. Hamo and Swizzle love seeing your names pop up.

Time to reveal some more step by steps on my Witco Fountain painting. I did four layers and then highlighted the curve. While painting a show on Pompeii was on. They uncovered a painting.

DSCN7258DSCN7262DSCN7263DSCN7265DSCN7267

The Pompeii had a piece that reminded me of parts of the Witco I was painting. DSCN7271

The first painting of Pizza ever found in antiquity. DSCN7268

Swizzle it's a high fire clay fire at ^04.
danlovestikis coming along quite swimmingly!
David Ray contacted me through Facebook. He had swapped with us while TC was dark and is interested in this year's Swap. Hopefully we'll see something from him soon

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-01 08:15:33 ]

It's July 1st, 21 more days! Here's our lineup as of now
Will carve - Done?
anthonymaye - Done
MadDogMike - Almost done
Or Got Rum? - Started
danlovestikis - Started
hang10tiki - Started
Hamo - Started
Slacks Ferret - Interested
David Ray - Interested

So we have 9 potentials, that's a decent start

Joshua Bell will not be joining us this year and I hear rumors that Cy will not either, both have other things going on in their lives. I have reached out to some of the others via FaceBook, we'll see if I hear from them

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-01 08:30:53 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-01 08:48:28 ]

Mad Dog #3 Wendy- go go go

I’ll update soon. I hope

Not quite sure what you mean by highfire ^04 (earthenware or stoneware?), but the reason why i asked is because there's a particular glaze that is designed to pool in the bottom of bowls which from memory cracks but looks like water and would be perfect for your design. I just can't remember who makes it or what cone it fires to.

Hmmmm.. I know there are crackle glazes, I wonder if that's it? It's a high fire clay but it's low fired (I haven't had any problems with that technique) I wanted to use brown clay for this project but couldn't find any lowfire brown.

Well, I'm done!
Witco1

MadDogMike that's a wonderful work of tiki art. Super cool.

I have finished my piece. Title: Witco on Edge. The stars actually sparkle as you walk across the room looking at the painting. I put more steps on my "other crafts" page but this is enough for here.

DSCN7292

Taken with a flash. DSCN7294

OGR

Excellent Work Mike and Wendy...Bravo. I'm on the home stretch of my version of what an early 60's Witco ad could have looked like.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies