Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

To cap or not to cap, a bottle pourer question. Bartenders?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Ok heres a question. I've recieved several packs of Bottle pourers and Speed Pourers as gifts. And I do like to accuracy and utility of them.

But the question nagging in the back of my mind is this. If I put a bottle with a speed pourer that doesn't have a cap on the end, do I have to worry about evaporation? And do I have to worry if someone tosses an unwrapped onion in the fridge, will my precious Sailor Jerry taste like Onion Sailor Jerry?

Any bartenders have the answers to my nagging questions?

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

PS sorry if this should be in the Tiki Drinks section, feel free to move it. After reading the Tiki Drinks description, it kinda seemed like this might not belong there. Maybe beyond tiki?

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-08-02 17:17 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 5:42 PM

Evaporation may not be the issue, but bugs! An "open" liquor bottle will get little bugs in it. I am not sure what kind they are. Look like tiny fruit flies. But you will occasionally get them if the bottle is open, even with a pourer in it.

I agree on the bugs.
I once ordered a Pimm's and Gin at a place in Salem, Oregon that didn't move a lot of Pimm's - I got the "last shot" as the waitress said, which came with exactly 12 fruit flies in it.

T
thejab posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 6:23 PM

Bring out the caps for entertaining so you can save time and look like a pro, but save the original caps and recap the bottles when the party's over so the flies don't have their own party.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 7:38 PM

A restaurant I used to work in would put aluminum foil over the pourers at the end of the night.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-08-02 20:16 ]

C

Here's to the flies! They died a magnificent death!

Cheers!

B

I keep pourers on all my bottles, but with a type that incorperates little removable caps to protect the spout when not in use. I had a hell of a time finding new ones with caps, so I ended up going to the hardware store and buying a handfull of Vacuum tube caps the right size, about a nickle a piece.

The vacuum line covers are a great idea. If you want to be extra careful, there are pourers available with screens in them to keep the bugs out.
http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AM&Product_Code=COTWF0026-S&Category_Code=A13-3

Pourers should be ok on the drinks bugs don't like, such as gin. I assume they go for the sweet stuff.

Trader Woody

At my hotel, they use cellophane sheets, 9x9 inch sheets called Roll-O-Sheets.
http://www.roll-o-sheets.com/cello.htm
They’re the easiest solution for the problem and they are disposable. No mess and they are not really that visible.
I don’t use them at my tiki bar because I never keep fruit lying around, where the obvious fruit flies come from.
Evaporation has never been a problem.

The little scurges you refer to is the common Drain Fly.

They do like sweets, but will go for anything. They are a Fruit Fly, but not the kind that ruin intire industires, like the Med Fly, Mex Fly or Oriental Fruit Fly.

They can be trapped in a item called a McPhail Trap, which uses yeast to attract the little blighters to the jar, and once in...they can't get out.
(Sinister Laughter Here_

A vile pest called Apple Maggot is interesting as it has a pattern on it's wings which when viewed upside-down looks like a large spider. The fly even moves its wings in such a way to look like large spider and intimidate would-be preditors.

I helped a friend of mine with his restaurants bar.A really effective solution for the flies is wipe the bottles down with bleach water.Wash the caps in really hot water to get the crud out and put them back on the bottles.Wiping downs the botlles each night masks the scent of the hooch and deters the flies.If that fails cover with pieces of foil or replace the caps.

Pages: 1 11 replies