Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai (Painters and Carvers add moai art)

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

I loved TikiToa's idea with the shrunkenheads so I thought it would be cool to do one with Moai's.
I recall seeing a lot of carved Moai's on TC as well so this could be an iteresting thread.
I also like the fact that these threads can be added to every time an artist finishes a new moai or shrunken head.

Great work, as ever Flounder.

Great thread Flounder. Here are 2 of mine:

Gold leaf:

Silver bronze powder:

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Cool stuff as always both of you! Flounder how does it feel to be done with the big stuff? Now you just have to worry about Hukilau. :)

One of my 3 foot Moai...

Dude, those paintings are unbelievable! Great job Flounder!

B

Great stuff coming out. Here are my Moais

I'm glad to offer my pieces to this group of Master artists work

Here is an old one that I did,

Tiki.Head
[

[ Edited by: tiki.head 2009-03-30 15:03 ]

NN2

Here's a couple I did a while back

T

Nui I like the bottom one, would be a neat print.

YEOW! thar be some good art n' carvin's here!

Ben - pic #2 is mine! Thanks for posting it (I was going to take a pic when I got home)

Here's the only moai I'm proud of:

Arrrrr! (said for the busy bambooben, 'cause you know he would have)

great idea for a thread, as the moai is my absolute favorite.....great art and carvings thus far, i could see this thread gettin pretty long.....

On 2004-07-27 17:02, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Nui I like the bottom one, would be a neat print.

Agree with Tiki-Toa, that you should make some prints of the 2nd picture.

I love the Moai, they were my first Tiki image. Here is a famous Easter Island scene:

[ Edited by: tiki.head on 2004-07-28 09:35 ]

My first tiki carving...

B

Another artist shows a "First" that loks like he has been doing it for awhile. Excellent Aaron...

C

HERES ONE OF MY FIRST.....

"Here's to Hell!
May we have as good a time there as we had getting there!"

[ Edited by: cabinguy on 2004-07-29 09:26 ]

My first tiki anyting.
I hope it's even recognizable as a moai, but the next one will be better!

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-07-29 09:55 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-07-29 09:57 ]

B

Cabin guy don't stop now. That is excellent for the first one. Another surprising first
FinkDaddy, yours is a great project with Lots of imagination. The backlit Moai is Very good and Yes it very much is recognizable as a moai. I'm sure the next one will be better yet, but don't be ashamed of your first. Keep it forever, one day you will see how good it was.

Thanks Benzart, that was very well put. I'm all choked up. I'm also very impressed by the way everyone here accepts everyone elses ideas and art. It's good to be a part of it.

Ditto from me on Toa's comment...NN2, I love that 2nd pic...need lithos of it, dude.

Tiki Toni, the moai pendant is just superb!

Benzart...your talent is beyond description.

Humbled as ever...

Benzart is so supportive of us fledgling TC artists!

Bamboo Dude,

You're a Grand Member already!!! What happened...have you been bribing Hanford?

Yup...probably the only guy who had to buy a spot on the Grand Member roster...lol! Actually, I'm just super paranoid, and I knew that everyone was talking sh*t about me behind the secret veil, so I had to join just to put an end to it!!!
If you join, then we'll stop talkin' smack about you, dude.
8)

Bamboo Dude - Doug,

I have now entered the secret chamber and entered the ranks of the TC "Grand PooBahs". Funny, I thought the Grand Member thing was automatic when you made about 10,000 posts! Little did I know that you really do have to bribe Hanford! It's well worth it though if it keeps this place running.

I think I have to wait for my credit to clear before I can enter the secret chamber, though.

Jade,

I have really admired your work, what I have seen on TC. Incredible detail and style!

Aaron

B

More excellence. PJade when will your w-site be back up...Kick me for never looking before.)_^^&^)($#

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 7:03 PM

I, as well, have a moai as my first attempt at tiki "art." Here's ol' Crackhead:

He's a little fella carved out of some unknown found by the road wood that is as hard as tempered steel.

Fear not, professional carvers! I am HIGHLY unmotivated and this little bugger took me at least two months to complete, averaging two to four minutes a day of carving time before I got distracted. I've got a couple other pieces on the ultra mega slow assembly line. They should be done within the next few months. Or so... :)

That's kool, Kono. Kind of has a kitschy "Herman Munster" feel to it. Even more appropriate since it was carved from spare wood found on the road. It's got great campiness to it!

http://www.samgambino.com

FinkDaddy, That's a bad ass bar!

I haven't the time right now to drag out any of my Moai, but here's a doodle I did while on the phone at work and a recent (well at least from this year) pic of my unfinnished Moai-inspired fire pit.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-07-31 00:10 ]

F
foamy posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 2:16 PM

I get it now. The connection between fez/Shriner/tiki... these guys were found in line, like they were facing a bar. The wooden bars deteriorated ages ago and the early explorers pinched the glasses.

B

Yeah but what happened to the bartender?? Nice work Foamy. Looks like you are geting the colors down pat. They are getting better and More better.
Kono I really like this Moai. There's something about it that is really alluring, really simple but not. Likeee.
Unkle John, that looks like it may be a real winner when you get it finished. the drawing in unique and original, love it.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-08-01 18:30 ]

F
foamy posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 8:15 AM

Thank you. Ah, I'm cheating these days. I'm taking the ink work and scanning it, then putting the colors in on the machine. 15 years of working on a Mac have eroded my manual skills. I want some nice, vibrant inks (not to be found in this neck of the woods) – but I'll probably get impatient and use watercolors. Still looking for a style.

All the artists and carvers in these "Creating Tiki" threads, just blow me away. Phenominal stuff in here.

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-09-01 10:44 ]

F

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-09-01 10:45 ]

foamy, that's nice work. I know artists who do the ink work, copy it with a printer, then paint watercolors onto the copy to avoid the ink running.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 9:15 AM

Hey Sam, thanks, and that's a clever idea. What kind of paper do they use? I've got an ink jet, would that work? When I've painted over ink before I've gotten a kind'a red-ish bleed around the ink lines. The printer idea is something I'd like to try. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is too good of a thread to let die, so here is another older one. This is called "The Boardwalk at Andrewville" It's 24 X 48, acrylic on canvas as always.

How about this one, a more recent effort? Also 24 X 48. No title on this...

More, more, more!

B

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2005-02-20 06:49 ]

S

concrete anyone ?

3 footer

2 footers- castings

small 7" casting- (great desktop paperweight)

3 1/2 foot spitting fountainhead

another spitter

casting for plaques

like this

You gotta love the Moais.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-02-20 13:13 ]

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-02-20 13:14 ]

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-02-20 13:17 ]

B

Seamus your concrete Moais are really getting nicer and nicer. You are getting fancy with the finishes and thay look great. I think you will sell a lot of those lamps.
I haven't seen a bad Moai on this post. All you guys should be proud. Any more hiding around??

JV

Can't get enough of the Moai.

Here's one called: "Mission Moai"

[ Edited by: Joe V. on 2005-02-21 01:47 ]

JV

Try again.......

Heres my two attemts so far

this guy sits by the garage door and we throw keys, change and sunglasses in the top of his head

S

Thanks rodeotiki. I'm liking yours too.

Hey Joe V. what's yours made of? For a long time I have envisioned getting concrete guys all smooth and glossy like car paint. I really like it- whatever it is

Cool work, rodeotiki - and great for utility purposes too!

Hey Joe V., that's one fine Moai... I too really like the high gloss finish it has. You need to post more often.

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies