Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai (Painters and Carvers add moai art)

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

T

Loving them all. Something about the lines on a Moai are just too cool. I think they are harder than they look to carve though. Simple, clean lines will show mistakes pretty quickly.

I love the utility aspect of the last one, what a great idea, wish I had had it.

I actually finished sanding and stained a Moai today. I need to hunt down the camera and post him to the thread. It isn't great, but I really like him.

TikiTita

Wow, beautiful work everyone. I knew this thread still had some life left in it. This is a Giacometti style called the Artists Studio.

JV

On 2005-02-20 20:03, seamus wrote:

Hey Joe V. what's yours made of? For a long time I have envisioned getting concrete guys all smooth and glossy like car paint. I really like it- whatever it is

It's fiberglass. Painted black with transparent sparkle green. Automotive clear. Like a corvette.

Hey Sam, thanks.

[ Edited by: Joe V. on 2005-02-21 15:53 ]

B

Lookin good guys. As you are seeing, the Moai is a lot more difficult to carve than one would think. For a long tome I didn't carve them because I thought they were "Too Simple" and didn't take much skill. So when I tried my first pne I couldn't understand why it just wasn't working out. It took a Lot more skill than I Had to do it right. Decieving little bastards(did I say Little??). I have since grown to love and admire them.

T

Not "heavy metal" but light metal.
This is one one of my favorite topics. Add to it and bring it back to the top.

T

opps double post. My computer was running slow at that one piont. But I did want to ask Tiki Tony about the Moai on his clothing website. Its at the beach, does anyone know information about it? Here is a picture of what I mean.
http://www.adriftclothing.com/
SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-03-28 09:45 ]

K

Here's one we are offering prints of to help fund the Hot Rod Hula Hop:

This is a combined effort between fellow moai Savage Hi-Fi and myself.

He had drawn a keen moai sketch that I inked, colored and made a composition out of.

This pic has a filter applied to mimic the look of the canvas prints we are looking at offering, but the paper print can still be made with the canvas look, or with a smooth more graphic look.

The piece is about 8" x 20".

So on nice paper stock with no frame we are offering it for $20

On canvas with no frame they should be around $35

And we are hoping fellow moai Chisel Slinger has time to make us some custom frames for a few prints....and we will work on prices for those if anyone is interested. His work is fantastic, and these framed pieces will really be something.

So anybody who would like to have one and help us out with our event funding in the process, please let me know and we'll arrange to get you one asap.

(I suppose this might have gone in marketplace, but this just seemed like the perfect thread for it. Sorry if that irks anyone.)

Mahalo,

Ahu

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-04-06 22:24 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 8:16 PM

Techniquely it fits here and there. But I really just want this topic to grow like a weed. How is the picture going to be appiled to the paper or canvas. The canvas makes more sense to buy cause you wouldn't have to buy a frame. Frames can cost more than the print. I got a couple Swampfires laying around because of this.

K

On 2005-04-06 20:16, teaKEY wrote:
How is the picture going to be appiled to the paper or canvas. The canvas makes more sense to buy cause you wouldn't have to buy a frame. Frames can cost more than the print.

Well, I honestly am not handling the process of getting the prints made. I'm lucky in that I "know somebody" that does nice work. So I have no idea how we specifically are getting from art to print on this project.

As for frames, the cost for a framed version will largely depend upon Chisel Slinger's estimates, but I'm certain that they will in fact cost more than the print itself. His work is top notch though, and I promise these are going to be very cool and very high quality works. (with or without a frame for that matter)

We are going to limit the number of these we get printed (admitedly due to cost...as well as the desire to keep them fairly unique). There will likely be less than fifty for sale both here and at the event, and at least half of that will be reserved to sell there. Even fewer framed versions will be done, and I intend to make my own donation for one of those.

Ahu

T

Great thread. I too, have a few Moai to add but I don't know how to add photos to my post. Any help is appreciated.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:25 ]

I am not sure but I originally carved this mug out of wax and made one mold(very primitivly, mind you). I got sick of buying all the time so now I take classes and this is my first mug design and without knowing, I sat it perfectly in the middle of both it's ancestors(the moai was a gem found in the wastes). One day I may make some new slip casts and actually cast but for now I make them press mold style when very intoxicated on J&B. Pottery is fun.

T

Here's a Moai I made with Sculpey tonight. He's in the oven firing, and then he's going to get a coat of paint :D.

This is my first try at anything resembling a real-world tiki in about 9 months. This was fun. :)

TekoTeko

Dish Soap on Cutting Board :)

I like how the chunk of apple defines his eyebrow... Masterful!

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-09 18:16 ]

T

That's the cleanest rendition of a Moai I've ever seen. Ouch. That one hurt me :).

Nice!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 10, 2005 8:39 AM

Here's my moai art so far. Both are pastels done on black cardboard (in a book):
Inspiration for this was in the BoT.

This guys got the Easter Island blues

Question - how do you pronounce "Moai"?

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2005-07-10 08:41 ]

T

Moe-eye

H

thanks

J
john posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2005 12:58 AM

heres my stylized happy monochromatic moai!

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
Fused Glass Tiki Art
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: john 2005-07-11 01:03 ]

8T

Here is my PISCO 5 footer I just finished.

See the whole posted story here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15566&forum=7&19

T

What green with a black top? Cool!

8FT Tiki that is the coolest Moai carving I have seen! Super badass bro! Love the green and black.

I'm very impressed.

I haven't posted much art lately but I did do this one a few months ago for Oasis 5:

"Oceanman" mixed media on sinta (a type of plastic sign material)

Good stuff everybody!
Capt Skully I like it! has a kind of has a zen feel to it.
8' that is indeed an impressive creation. Inspiring to say the least.
Hewey-Like your pastel renditions too. I believe moai is pronounced mo-ah-ee.
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

T

Moe-eye

Here's a Moai that i just finished: he's carved from a block of AAC (also apparently known as Hebel).

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 6:15 PM

Now that is wicked! Classic lines, I really like that. One day I'll try one, but there's no way I could make anything that nice. Geat job, and thanks for posting the finished pics. How much does it weigh?

GMAN, thanks... AAC is very lightweight; that guy probably weighs less than 10 lbs. very fun to carve with; make sure you wear a cartridge respirator, since the dust is extremely fine.

Believe in yourself; trust me, if i can do that, anyone can.

Very nice, all... The Great Moai would be pleased!

http://www.samgambino.com

Here's a few more AAC Moai that I did last week...

here's my latest 2 foot tall AAC Moai:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 7:06 PM

Swapping this with Kirby. He wanted an Aussie tiki, and dug my BoT one I posted earlier. I came up with this. The one-eyed thing just kinda happened.

Jeff-
Another beautiful AAC Moai! Only your talent outshines your kindness. Thank you, we owe you a dinner on our next trip to Florida. Thanks again for your support.
Annie & Wes

Moondance: thanks, i appreciate the kind words. let me know next time you are in FL. and don't forget to post photos of your work!

here's another attempt at a Moai...

M

Palama Tiki -

Your moais are really developing personality. The Aloha is coming through.

Thanks, I appreciate it! i like the way this latest guy turned out.

M

On 2005-08-24 09:41, Palama Tiki wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate it! i like the way this latest guy turned out.

fer shure! Just look at him. He's got attitude.

M

This is one I've been working on for a few days. It's 2 1/8 inch tall from poplar. The problem with such a small carving is having to sand the details to smooth it out.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2005 6:42 PM

Palama Im loving the way these guys are progressing. Very nice style you got happening with them.

Mako nice little guy too. Should look cool when completed.

Nice work, Manokoa! i can't imagine working on something that small. nice detail!

Thanks Hewey! what did you decide with your moai twins? leave them as is, or are you adding more detail?

M

(as posted in my own progress thread)

More moai. I'm just not satisfied with my first small one.

I didn't like the way the left one turned out so I made more. I like the one on the right the best but I real scared that I may put the mouth on and it won't fit right.

Side view. Hope this helps any future moai carvers to see the proportions.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 8:50 AM

My mother in law is making little moai for necklaces and earrings...and cakes...

http://www.tikihappy.net/gallery/view_album.asp?Album_ID=57

here's another AAC Moai: he stands 3'8" tall...

here he is unpainted:

here's a couple one-footers.

Here is a more recent one, it is called "The Bored of Directors".

Tiki.Head
[

[ Edited by: tiki.head 2009-03-25 06:13 ]

[ Edited by: tiki.head 2009-03-25 09:17 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies