Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Wal-Mart Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

On 2008-04-20 14:04, Brandomoai wrote:
That could be anywhere...

Yeah, but I know what you look like...

Yes, correct. It is in Las Vegas... Unfortunately here in Hawaii the WalMart does not have a lawn and garden section, so the largest Tiki at the Walmart in Honolulu is 4 inches tall made of plastic.

Here are more pics of the Tikis at that Super Center:

and yes the prices are ridiculously low!

Aloha,
Kawika

K

I know not everyone will share my opinion, but most of these things are beyond horrendous. They give "bad tiki" a bad name. Maybe there's a decent one buried in that wall display that can be repainted and put behind a bush.

Are these really "hand carved" and "from Hawaii?" I doubt it very much. Those Ku tikis look decent in the photo but why do they have to make them stacked like that?

Is that a tiki guitar hanging up there?

I think they're surprisingly good, I mean for Walmart. Remember, things like this are great to use as building blocks. For instance, I've been waiting for just the right size, and okay enough looks so I can buy 4 sturdy ones and use them as legs for an outdoor lounge table.

Also I know from experience that those cheap Walmart/Target Tikis can actually stand the elements a bit, and even if they can't, you don't feel so bad about it.

As for the bad paint jobs, that's easily fixable.

I've also seriously given thought to cutting open two of those big boys and seeing what kind of congas I can make out of them, or place congas inside them.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-20 20:18 ]

Thanks for the WalMart tip. I was there the other night and checked the garden section for tiki (as I always do) but found nothing. I'll keep checking!

On 2008-04-20 14:24, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2008-04-20 13:13, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
well...duh!!! ......of course walmart of hawaii has a whole tiki display!!!!! good luck finding a walmart that has tikis like that on the mainland......

You didn't carefully read the post. According to Tiki Master, it is a Walmart in Las Vegas with a Tiki display.

On 2008-04-19 20:53, TikiMaster wrote:
I just came across some Tiki products at a Walmart in Las Vegas...

you should know by now that when i'm pissed off i never carefully read anything!! LOL....i was just so livid that once again, the midwest was gonna get screwed by not having any tiki in the walmarts here...not that those tikis are that great, but there are a couple decent ones that i can use for filler in my new tiki room endeavor.....which helps in cutting costs down on decor .........

K

Tipsy - Vegas is considered the ninth Hawaiian Island anyway, so in some ways you were right about that being a Hawaiian Wal-Mart.

F.Y.I.... walmarts sprout like weeds in vegas....a friend out there told me that not all of them carry a hawiaan display like that-she's been to three and hasn't seen it......we need an address to nail it down....thanks!!

Here is the address of the Wal-Mart I went to:
Wal-Mart Super Center
5200 So. Fort Apache Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89148
Tel: 702-367-4001

Good luck!
Aloha,
Kawika

On 2008-04-21 14:46, TikiMaster wrote:
Here is the address of the Wal-Mart I went to:
Wal-Mart Super Center
5200 So. Fort Apache Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89148
Tel: 702-367-4001

Good luck!
Aloha,
Kawika

...ya know..i once thought i was part american indian cause of how my facial hair grew in...apache here and apache there!! Ha!!!

-thanks for the info!!

....godamn those tikis are pricey!!! for walmart, no less.....i had an agent in vegas stand in front of the display whilst i sat here 2,000 miles away in front of the 10 ft monitor of my super villian lair top secret headquarters as she read off the prices of each tiki i pointed out.....holy crap...for these crap ass lookin tikis they want more than what they are worth to me......walmart has to put down the crack pipe.....whatever happened to good ol' exploitation of third world denizens??? maybe the carvers finally got a union together.......i dunno, but i felt that i can buy this indo-tiki stuff all day long on the internet at half the price for some of these......have fun!!! i'm gonna take a pass on this one........

this is what happens when the workers demand heath care, the price of your plastic vacu-formed tiki's goes through the roof.

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-22 06:04 ]

S

Looks like the carvings have made their way to California...I found them in Wal-Mart minutes from Huntington Beach! I bought a bunch for my shack...I couldn't pass!

Has anyone else found them besides NV & CA?
Anyways, good swell over the weekend!
Surf's UP!

That's a pretty good display of wooden tiki's, even though they are the one's shipped in from Indo and philippians.. Even at our one and only wallymart here on Maui they don't stock signs and tiki's over 12" tall... BY the Way, How much are those larger ones i the picture, bottom right selling for??

ALohA

The two 5 ft mask with a stand (bottom right) are about $115. It's pretty good considering shipping would be about $40-45 on a piece like this.

A Hui Hou,
Tikimaster

Apparently my local Wally World stores had the garden KUs with the glowing eyes, but I was too late to find them. Apparently a friend saw them, but thought they were too tacky for my liking. DOH! For the record: Nothing is too tacky for the garden!

Pages: 1 2 64 replies