Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room update (some rumors included)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies

Hello Tangaroa!
Regarding Crump's saltier stories, yes... I've been around him in a more relaxed setting when he told us the story of Maui. Considering that for many Polynesian people Tiki is a symbol of fertility, it is a fitting tribute that Crump designed a Tiki (Maui) with an erection. He said it himself how surprised he was that nobody picked up on it. In fact, it is still there today going up and down!
Rolly Crump is on of my favorite artists of all time. Up there with Mary Blair and Marc Davis. When the hell is someone going to do a big, thick book with his artwork? BTW, the book "Beatsville" has a beautiful 2 page spread of a couple crump pieces. They credit him as R. Crump which is how he signed the pieces. They probably didn't know who he is.
And speaking of the Enchanted Tiki Room, Tang, you HAVE to do an EXTENSIVE Tiki Room story for "E" Ticket Magazine! It has never been done in detail.
Your friend,
Louis

Very much in a spicy Tex Avery vein is a shocking image in Disney's "Three Caballeros."

If you've seen it, it's hard not to notice...Donald Duck is peering through a spyglass at a Mexican beach when his gaze falls upon a bevy of gorgeous girls, and the spyglass, well, has sort of a "reaction"!

Seems to me that Disney was way into stuff like that...

T

Thanks Louis -
yes - I'd like to write an article about the Tiki Room for a future issue.... And I've been telling Jack he really needs to get an interview in the bag with Harriet Burns! So maybe I can talk him into it for the next issue...!

Sorry for Rollie, but not for the audience... His restaurant chairs are gone. They are nice padded benches all around now.

I prefer them. About time they got some appropriate seating worked out there!

Enchanted Tiki Room Secret: They added pineapples around the center fountain. (Those weren't there before) :) Woo Hoo

On 2005-05-23 21:39, WooHooWahine wrote:
Enchanted Tiki Room Secret: They added pineapples around the center fountain. (Those weren't there before) :) Woo Hoo

Actually - they were!
Here's a shot from a few years back:

Hard to see in that pic - but trust me - pineapples were always there!

I eased-dropped in on a Disney Guided Tour and the Tour Guide said the pineapples were new???

On 2005-05-25 21:31, WooHooWahine wrote:
I eased-dropped in on a Disney Guided Tour and the Tour Guide said the pineapples were new???

I think they're new like the feathers on the birds are new. TikiCutie, where are you? We need more stories of your adventures in Adventureland!

A

Thought I'd post some pics showing more views from a recent visit to the new Enchanted Tiki Room. This was a fun visit, since we went with my little 2 year old niece, her first time to Disneyland! Small World was a blast, and she loved the tiki room and was singing along with the birds and flowers. She got a little scared in the drumming and chanting part though. The show looks and sounds great!

Take a gander at this first shot, with the huge crowd on the lanai!

Also here's a bunch of night photos!

-Randy

T

NIce! So great to see the ETR back to big crowds & the respect it deserves... See what a little rehab love with a nod towards the past can do?
Are you listening Knott's Berry Farm????

Great photos Randy...!

Here's an interesting backstory about Uti, the now-missing fishing Goddess who once towered over the entryway to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The Slow Sad Sinking of Uti

We should have some T-shirts made up saying "Where's Uti" or "have you seen this Uti?" Thanks for the post! It makes for some very interesting reading!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies