Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room update (some rumors included)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies

You may be interested to note that the Tahitian Terrace menu is up for sale on ebay. I would assume it's already going to be "too rich for my blood," but all you e-snipers with extra funds get your keyboards at the ready!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6510416677&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

I also have in my possession an old castmember operating instructions booklet on Tiki Room and I think Tahitian Terrace that an ex-cast member sold me on ebay MANY years ago. I should get around to scanning it in and posting it "someday." (Also got instructions for haunted mansion and pirates from the same guy but they're all very old.)

I saw a small orange tiki-room cast member cosutme for sale with a number of other stolen costume items at the Pasadena City College flea market Sunday.

I didn't get it. I don't mind buying retired items that may have slipped out of the park on their own. But he was also selling racks and racks of current costumes obviously stolen, and I had no taste for that.

Also, the shirt didn't fit.

:wink:

On 2005-02-08 13:10, BarkerBird wrote:
But he was also selling racks and racks of current costumes obviously stolen, and I had no taste for that.

:wink:

Doh! I think we are all guilty of being a buyer/seller of various "hot" merchandise. As was pointed out this weekend by a veteran antique dealer in santa rosa, as Mr. Smiley was taking many vintage ashtrays from local establishments off his hands (for a small fee), if it weren't for the practice of "lifting" such items from such establishments, there would be a LOT less to collect...!

He who has never "lifted" a menu/ashtray/napkin/swizzle stick/mug/glass/pamplet/brochure/lighting fixture/table accessory/bar wench, etc. from a tiki or other establishment may cast the first stone...

A

I wouldn't say that taking a napkin, swizzle stick, or brochure from an establishment is exactly stealing. I have never been to a bar or restaurant that asked for the napkins or swizzle sticks back after you were done. In fact, they are trown in the trash afterwards. You mix those with lamp fixures, menus, etc. Not the same thing. I'm not standing on either side, just pointing out that there is a difference.
By the way, TANGAROA, I always love your pictures. Thanks so MUCH!!!! I love any pictures related to the Tiki Room. Keep 'em coming! By the way, how is the Knott's book coming along? I'm looking forward to it. Talk to you soon.
Your friend,
Louis

[ Edited by: Atomobile on 2005-02-08 13:29 ]

T

On 2005-02-08 13:27, Atomobile wrote:
By the way, how is the Knott's book coming along? I'm looking forward to it.

The Knott's book in on hold - has been for some time. I am trying to get something going on the P.O.P. book though.....

TM

On 2005-02-08 14:11, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2005-02-08 13:27, Atomobile wrote:
By the way, how is the Knott's book coming along? I'm looking forward to it.

The Knott's book in on hold - has been for some time. I am trying to get something going on the P.O.P. book though.....

Hey Tangaroa - Great old pics of the ETR. Here's a thread on P.O.P. if you haven't seen it. I put a link on there that is really great (though you've probably already seen it).https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10938&forum=2&3.

TM

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-02-08 19:02 ]

O

Tikicutie ... I have a question

(btw everyone .. great site here! DL's Enchanted Tiki Room has a very special place in my oc native heart .... and I wasted no time to sign up .. fresh from Laughingplace.com)

Anyway ... TikiCutie ....

Because this the most extensive rehab this attraction ever received .. can you tell us if it is getting some sound insulation - At least on the side of the Tahitian Terrace/Aladdin's Oasis?

See ... I remember very well an incredible improvement WDIA did to the 'tiki room's' sound system back in 1996. I litterally jumped out of my seat going from an "AM Transistor Radio" sound ... to the BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of a newly restored soundtrack with new speakers and "boom box" subwoofers located underneath the backrow seating.

Not long after that .... the sound was lowered because of apparrent complaints that the sound was 'bleeding' into Aladdin's Oasis .

The original "1963" show is so special - I'm most fond of it .. and the arrangements were so crystal clear .. that they deserved being brought forth with excellent clarity. Deminished to a degree since by lowering the volume. It was JUST RIGHT before.

So .... I would think that a decision was past to add new sound insulation ... and crank that sound back up to 1996 levels!!!

As long as the facility is torn apart ... I hope they came up with the idea of adding some sound proofing.

I'll look forward to your response.

~dean

MT

Awesome pics of the Tiki Room and related merchandise, Tangaroa!

T

Thanks! Anyone else want to share....?

G

Here's four shots from my most recent visit to Disneyland, on the 28th of January, 2005.

This shows, well, mostly the big fence around the Enchanted Tiki Room. Still, one can see the rebuilt Dole stand taking shape, as well as the new thatching on the roof of the main building.

Another shot of the fence, and a wee bit of the construction. Note also the menehune figures on the pile to the left. In case you wondered where the "teeny tiki" figural came from.

A peek through the fence, showing the lanai garden. It's hard to get shots into there, as a plastic netting is on the other side of the fence, blocking much of the view. Anyway, this shows some of the condition of the Enchanted Tiki... ladder storage and dumpster area.

"...and don't forget the fury of... our gift shop." This is the wall of Enchanted Tiki Room goods. Earlier in the day they had the lids on the Pele mugs, but they ended up all being removed by this point. I suspect it may be because those shelves are not 100% sturdy, and I saw one person almost knock it all over that day. That would have been a major disaster.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

He who has never "lifted" a menu/ashtray/napkin/swizzle stick/mug/glass/pamplet/brochure/lighting fixture/table accessory/bar wench, etc. from a tiki or other establishment may cast the first stone...

Yes, it's just that to me, there's a difference between a lifted ashtray or mug (designed to be a take-away advertisiment), and walking out of Disneyland with hundreds of dollars worth of costumes.

Again, old retired vintage pieces may have gotten out via other, legal means. Heck, Disney themselves sells certain items that no longer have a place in the parks.

But these were current costumes.

(BTW, who the heck wants to dress as an Innoventions host anyway? Blech!)

Thanks for the pix Gwen! Glad to see the original benches remain untouched....

On 2005-02-13 22:10, Tangaroa wrote:
Thanks for the pix Gwen! Glad to see the original benches remain untouched....

You are welcome!

I do wonder just what the lanai garden will look like, or if those benches will still end up getting changed/removed. In the shot, it appears that they've not been altered since my past visit, in February of '04. Clearly this is one of the last areas they're focusing on, so ::shrug:: who knows?

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

MT

So, according to the Disneyland calendar, the tentative re-opening date is still Saturday March 12. Starting to get close now, like 3 and a half weeks away. Any news on the re-do progress, and if they are going to finish by that date TikiCutie?

Here's some more photos of the Barker Bird, circa 1964. Courtesy of my friend & Imagineer, Larry Nikolai (he designed the now sold out ETR big fig...) - taken with his Brownie Hawkeye camera!

I was hearing something about a Cast-only reopening ceremony...

Hmmm.... have to check on that.

COOOOL Photos Tang!
Thanks for posting them!!

-Tw

On 2005-02-11 17:08, gwenners wrote:

Earlier in the day they had the lids on the Pele mugs, but they ended up all being removed by this point. I suspect it may be because those shelves are not 100% sturdy, and I saw one person almost knock it all over that day.

Nine Pele mugs without homes?! On a rickety shelf? So close, and yet so far...

when did those purple aloha shirts get released? anyone have a closeup of the print?

It looks to me like the same "tiki bloom" print, but in purple.

G

On 2005-02-16 17:18, Monkeyman wrote:
when did those purple aloha shirts get released? anyone have a closeup of the print?

Here's about the best I can get from the original of the image I posted above.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-16 19:43 ]

I saw the purple shirt approx three weeks ago at the adventure shop. Yes, It does appear to be the same print as the tiki bloom.

T

New update today on MiceAge.com

I wonder what that "8 foot tall entry facade" he's describing will look like...? And looks like the opening date has slid to the 17th.

Scroll down for the Tiki Room

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-02-17 09:53 ]

"There will be a new eight-foot-tall entry facade going up shortly next to a slightly enlarged Dole juice stand. The colorful new archway sign will have tiki carvings and flaming tiki torches on its flanks, and it should help pull in larger crowds particularly at night."

Sounds yummy.

Oh ye of little faith.

I toldja there was nothing to worry about. Tiki Room is a hit.

In this world of so many people digging things that aren't cool, at least the popular "normal folk" opinion seems to be that the Tiki Room IS cool. Thank goodness for that! Pass the rum.

I hope they know what they are doing. When I first heard of this new entryway in detail (from a cast member), he made it sound more like an entrance to Margaritaville than to a Tiki shrine. He said something like "an arch covered with roses" or something like that. When the Dole tiki stand was built recently, I sighed in relief in hopes that this is what he was talking about. Now that I hear that the thing is actually being built, I'm worried again. As far as I can tell, this is an all-new entryway and in no way will try to replicate the original structure. I'm optimistic enough to think that this cast member was wrong and that this new entryway is actually going to be Polynesian looking. Cross your fingers....
Your friend,
Louis

[ Edited by: Atomobile on 2005-02-17 12:50 ]

[ Edited by: Atomobile on 2005-02-17 12:52 ]

T

On 2005-02-17 11:08, BarkerBird wrote:

Oh ye of little faith.

On 2005-02-17 12:50, Atomobile wrote:
I hope they know what they are doing. When I first heard of this new entryway in detail (from a cast member), he made it sound more like an entrance to Margaritaville than to a Tiki shrine. He said something like "an arch covered with roses" .....

That's exactly what I'm worried about! I'm probably wrong - it will probably look fine....

But I'm just sayin' is all!

This is what I've said before. NEVER give creedence to what you hear from "A Cast Member". If I had a nickel for everything that I heard on authority from someone selling churros that didn't pan out....

Covered in roses.... sheesh. That's so obviously wrong. Point to me ONE rose in all of Adventureland.

It'll have orchids, and other tropical flowers if it has flowers.

Sorry to say, these people don't know.

Don't worry folks. TRUST. Trust.

T

On 2005-02-17 14:48, BarkerBird wrote:
Don't worry folks. TRUST. Trust.

I want to believe! I really do.....

BTW, what WOULD the entrance to Margaritaville look like?

Given, it'd have a Macaw.

It'd be wearing a sombrero or a straw hat.

And then around the top there's be a Corona umbrella, or a Papas & Beer logo.

And the whole thing would have the colors of the Mexican flag.

What else?

I think thatch, bamboo, torches and the parrot are the only design elements that carry over, right?

For Margaritaville you add more mexico stuff, and fish-taco stuff, and beer and tequila.

For tiki, you have to have tropical flowers, the hula, lava rocks, tikis (duh), better drinks, and of course, the exotica elements like headhunters, curses, cannibals and the jungle.

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-02-17 14:58 ]

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-02-17 15:00 ]

There'd be some gawd-awful music playing in the background
(no offence to those who enjoy it)

Ahoy there, mateys! Tiki Cutie, your mild-mannered (although sightly less mannered when intoxicated) insider Tikiroom reporter has alighted at Tiki Central once again to inform the curiosity-filled masses!

Gawrsh, I'm really sorry for being truant, we are getting so rushed for all the preparations for the 50th, I've been torn away to do other projects and the Tikiroom has been shelved for a week or so while the Lanai troglidite construction workers pour new concrete.

(Oh, special announcnement to Robin: Mrs. Velour, I've heard you are worried that they are tearing out the original floor inside...fear no more, it is not true, it is still there, still very 60's looking, and it is so precious to us that we are required to wear paper booties on our feet and ladder legs so that we do not scrape or scratch it whilst we work away.). Wish everyone could see how the "Room" looks without all the benches, like a little ballroom! (No comments on my ladder legs, and yes, they do go all the way up.)

Yes, I have been temporarily pulled away from my blessed assignement to help design the new animated windows display for the 50th anniversay Emporium windows, then after that I was asked to rehab the Pizza Port props and spent all week disassembling the old Space Mountain ride control console to use its little knobs and dials to attach to boxes and giant vegetables.- The goal was to make some "post-apocalyptic vegetable-juicer type props. I had fun making the future, but Iwas excited to get back to my South Pacific-specific project! I have now flown back to the Tiki Room and am working on some really fun stuff.

So much to tell, so much to answer...

Most fun items first! No, I don't know anything about sound insulation on the side of the Tahitian Terrace being installed or uninstalled, but I did get a confirmation from project manager Larry that the Tahitian Terrace will be used once again as a strotytelling venue for Arabic type stuff. I do know that the ETR show has been totally reprogrammed with a new and improved audio-animatronic system that allows for new specific altered audio to be inset durng specia levents. This does not mean that they are GOING to add/install temporary refreshed audio from time to time, it merely means they now CAN. Blake the WDI show programmer guy suggests if they want to change the audio for Christmas shows or special events, that it is now possible to work those in and remove them as they wish. The whole track does not have to be replaced and reprogrammed each time now. But don't get excited, like I said, it is now only possible, not imminent that alterations could be made.

All the birds are back in, (except for the robins, which I have yet to sculpt the feet for) the girls went in this week, gosh, they look so stunning and bright and clean. The Drum gods are back up, the orchid boats are refoliaged, and I added some feathers around the necks of the flowers to reduce more of the clacking/hissing and give some more movement to their animation. I must say, they look divine.

I haven't heard the totem gods chant or the flowers croon yet along with their animation, so I don't know if our attempts to reduce the clacking have come to fruition, I'll let you know.

Blake has been letting us have some fun with the audio as he repograms the bird's mouths to open and close at the right time. He has been bringing in other audio to entertain us while we work away up on our ladders (in their booties), and has been amusing us by making the bird's mouths move to such classics as Kool and the Gang's "Celebration", Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" and various other hilarious things that look rather ironic coming out of animatronic bird mouths. He even lets us play with the toggle control and make the bird's mouths move to the music manually.

I wish everyone could have as mcuh fun as I am having! I think of you all as I delight in my work/play. :)

The most exciting thing I have gotten to do this past week is start working on making some speaker covers for 5 new speakers that are featuered out in the Lanai (everyone looks at me with question-marks over their head when I say "lanai" and only respond when I call it the "preshow"). Two will go on the wall to each side of the Tangaroa tree (we still haven't had a chance to do the foilage on that because of the cement laying delays...which will now be delayed longer because of the rain). These will resemble birdhouses covered in thatching, and little birdhouse door perches made from cast resin which I am handpainting to look like real bamboo strapped together with leather. (I know my fellow TCentralites will be my harhshest judges so I am taking etra care to make you all proud of my fake-bamboo-painting efforts).

Another speaker cover will go behind the Tangaroa tree, this will look like a double sided drum covered in thatching (harder to see because it will be behind the tree). One will go on the north facing wall of the tiki restrooms, next to the Maui god. It will resemble a drum, covered on top with leather, covered on the sides with rattan matting and braided raffia with shell ornaments... and....little tiki heads taken from strings of tiki lights that many of you probably already own! The last one will go over a speaker that is on the east side of the Lanai, it will be on the fence on the left as you enter the Lanai (preshow...uh....Lanai...uh...gimme another mai tai!)

Anyway, one of the coolest things we get to do is go get our tiki theming supplies from Oceanic Arts...and put it all on Walt's tab! I get to shop for tiki while on the clock....ah, life is good.

I asked again about the reopen date, but it may have a confused meaning becusse I think what they mean when they say March 1 is that this is when we rehabbers are supposed to be DONE. It would make more sense to have it open on a Saturday for the guests...but there have been rumours about a seperate Cast Member special opening, so maybe that's the one on the 11th. I have heard nothing about the re-opening moving to the 17th...I promise I will keep you informed the minute I hear something. (Sorry! I know, how can I be so uniformed and actually be working on the project? Paint the bamboo faster, Laura! Glue the feathers faster, Laura! WHIPPING SOUNDS... wh-tsh!).

Lanai benches...some have been removed, the one by the bathrooms has not been...I'm assuming they're putting in more. I guess that that they had to rip some out to get to the wiring for the gods down below the platings. Those are definitley getting new audio-animatronic systems, my friend Tom is the WDI guy incharge of that. He works down in the ETR basement in the computer connecting little wires to coordinating animated figures. He loaned me some of the old wires from the original computers to use in the construction of the postapocalyptic vegetable juicing props for the Pizza Port. Ah, Disney do love to recycle, deed, dey do...to er, save da dough.

Yes, the Purple Shag aloha shirts just came out about 2 or 3 weks ago, same print, just a lavender background, and purple Dole pineapple slices....for those of us who look sallow in orange. Who cares, I'm getting both!

Haven't heard anything about a new arch covered in roses, but if they do, I'll spank. I'm on the foliage/floral crew, and I happen to be an informed Tiki consultant from Tiki Central, the international Tiki society, who has a minor in Ornamental Horticulture from the University of Florida, which happens to be in the tropics. Ain't know way, no how any roses are going on to anything Tiki. Trust! Trust!

As for what would a Margaritaville entrance arch look like, this would be a good thread for the Tiki vs. Caribbean discussion. My two cents: Yes it would have parrots in straw hats, but they would be singing Jimmy Buffet tunes (uh, shoot me), there would be monkeys, bananas and coconuts, and some steel drums over the speakers..instead of my handy artwork!

Barker Bird, are you a cast member? Or do you have an insider who "knows" things? Send me a personal message, please. Great pics, thanks, I'm going to eventually use some of them as bases for a painting series on the Tikiroom, now that I have been steeping in it for 2 months. Taking requests for paintings...ask Dr Z about my portfolio!

More inquiries on TikiRoom progress always welcome,

TikiCutie Laura

MT

Thanks for the update, Tiki Cutie! And keep us posted on that re-opening date as well!

Yeah, TikiCutie, I'm a Cast Member, up at Feature Animation.

My "inside information" on the park isn't much, since I really do no work with anyone there.

But I do have a few friends down there, and through them I can see which way the wind is blowing.

That's why I know to trust.

Thanks, SO MUCH for the update. I've been seriously missing the Tiki Room, and I can't wait to bring my little girl when it's open. So that's why your reports make up a little for its absence! It's like I can watch the progress myself!

Here's a question for you. Will we still be seeing the old Dole Pinapple movie in the pre-show area? Or are they working on a new one?

That movie is so old and corny and cool, I wanted it at my wedding. That thing is a time-capsule unto itself.

I'm torn over that myself. The nostalgist in me wants it saved, but the realist in me wants it gone. I'll make some enemies here, but I'm one of the first people to yell "tear it out" when an old ride isn't doing the numbers it used to, and has become an embarrassment coughLINCOLNCough.

Disneyland isn't a museum, and Walt would be the first to tear out something he thought he could top. (That doesn't mean I advocate the old management policy of tearing things out to replace them with nothing.)

But the Tiki Room, THAT continues to entertain. It's STILL a big hit, and it's BECAUSE it's so entertaining for all the same old reasons, quality and showmanship. So I say we keep it as long as people still love it.

Another question. I know the pineapple stand is going back up, do you know if the famous Dole Whip will be back (I trust it will)? I especially like the float version, with the pinapple ice-cream topped with pineapple juice. My daughter will love that! She LOVES pineapple!

I love the idea that technically they can do overlays. That's fantastic. I hope they do a Mele Kalikimaka one for Christmas!

It all sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for these updates! I'll have to see if I can get into a cast member opening if they have one.

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-02-21 10:55 ]

On 2005-02-20 10:18, TikiCutie wrote:
I do know that the ETR show has been totally reprogrammed with a new and improved audio-animatronic system that allows for new specific altered audio to be inset durng specia levents. This does not mean that they are GOING to add/install temporary refreshed audio from time to time, it merely means they now CAN. Blake the WDI show programmer guy suggests if they want to change the audio for Christmas shows or special events, that it is now possible to work those in and remove them as they wish. The whole track does not have to be replaced and reprogrammed each time now. But don't get excited, like I said, it is now only possible, not imminent that alterations could be made.

Blake has been letting us have some fun with the audio as he repograms the bird's mouths to open and close at the right time. He has been bringing in other audio to entertain us while we work away up on our ladders (in their booties), and has been amusing us by making the bird's mouths move to such classics as Kool and the Gang's "Celebration", Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" and various other hilarious things that look rather ironic coming out of animatronic bird mouths. He even lets us play with the toggle control and make the bird's mouths move to the music manually.

TikiCutie Laura

A possible Christmas overlay to the ETR? Having Fritz doing an imitation of Der Bingle's "White Christmas" while Jose whistles along? The girls singing along to the Phil Spector "Wall O'Sound" version of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"? All the birds wearing tiny santa hats & the flowers in scarves? Snow drifts against the drumming Tikis? I'm certain an Imagineer could come up with better than I, but this would give Adventureland a themic tie-in to with the Haunted Mansion/Small World/Main Street Christmas overlays.

Great update tikicutie - kudos for calling it the Lanai! As BarkerBird knows, I want it to look just like it did in 1963, but as long as there is someone on the inside discouraging "roses on an archway" I'll be a happy camper...

Thanks! Let us know if you find out any more about a re-opening date for the masses!

On 2005-02-21 11:47, freddiefreelance wrote:
A possible Christmas overlay to the ETR? Having Fritz doing an imitation of Der Bingle's "White Christmas" while Jose whistles along? The girls singing along to the Phil Spector "Wall O'Sound" version of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"? All the birds wearing tiny santa hats & the flowers in scarves? Snow drifts against the drumming Tikis?

I welcome this idea. A "Mele Kalikimaka" show would be wonderful, especially since they removed my ol' favourite in this vein (Country Bear Christrmas). I would think that songs like "Christmas on Christmas Island" would be perfect, as well as just about anything from Arthur Lyman's holiday album.

Likewise, this sounds like an attracton idea that would not only increase interest in the ol' Tiki Room, but would be an Adventureland addition to the special holiday overlays done elsewhere in the park.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith
(Who is not a cast member -- but her sister is!)

MT

I called Guest Relations at Disneyland, and they said that the Enchanted Tiki Room re-opening date is still scheduled for Saturday March 12. They also said that sometimes when a ride refurbishment isn't completed by the scheduled re-opening date, they won't change to the new date until the day before - this has happened on more than a few rides.

I did note that on the Disneyland calendar that a bunch of rides closed for refurbishment are scheduled to re-open on Friday March 18, something like 7 rides. So it could make sense that the Enchanted Tiki Room could open around that time as well.

So I guess only time will tell if they will actually make the Saturday March 12 date. Luckily I have a flexible schedule, so I can pretty much make any date, but if it re-opens on a weekday then I will most likely have to travel down there by myself, because my fiance will not be able to take time off of work for that event.

I would hope ETR doesn't go x-mas. Early december is such a good time to go to d-land because the crowds are lessened (and it's my b-day), but I'm always bummed out that some of my favorite rides (haunted, small world) have different songs and decor. It annoys me. I like all the exterior x-mas stuff in the park and the gigantic x-mas tree and the fireworks and snow; but HOW do I get my haunted mansion song fix?? listening to a CD at home just isn't the same...

Now I want to come back in the spring as well, just to listen to all the NON x-mas songs, but I don't think it's in my budget...

Hey Peeps,

Quick update before I go into work this morning at a bright and early 5am....

Correction about the speaker covers for the lanai, the birdhouse themed one is going in front of the north facing wall of the bathrooms next to Maui, and the drum themed one is going on the east wall, to the left of the lanai as you walk in, next to Koro, the drum god, who will now actually have a drum to beat on!

I'll ask about the video and the Dole whips, but I think the food might not be details the project manager would know about.

Yesterday I put all the new jewelry on the Tangaroa tiki gods, they'll be going up today, if everything goes as scheduled. Also, we should be foliating that tree, as it has been nice and bright and sunny (SO FAR!). The concrete is laid and dry and looks swell.

They had to rewire the singing orchids, so they took out the foliage from the boats, we had to redo those. Today I have to redo the foliage in the bird of paradise planters because the troglodites took those down and rewired those too.

Look for new bright fuzzy feathers around the orchid's necks (I did those!) and bright orange ones on the drumming interior tiki gods.

I was up on a ladder in the dark when they did a full run through of the show, it sounded clean and audible, I clearly heard parts of the songs I had never heard before, and suprise, no clacking! Well, from up on the ladder I didn't hear anything.

You know, I though of this after I saw the pictures people have been posting of the construction site...I may actually be in there while you guys are out there taking pictures...!

Talked to an imagineer, he says March 11th....I mentioned that was a Friday, and he said "that soounds about right". More definite stuff later.

Okay, I hear the whip cracking, gotta go make the doughnuts.

TikiCutie

I was peering over the wall the morning of the 25th (friday) and things are rolling along. I asked some disney guy named Larry what they did with all the old bits and pieces?, he said he did not know, but hoped that alot got saved. I told him I would love to buy some goodies from the restoration, but he did not know when they would become available.We got some sweet shirts from the jungle trader and a cool skull mask for the bar. I can't wait for the re-opening. TWT

Hey two Wheelin Tiki,

You must have spoken the The Man in Charge, Larry. Did he look like a plain clothed Mexican-type guy in his late 40's who carried a radio? That would be Our Larry.

I asked about the new audio, Blake the show programmer says the audio will be louder and clearer and not muffled. I asked about the old Dole video, yes it's going back in.

The Lanai has gotten all new planters and benches on the Western side and in front of the Tangaroa Tree (dang it, we stil haven't gotten the foliage on that! Although I have finished accesorizing the little Tiki gods that hang from the flowers). We have gotten all new lamps to hang from the shade cloths from a company called Renata's. They are made from shells and look gorgeous. The Pineapple stand has been refurbished, the got a new ceiling fan from a place called Casablanca. The entrance has been changed, yes there is a trellis to pass under, but it has carved/painted on hibiscus. If any fake foliage goes on there, they have yet to spring that on us. It will probably be last minute and they will want it done "yesterday" if any gets hung on it at all. No news of roses as of yet!

We hung the shields on the front of the building, finally. Not an easy task as it took two people in a manlift to complete the task!

I finally finished re-foliating the birds of paradise boxes inside, and the boats. All the birds are in, they are testing their movements now.

This week I'll be working on TRYING to finish the speaker covers that resemble drums and birdhouses. The imagineers like the work I have done so far. Fingers crossed that they get installed as is!

I keep asking about the opening date, and there is a resonating "March 12" drifting through the air. March 11 seems to be the day 'we" are supposed to be done rehabbing, and Saturday March 12 seems to be the agreed on date that we open for guests.

Some people were in filimg us working, I think it goes on closed circuit TV for inside the park.

I have yet to sculpt the claws for the littlest birds...they'll probably throw that at me at midnight before the opening.

Still living the goodlife, 8 hours a day at the Tiki Room, though! Couldn't ask for more.

Anybody have any more questions?

TikiCutie

G

On 2005-02-28 18:22, TikiCutie wrote:
Anybody have any more questions?

::raising hand:: Me me me! Ooh! Ooh!

Aside from this "trellis" thing, are there any other major variations in the Lanai? Is the new seating areas much like the old, for example? Also, is there anything being done as a "ground effect," similar to the simulated horse hooves and wagon trails in Frontierland?

Will there be any major changes with the tikis in the Lanai garden?

Does it appear as if there will be any show enchancements other than a really good clean-up/fix-up and improved sound? Any new figures or such?

Finally, as the date is coming soon, is there anything of yours we all should really, really be looking for?

Oh, and I dunno if they are supposed to me, or are just "generic people," but the little drop down tiki's on Tangaroa look a lot like Menehunee. :)

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

T

On 2005-02-28 18:22, TikiCutie wrote:
The entrance has been changed, yes there is a trellis to pass under, but it has carved/painted on hibiscus. If any fake foliage goes on there, they have yet to spring that on us. It will probably be last minute and they will want it done "yesterday" if any gets hung on it at all. No news of roses as of yet!

Man - I hope not....

Tikicutie - who's the Art Director on this rehab? Any ideas...?

Al Lutz on MiceAge confirms the Dole Whip will be back.

He reports:

"But when you do venture back in to the Tiki Room in the middle of March, you'll find a beautifully refreshed show that hasn't changed a bit. When the chorus of birds and flowers crashes into the Hawaiian War Chant, you'll be hard pressed to tell that it isn't 1963 all over again since the performers and effects all look so new. For you DoleWhip fans the new juice bar will be bigger, and the entrance should sport a new marquee, but everything else looks and sounds exactly as it always has, only fresh and clean. That's how Disneyland used to be all the time, remember?"

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al030105c.htm

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-03-01 12:52 ]

A

Last week I had the chance to listen to the Disneyland 6 CD set (95% completed) that I've helped out a bit on. Mostly, I was blown away by the material and it's quality. There were a few issues I pointed out and hopefully will be fixed. The box set will include the COMPLETE Enchanted Tiki Room show AND the pre-show. The source of the Tiki Room material is from the newly restored sources (same with the pre-show). All I can say is that the Tiki Room has NEVER sounded this good. Of course, I couldn't tell what the edits on the actual show will be (i.e. Offenbach) because the box set will include the complete show while the actual show will be slightly edited as has been in the last 10 years. You can hear every instrument and vocal as never before. Please do not make a big deal out of this (or I'll get in trouble), but those overdubs made in the 90's (i.e. Female vocals added to Heigh Ho) are still present and that one gong sound was still missing (but was added to the box set version). The pre-show is of AMAZING sound quality. They are all the original voices, but some of the sound effects were replaced by newly recorded ones. At first it freaked me out, but then I heard the original tracks and concluded that (as much of a purist as I am) the new SFX are a real improvement. I only noted 2 obvious changes: The "Midnight Dancer's" drums are newly recorded with the same drums and same drum beat patterns, but now with new clarity. The most stricking change is Pele and the Earth Balancer's SFX. The low-end earthquake rumble sounds like a THX demonstration, and when Pele's fire erupts, it does so with explosive sounds. Actually, I found this to be very impressive. The announcer's welcome is still the same from 1963 but HEAVILY edited. I believe these edits were made a few years ago. Basically they cut out the references to no food, drinks allowed as they now allow them. And of course the references to United Airlines which were cut back in the 60's. It makes for a very short welcome announcement. I can say for sure that the box set audio is the definite version to own. Down the line, the Enchanted Tiki Room CD soundtrack sold at Disneyland will be updated with the newly restored version and will continue to have the great Adventurous Jungle Cruise track featuring Thurl (Tangaroa). As far as I know, the pre-show will still not be on this single CD, but I'll try my best to convince them otherwise. The Jungle Cruise track will not be on the box set. What WILL be on the box sets sold at Disneyland is an acurate reproduction of the Walt Takes You to Disneyland LP on golden vinyl which includes all the background music heard on that Jungle Cruise track.
I could go on and on about the box set, but I don't want to be quoted on all those Disney websites. Besides, the box set will be coming out soon enough. The target release date is 05-03-05, but I assume Disneyland will hold off selling it until 2 days later when the 50th celebration starts. There will also be 2 CD set of the Disneyland Resort (meaning Disneyland and California Adventure) sold as a souvenir for the not-so-hardcore collectors. Besides those 2 releases, there will be an even shorter 1 CD 50th released nationwide only. The box set is expected to eventually make a nationwide release minus the vinyl record.
Ok, I'll keep this short. I just wanted you all to know that the Tiki Room material is well represented on the box set and to save moeny for it ($125). The box set is actually worth every penny. Besides 6 CDs (nearly 8 hours of audio), it will also include a fancy hardcover book with Disneyland music info and great rare pictures, as well as the vinyl all house on a great big box (around 12 X 12).
Other Tiki Room merchandise rumors I heard are: Barker Bird reproduction, Tangaroa lamp, 60's Tiki Room Aloha shirt reproduction. We've also heard here on TC about the Adventureland mug by Shag/Tiki Farm.
Did I say I was keeping this short?
Your friend,
Louis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies