Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's to open in VEGAS!! (Closed)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 390 replies

On 2008-12-26 11:32, Ojaitimo wrote:
All of the mugs and giftware are 50% off right now so we went for a couple of mugs.

I don't suppose that anyone in LV would want to go pick up some of those mugs for me? I will be there in April and could get them from whatever wonderful person would want to do that for me then or they could be shipped out to me before then. Please! Anyone?! The tiki gods will smile on you! PM me and we can work something out. You know there are Thatch mugs to be released soon and you will only be able to get them at the bar. I'm thinking we could work out a great deal here.

On another note, I am really glad to hear that they aren't closing. I went there last April and had a great time. One of my best friends from high school and I went to dinner there for the first time in seeing each other in 12 years. Over those 12 years we had both falling in love with tiki and knew it would be the perfect place to see each other, again. I really enjoyed my drinks and food and was looking forward to going there, again, this April. I was sad when I thought it was going to be closed. Trader Vic's is back on my list for LV!

Hey Tim, am I seeing it right, in the upper right corner, they also made that Hanalei Tiki from the BOT into a plastic mug?:

I'd love to get one of those for my BOT collection.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-12-31 11:31 ]

I called the Vegas Trader yesterday and, according to the manager, they are not closing for renovation on the 5th. I even made reservations for the 6th. So who knows what is going on?

I too emailed TV's in LV to see if they would be back open for my trip out there. They said that there was no plans to close their doors or to remodel.

Regardless, with that 50% off sale I am still begging someone to pick some stuff up for me.

O

Sven,
I'll try to get one of plastic mugs for you but if they are closing maybe PDrake or Tiki Pug, Mr. & Mrs. Smiley can swing by there before I go back next month.

Yeah, I called today and they are apparently still open this weekend so who knows. I hope they don't think that a remodel isn't necessary, (Sorry Doc, it is)
Good food and drinks with a view of Bellagio fountains still doesn't make it a Trader Vic's. IMHO of course. But a little remodel, make the patio look like your website describes it, who knows?

M

A Vegas Newspaper recently mentioned that Trader Vics will be closing very soon for a name and management change-or something like that.
Inky and I will have to try to make one last visit.

On 2009-01-06 23:48, mrsmiley wrote:
A Vegas Newspaper recently mentioned that Trader Vics will be closing very soon for a name and management change-or something like that.

This should be interesting.......

M

On 2008-09-20 14:59, RevBambooBen wrote:

I read somewhere that Sammy Hagar Cabo Wabo might be taking over the space.

Anything would be better than white walls.

On 2008-09-22 13:45, Rob Roy wrote:

The fate of the decor is unknown as is who is taking over the space.

On 2008-11-02 21:53, mrsmiley wrote:

They had four to five bartenders that did a good job of ignoring us. At one point, one of our party asked "when are you closing". The bartender said-"you mean tonight, or what?". She said," closing". He said, "we will be changing the theme".
How can you change a theme that is almost not there? He didn't say anything about the name. He couldn't say more because "I am not a manager". Will it be "Trader Vic's Cabo Wabo Bar"???

Two words; Cabo Wabo ! Remove the Trader Vics. :(

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2009-01-09 11:41 ]

On 2009-01-07 21:58, RevBambooBen wrote:

This should be interesting.......

That's weird I just read that a new Trader Vic will be opening in Vegas in the Spring of 2009? Any information on that?
F. Michaels

O

Not sure about a new Trader Vic's location in Las Vegas this spring but the Los Angeles Trader Vic's is opening at LA Live around that time.
What I do know is that the Aku Aku statues are both in Las Vegas that stood in front of the Stardust where the Echelon now stands a half built shell.
One Aku Aku in Sunset park on the island in the middle of the lake.
Forgotten by most of the locals but few of the birds.
The other Aku Aku is at Dr. Lonnie Hannergan's home where he is cherished. Hundreds of visitors visit him every Nevada day when he has a open house.

On 2009-01-09 19:15, Ojaitimo wrote:

What I do know is that the Aku Aku statues are both in Las Vegas that stood in front of the Stardust where the Echelon now stands a half built shell.
One Aku Aku in Sunset park on the island in the middle of the lake.
Forgotten by most of the locals but few of the birds.
The other Aku Aku is at Dr. Lonnie Hannergan's home where he is cherished. Hundreds of visitors visit him every Nevada day when he has a open house.

Sorry, Ojaitimo-no Stardust AKU at Lonnie's. He did buy the giant statues from the Stardust auction a couple years back that were discribed as "tikis", and he does have some time stuff-mostly beat up witco, but no giant AKU. I wish he had. A vegas local told me the other day that the second one was demolished-but i didn't press for details.
from the calling "Calling All Vegas Tiki Freaks...."thread;"The "Tiki Village" (as they called it) went for $6,500 today. "
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21552&forum=1&start=last&25

On 2009-01-09 16:25, forestm333 wrote:

That's weird I just read that a new Trader Vic will be opening in Vegas in the Spring of 2009? Any information on that?
F. Michaels

Anything is possible, but I don't know of any space large enough that is vacant on the strip-and I doubt they would open off the strip. Plus the economy is of course really crappy right now. I will have to ask around.

We stopped by the Planet Hollywood and had drinks and appetizers at Vic's. I asked the waiter what was up with the rumors and he basically said the staff only has rumors also and the current one is that they are shutting down by the end of the month and the place might become a Cabo Wabo Cantina instead. That seems pointless since there is a Hawaiian Tropic Zone anchoring the other end of the mall.

Drinks and food were good. Service was good. But they were out of TV swizzles, picks, potted parrots and menehunes so that does suggest that someone in management doesn't expect to be open long.

All the merchandise was being sold cheap cheap cheap but I could not get them to sell me a menu for some reason.

O

Does anyone know the current status? I'm going back on the 20th for the weekend.
If they are still open how about a gathering for a Mai Tai, sit by the "Lanai"
and enjoy the Bellagio fountain show. Sort of a memorial service for LVTV?
If they are already closed maybe Frankie's?

On 2009-02-04 12:37, Ojaitimo wrote:
Does anyone know the current status? I'm going back on the 20th for the weekend.
If they are still open how about a gathering for a Mai Tai, sit by the "Lanai"
and enjoy the Bellagio fountain show. Sort of a memorial service for LVTV?
If they are already closed maybe Frankie's?

Ojaitimo - I wouldn't waste my time or money at TV Las Vegas. Go to Frankie's, that's the place to be :)

I know what I am going to write will upset many and sound like sacrilege to most; however, it needs to be said. My wife and I finally got into the Trader Vic's at Las Vegas and I have to say, I certainly wasn't repulsed. I've been to many Trader Vic's throughout the country, some traditional and others not so traditional. To me, the expression of tiki is something that expresses itself in the sense of spirit one feels when in the restaurant. We both enjoyed the ultra-modern take on tiki.

My criticisms are with the lack of chinese oven dishes, the presentation of the drinks, and lack of understanding by the ownership of the traditions of service that becomes trader vics. For instance, the Beverly Hills "old" Trader Vics was a place that swooshed you away, not because of the eye candy, but because of how you were made to feel when you walked into the place.

That said, one gentleman who worked their - I can not say the name as he is a long and trusted employee of TV's, was brutally honest. He had many qualms with the place and his qualms were identical with the ones I mentioned. He was much more upset than I was that my Samoan Fog Cutter was served with an orchid, my wife's Suffering Bastard came without a cucumber, and that her coffee was not served in the skirted mug. In fact, he openly wished he could fire someone for such mistakes. He presented us with two large tiki mugs, a salt and pepper shaker and his card. His concerns had nothing to do with the lack of tiki's or bamboo, but with the lack of understanding of by the staff and ownership of the legacy of Trader Vic's.

There has to be room for people to experiment with the "art" of tiki. Theme and variation is healthy. Often, it means many dead ends and the Las Vegas Trader Vics will be one of them. But not because it lacked a certain quota of tikis or bamboo, but because it disrespected the traditions of service that was the Trader.

I also visted Franke's Tiki Lounge. Yes, I like it. The drinks I ordered were spot on, all thought the 100 dollar Mai Tai had too much orgeat in it. That's what you get with a free pour. It was loud, noisy, and a fight almost broke out in a group of young bucks. But hey, it was late Friday night. Yes, what we would all give to have such a great looking tiki bar down the street. But if I had a choice of going to Forbidden Island or Franke's, I would take Forbidden Island because ultimately, the spirit of Don and Vic are setting with you in the booths. To me, that is tiki.

Go ahead, rip me a new one.

On 2009-02-09 08:38, telescopes wrote:
To me, that is tiki. Go ahead, rip me a new one.

We're all going to wait for Bigbro to post about this and then we'll all tell you what we think.

Buzzy Out!

Oh, I pretty much know what he's going to say - however - having read both his books many times over, and having participated in tiki in the late 70's onward, I still maintain that their is an essence to tiki that transcends any "formula" of physical elements. The "whole" is often more than the sum of its parts. Trader Vics in Vegas failed not because it lacked a specific tiki item, but because it wasn't grounded in the spirit of what Don and Vic initially put forward. Personally, I believe that the revelation of tiki is always evolving and growing. I don't believe the canon is closed, nor is the essence of tiki a dead language such as Latin. Drinks, food, and an atmosphere that elevates you away from life's concerns and transports you to a far away exotic place where the women are playful and flirtatious, Politically Correct behavior is laughed at, and the scenery is reminiscent of a Tahitian dream, there you have tiki.

This leaves lots of room for experimentation, modernism, and stylization.

On 2009-02-09 17:43, telescopes wrote:
Drinks, food, and an atmosphere that elevates you away from life's concerns and transports you to a far away exotic place where the women are playful and flirtatious, Politically Correct behavior is laughed at, and the scenery is reminiscent of a Tahitian dream, there you have tiki.

I wonder if we can talk Hooters franchises into throwing up some thatch and bamboo?
Now THAT would be TIKI!

Buzzy Out!

On 2009-02-09 17:43, telescopes wrote:
Oh, I pretty much know what he's going to say - however - having read both his books many times over, and having participated in tiki in the late 70's onward, I still maintain that their is an essence to tiki that transcends any "formula" of physical elements. The "whole" is often more than the sum of its parts. Trader Vics in Vegas failed not because it lacked a specific tiki item, but because it wasn't grounded in the spirit of what Don and Vic initially put forward. Personally, I believe that the revelation of tiki is always evolving and growing. I don't believe the canon is closed, nor is the essence of tiki a dead language such as Latin. Drinks, food, and an atmosphere that elevates you away from life's concerns and transports you to a far away exotic place where the women are playful and flirtatious, Politically Correct behavior is laughed at, and the scenery is reminiscent of a Tahitian dream, there you have tiki.

This leaves lots of room for experimentation, modernism, and stylization.

One simple word.

Escapism!

....and everyone has their own way of doing it.

C

Alright, I'm going to go out on a limb here and DEFEND Vic's Las Vegas...Now don't get me wrong it's not up to snuff with the orig Bev Hills nor does it compare decor and ambience wise to the Tiki temples we all love. BUT, I've been there at least six times for drinks and dinner and it is head and tails above most Vegas fare. If you want to hit the strip and have a little slice of Tiki it's plenty good for this gambling fool. I ain't no professional critic, but I know good food and drink when they are served to me and I have had some really excellent food and some pretty tasty rum drinks too. I keep reading this thread and I think there's too much of the glass is half empty syndrome. I think that while the decor is lacking...they're generally getting the food and drink thing right. And it is first and foremost a restaurant...So cheer up for god sakes. Where else (besides Franks-I'll check it out next time..) are you gonna go in Vegas. Cheeseburger in Paradise????? No thanks!

Both of the gentlemen that are defending the Vegas Vic's have their points, and I, never having been IN the finished place, can accept that. As I always say, I like a GOOD, INTELLIGENT argument. I agree with the statement that Tiki is not a dead art form, how else could I swoon over Oxford's "Kukui"?

But it again comes down to perspective: Being an urban archeologist, the Tiki style that primarily interests me is the ART FORM, a stylistically unique period of mid-century DESIGN, ART and ARCHITECTURE -unique in concept and "kitsch" value. To me, this is where the Vegas Vic's failed: Shunning it's tradition, and not original enough in it's innovation.

Others see Tiki more as a life style package, where food and drink and service matter. That's secondary to me, just doesn't faze me as much (x-ept for the drink part :D ).

Now is this the longest running thread ever, or what !? :)

I was hoping that both BigBro and Ben would way in. Having read enough of Ben's posts, I suspected he had a more liberal bent to tiki. I agree with BigBro, mid-century tiki is a unique and fascinating art form. Tiki lives and because it does, it grows. Hard as it may seem to many on this site, we actually may be entering a new golden age of tiki. Let's call it, our Diamond Jubilee.

I hate to say it, but I'll still go in to see it...if it is still open.

On 2009-02-09 08:38, telescopes wrote:
That said, one gentleman who worked their - I can not say the name as he is a long and trusted employee of TV's, was brutally honest. He was much more upset than I was that my Samoan Fog Cutter was served with an orchid, my wife's Suffering Bastard came without a cucumber, and that her coffee was not served in the skirted mug. In fact, he openly wished he could fire someone for such mistakes. His concerns had nothing to do with the lack of tiki's or bamboo, but with the lack of understanding of by the staff and ownership of the legacy of Trader Vic's.

It is too bad that the only employee who seems to care is one who can't fix the problems. Those who can fire people for not doing their jobs correctly either don't care, or do not pay attention. I too have had some good experiences there-but I have had many more bad ones. Inky had to turn back her food-she has never done that before-and the replacement dish was awful also! For the most part, the best food and drinks we had were at the Pre-opening party and that was in a ballroom-the restaurant wasn't finished yet! Why was that night so good? CONTROL! The Vics exec's were there, and the staff was trained by stellar Vic's employees from other locations. And then, the Vegas employee's either forgot their training-or employee turnover diluted the well trained first run of
employees. The control was fading. Combined with Vegas (not corporate)management that didn't seem to think that doing it Vic's way was important and the downward spiral snowballed. I wish more people had your good experience. I wish I did! Sure, if the place looked great and service, food, and drinks still were sucked people would complain. But I have a feeling, there would be less strong complaints if Vegas Vic’s looked as it does, but the food, drinks, and service were always stellar!
The employee you mentioned is no surprise to Vic's Corporate-I have a feeling they know who he is and what a strong, great employee he is. Yes-a restaurant customers food, drink and service experience is far more important that the decor! And he knows that.

On 2009-02-10 11:43, ZeroTiki wrote:
I hate to say it, but I'll still go in to see it...if it is still open.

BTW- their phone number is 702-405-4700.

The last time we were there, the bartender was not too bad and the drinks were better than usual.

i went to trader vics in vegas and bought there cheap souvenirs drink menu $12 wahini mug,$8 ashtrays $6 tv shirts$5 didnt eat or drink there more concerned with getting to the real tiki joint FRANKIES it was well worth risking are lives to get there!!! and will be going again when were back in town!!

i went to trader vics in vegas and bought there cheap souvenirs drink menu $12 wahini mug,$8 ashtrays $6 tv shirts$5 didnt eat or drink there more concerned with getting to the real tiki joint FRANKIES it was well worth risking are lives to get there!!! and will be going again when were back in town!!

O

On 2007-11-12 09:04, Ojaitimo wrote:

On 2007-11-10 16:13, Kona Chris wrote:

On 2007-11-10 09:31, Ojaitimo wrote:

Holy Crap! I just saw this picture today.
I'm sorry LV Trader Vic's for slamming you guys. Guess I won’t need my VR googles after all.

On 2007-11-09 13:04, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Restaurant Hospitality has an article on Trader Vics in this month's issue. So here it is from the restauranteur's perspective:

You might want to read up a few posts Ojai... That's TV's Scottsdale.

Chris

What can I say, wishfull thinking. But the magazine picture did say Las Vegas Trader Vic's.

Guess I will be needing these after all.

Curiosity alone should bring in crowds of tourists for years.
[Restaurant Hopitality, November 2007, pg.28] (yeah, maybe one time)

Sung to the tune of Money (that’s what I want} by the Beatles

The new Las Vegas Trader ’s Vic’s,
Doc built a ultra lounge that looks like ##
Now he wants money ( that’s what he wants)
That what they want, want (that’s what they want)

Vic Burgeron is is rolling in his grave,
He can’t believe what happened there,
They turned his swank Polynesian fantasy vision
Into this,just for money? (that’s what they want)

““There are very few culinary icons like Trader Vic’s”
“It’s legacy in the world is unmatched” says Doc Weirner.
But please explain to me how this place fits in?
Unless it’s money? (is that all that counts)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-11-13 09:23 ]

My suggestion is to get yourself a pair of these to wear when you're there.
Drinks and food have always been good when I've been there.
The decor? Well.... thats what the VR googles are for.

I popped in for a Mai Tai last night (total crap, by the way - Capt Morgan Spiced Rum?) and the bartender is pretty convinced they'll be shutting down in the next month or so. Bought a headhunter coffee mug for $7 and went on my way. I'm sure Frankies is great and all (I'm going to check it out tonight) but it'd be nice to have a decent Tiki joint on the strip. Once TV is gone, that leaves... Kahunaville!?! Farewell and aloha, Trader Vics Las Vegas. When I return, you'll probaby be a Cabo Wabo...

How disapointing. We were really looking forward to going to TV's when we go to Vegas for the SEMA show in November. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will stay open another 8 or 9 months.

Hopefully people will keep us informed on it's status.

I just called today to see if my reservations for this Friday the 20th will still be valid. I said I had heard they might be closed "for remodeling". The person on the phone didn't really react one way or the other to my mention of closing but did say that she would check and came back with a "yeah it looks like you should be fine for this Friday". I will report back after my visit there if I can dig up any more info on the fate of TVLV!

Went there last night for dinner. The place is still up and running but I had a long talk with our waiter. He said no one knows what is going on and everyone working there is frustrated because they don't know if they'll have jobs and when/if they may get cut. A manager from Cabo Wabo WAS running the place for awhile but not anymore. There were talks between Cabo and Vics but the deal fell through so now they are in limbo.

Here's the saddest part of all. Because of the uncertainty of their future, the current manager isn't reordering any of their regular items....like rum. SOOOOOOO their Mai Tais are now a concoction of whatever rums and ingredients they have left. While it wasn't awful, it wasn't a classic Vics Mai Tai and certainly not worth the price. They were completely out of certain wines and had to substitute. Many of the drinks didn't come with the kitchy props (swizzle sticks etc) because, again, they were out.

The food was good but presented and prepared very differently from the Emeryville menu. The mugs were still 50% and were a GREAT deal....but their supply is dwindling.

As mentioned earlier, the decor is ultra modern tiki. If you took away the huge two or three tikis in the dining room and did away with the tiki face behind the bar, you could be anywhere.

A little sad really. So much potential. I'd still recommend a quick visit....but don't expect to be blown away. Up next...a trip to FRANKIES!!!!!

While I hate to knock anyplace that has any type of history ,and being from a place wih really nothing( so anything so something)the Trader Vics Las vegas is not my idea of the future of TIKI or even a modern take on it .....just seems like a boring upscale burger joint to me ......sad as has been said due to this chains legacy but a waste of tiki time away from FRANKIES!
HALF PRICE MUGS THOUGH! I picked up a cool ashtray the mugs were eeeeehhh naw maybe next time ....

Stay on the plane and visit Chicago's Trader Vics!

T

Okay. I gotta toss in another word here. Even if the place has little tiki, I'd try it again. Just because it isn't a traditional TVs doesn't mean, in my opinion, that they're better off closing it and opening something else trendy, like a Cabo Wabo shudder I'd rather have a mediocre TVs than some other 'the hip crowd on the latest trend' joint.

Assuming for the moment that, when I revisit LV this summer, TVs LV is still open, can anyone give me some opinions on these specifics?
-- Who tends there who's worth talking to about good drinks, knows at least something like how to make a hand-made Mai Tai, anyone have names? If they're still there, I'll find out when they're on, and go then. Just anyone who does more than follow a written recipe and keep their eyes on the book while mixing.

-- Which drinks there tend to be good? I don't mean flawless, perfect, everything done right, exactly like Vic Bergeron or Donn Beach would have done. I mean good as in worth the price and tasty in general. I do like and appreciate authenticity, but I don't have a fit if I don't get it. My boyfriend's London Sour was good - my Fogcutter was not - but this was last summer. I just want things that have some complexity (not just syrupy-sweet) and tend not to be watered-down, all ice.

-- Is it true, does anyone know, that they CAN'T light drinks (like the Black Stripe, a favorite of mine for the last drink of the night) per fire code?

Assuming for the sake of conversation that, when I go, they're (1) still open, (2) have the current staff and (3) stock the full bar again, can someone(s) give me some answers? I'd like to maximize my experience. And if it turns out, when I go, that they're NOT there, or NOT the same...

-- Are there any good Polynesian cocktails in Vegas? Any specific drinks at certain bars on the Strip that are worth it, though not served in a mug? I hope someone else stocks Licor 43, too.

I'll be there this time next week! I'll report back on my findings. I'm also going to hit Frankie's while I'm there. Too bad TV's doesn't sell mugs anymore!

:drink:
Tacky

T

Fantastic! Thanks! We're certain they no longer sell mugs? I inquired about the skull mug when I was there last summer, don't remember the price but it was VERY high, like $40. Bought one at the San Jose-area one for less than $30.

I was there about 3 weeks ago and they still had plenty of mugs for insanely low prices. So unless they sold out between then and now, I'd think you could walk away with something. As for the drinks, it's a tough call because as of 3 weeks ago they were hobbling drinks togehter with whatever ingredients they had regardless of what the recipes called for.

If you're going to Frankie's, I'd save your "mug money" until you've been there. Frankie's has some REALLY cool mugs and since TV is on the main strip, it's easy enough to get back there if you still want one of their mugs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Looking forward to it! I've seen the Frankie's mugs online. I have some in mind already. I'll get TV's if I can get a deal or it specifically says Las Vegas. Otherwise I'll get something just for a swizzle stick and to say I've been there. I've been to the Emeryville TV's tons of times, but they had no mugs to sell last time I was in and they no longer give away the coconut mug with the Kamaaina drink. BUMMMMMEEERRR!

I'm going to be at Frankie's with one guy who looks like the Lava Lech mug. No lie. I'll try to post a picture when I get back. I discovered that I can post from my phone, but still can't upload from my camera. Go figure!

:drink:
Tacky

Don't know if it's true.
but I heard that TV's in LV is closed now.
any confirmation?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C
Chub posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 11:02 AM

I think it'd be a good idea if people stopped posting that this Trader Vic's is closed. Just pick up a phone and call them. I just did for you, and yes they are open.

If you get the urge to find out again in the future, here's their contact info:
Trader Vic’s
3663 Las Vegas Blvd South, Suite 160
Las Vegas, NV 89109

(702)405-4700

Thanks,
it was somebody that is from Las vegas,
but I figured it might not be true,
wonder why he would say that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Okay, it's official - at some point this spring or summer (undetermined) I WILL be in Las Vegas, along with someone who would enjoy TV's. So I'll go there, and if it IS open, I'll drink, chat with the waitstaff, ask questions, and give a full report upon my return. I'll try to take notes so I don't forget anything like: quality of drinks (admittedly I'm REALLY not an expert, so this will be very subjective), quality of service, prices of mugs, mixes etc. if they offer them, and what, if anything, the staff knows about closing, rebranding or revamping. The only thing I don't need to grab (unless they've really changed them) is drink prices, and I picked up one of their drink menus on my last visit. Free for the asking, and I did ask, I didn't sneak one - after how much I drank there last time, any misguided attempt at theft-fu would have been comical. Did someone say they had to buy a special 'souvenir menu' there?

I'll be picking up from bar-quality grog mix, if I can. Then I just gotta figger out how to mix one here.
~ Torch Guy

Since Trader Vic's is still open we will be going there for lunch on Thursday. I had a nice time when I was there last year and look forward to going there, again.

K
Koolau posted on Wed, May 6, 2009 1:31 AM

Signs that you might be having a bad experience at Trader Vic's Las Vegas:

Patio is packed with 20 year olds - you head inside the restaurant, and notice it is completely empty.

A waitress walks by - when you ask if it would be OK to sit at the bar, she answers "Sure, but there's no bartender in here."

You head outside, sit at the bar, and notice that all drinks are being served in clear plastic cups.

A bartender is simultaneously making four Red Bull and vodkas.

When you ask for a "Navy Grog", the bartender stares at you blankly, then walks over and looks at something tacked to the wall. He fills a plastic cup with ice, goes back to look at the wall again, looks at the bottles in the well, looks at the wall again, then says he has to talk to the other bartender.

After the other bartender is done opening Corona bottles, she comes over and asks you for your ID. Your hair is grey - not in some highlighted and spiked cool way that could be mistaken for grey - just plain old grey.

You ask again for a Navy Grog. The bartender opens a can of grapefruit juice, pours it into your glass along with a splash of syrup, then free-pours three bottles of booze into your drink at the same time.

You get your Trader Vic's Navy Grog in a plastic cup, take a sip, and taste grapefruit juice and rum.

When you complain that there's no allspice flavor, and tell her this isn't a Navy Grog, she says "That's how they trained us to make them." You state again that it's not right, she offers to make another drink. You figure you better keep it simple, so ask for a Mai Tai.

She nods her head, turns half a step, and then says "We're all out of dark rum - I don't know if that makes a difference to you."

You stare at her and just say "No thank you." You finish your grapefruit juice and rum.

Charge for this fun - $12.

I've had some good times at TVLV in the past (as recent as last Christmas) and I really didn't want to add to the crap parade, but this visit was just so amazingly bad. They literally did nothing right. And yet, the twentysomethings on the patio seemed to be having a great time, so I guess they did nothing right for a Trader Vic's, but have the whole College Bar thing nailed.

O

Open letter to Doc Weiner,

I'm hoping this will reach you somehow. I travel to Las Vegas often and stop by for one of your Hula girl mugs and duck tacos.
The patio was a cool place to sip a Mai Tai from your 48 oz mug while people watching.
I'll be returning in June and will be ordering a Mai Tai on the "lanai" I hope that you are not using plastic then?
Doc, I grew up with Trader Vic's and I hate reading posts like the one above me.
We had Christmas dinner at your place last year. The drinks and food were good. A few months later your out of dark rum?
Unshaken drinks, no allspice in the Navy Grog? "That's how we're trained" Not in any Trader Vic's that I have ever been in.
It takes twenty minutes in a kitchen to make allspice dram. One minute more to use a shaker.

Check out the new LA Trader Vic's, this is Trader Vic's.

See you in June

Ojaitimo
Tim

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 390 replies