Ben,
you may be
Vicious & Malicious
But I'm
Repetitious

I only have 16 more to do
Will

B

I Absolutely LOVE the Unorthodox use of everyday tools to perform off the wall tasks. Excellent one today Will. Definitely Mr Repetitious too with those spear points, cool stuff soon to be HOT. How do these guys tie in with those Chinese Ovens? And, Are they building more?

W

Well,
Here's the story.
Back in the day, the Mai-Kai served only Chinese food & had only Chinese cooks. In 68 they bumped that room out or in-closed it & used the 6ft spears as window dressing. They have 4 windows with 8 spears on each rack. One is inside & the spears look like brand new. 3 more are outside & there is only rusty wire sticking out of pipe ends left.
Well to make a long story short. I found the molds & we are on a roll now

The oven

OLD SPEARS

NEW SPEARS

B

Bump it UP

S
s!q posted on Thu, Dec 25, 2008 2:05 PM

great info everyone.

W

So how you like my new cool tool ?
21 inches of cold coarse steel.
some where between the chainsaw & sand paper
it would not be unusual to see me use this dude
for rapid wood removal.
they call it a 14 in.1/2 round wood rasp.
Check out the serrated edge.

I was always told - its not the size of your tool, but how you use it. Your not "compensating" are you?

H

I am looking for a bent V-shaped parting tool, with 90-degree angle. I have been looking around in stores, flexcut, ebay and can't find it. Here is a picture, it is # 2 second from the left. Any info would be great.

http://www.rockler.com
http://www.woodcraft.com
Any woodcarving supplier should have access to it. It will not be cheap!

L

Here are the best "V" Parting tools I have found. They come honed and ready to use Very sharp

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1329

I have been using Pfeil's for about 2 years now and love them. They hold there edge well.

Don't buy Henry Taylor "V" parting tools you wont be happy with them. The rest of the Taylor line is very good, I have had very bad luck with there "V' tools.

Depending on what angle you are looking for? 60º. 45º, 90º ect....

Pfiel uses odd numbers for there angles

#12 = 60º
#13 = 90º
#14 = 55º
#15 = 45º
#16 = 35º

Hope this helps.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, May 8, 2009 2:58 PM

Heh, someone else has the "Art of Maori Carving" book! Very timely posts as I'm after a V-chisel myself right now, and you are probably the master of said chisel round these parts T-Mec. Those prices are the best I've seen for Pfeil chisels yet.
nterestingly we are only using the straight Vs in our carving class right now, but I can definitely see the benefits of the curve when working around all those tight spirals. Could you share some of your shapes and sizes you're using on your current project T-Mec?

H

thanks for all the info. Uhm T-Mec, I am having a hard time finding the 90 degree tool. I put #13 and it didn't work, and since I don't really know what I am doing except for the fact that I need this particular tool to finish my piece, would you happen to know? where the 90 degree angle one is? No sweep but long bent V-parting tool. They have #12 but can't find #13.

On 2009-05-08 14:58, Paipo wrote:
Heh, someone else has the "Art of Maori Carving" book! Very timely posts as I'm after a V-chisel myself right now, and you are probably the master of said chisel round these parts T-Mec. Those prices are the best I've seen for Pfeil chisels yet.
nterestingly we are only using the straight Vs in our carving class right now, but I can definitely see the benefits of the curve when working around all those tight spirals. Could you share some of your shapes and sizes you're using on your current project T-Mec?

I noticed the book also. It was one of the first carving books I bought, when Octane posted it here a few years ago.

There is a newer version of that same book here:

http://www.booktopia.com.au/te-toi-whakairo-the-art-of-maori-carving/prod9780790003665.html#

Master? Me? Not even close.

I will snap some pics of the chisels I'm using on my latest for you.

On 2009-05-08 14:58, Paipo wrote:
Could you share some of your shapes and sizes you're using on your current project T-Mec?

95% of the detail work on my latest is with these 5.

Left to Right

90º 6mm V, 90º 4mm V, 45º Bent Palm 1/4" V, 4mm Skew & 8mm Skew

One thing to remember when using a V tool, is to make a few passes with it don't try to bite and dig it all out at once. Even with my small palm 1/4" V, I might make 3-4 cuts to get it to the depth I'm looking for.

Hope this helps.

B

Nice tools T-Mec, and you speak the truth about making multiple Passes to get to the intended depth and width. Hiltiki, the 90 deg v parting tools are usally the least popular as most folks want the narrower cut since multiple passes with the 90 degree tool ends up pretty wide and shallow of a cut.

Keep in mind also when going across the grain or in circular cuts that you Need to go in one direction on one side of the cut and the opposite direction on the other side. For those who ask why? One side will be going With the grain on one side and Against the grain on the other so what I usually do is make the cut in 3 passes; one down the center taking the first third and then one cut in each direction to clean the cut and Maybe a 4th cut to get the bottom right.

V-tools, V-Parting tools and V-liner tools all being the same, they are Complicated tools and probably the Worse sharpened tool in your box. If you look, there are 3 separate parts to the chisel; 2 sides made up of actually 2 straight chisels , connected by a regular small gouge. It's that little gouge part that usually fails to get sharpened correctly and so it will usually be found protruding like a beak hence it's called a birds beak in that situation. It must be sharpened just the same as a normal rounded gouge making sure it connects to both Flat sides evenly. Failure to do this will usually result in that "Beak" being broken off and damaging the chisel.
Hope this helps

H

Thanks Timac and Benz for all the info. I went to Ventura yesterday to the Woodcraft store and bought this tool.

Nice store, the guys working there were real helpful and I noticed they had a woodworking workshop going on when I was there. I am ready to finish my piece I just have to wait for my cast to come off.

B

Yeay Hiltiki, I'm Glad you were able to find the tool you needed right in your own back yard. Now you have plenty time to get it sharpened and honed before you use it. :o When does the cast come off your arm?

Not carving tools but....

I need Carbon Brushes for a JET table saw

mdl # JSL-10ts

1 1/2 hp

4200 rpm

115v

15 amp.

The # on the Brush is 105s.

Having a hard time finding this!!!

I'll try to get the size metric size soon.

Arrrrrrrr!!!!!

B

greetings Other Ben, Is there a modle/part # on the motor?

Also is this a cabinet saw and is there a part # of the saw itself like a several digit number beginning with a 7? or other #.
Here are some service centers who service the Jet tools who may have the brushes. ( I was too lazy to find your address so I used the 92647 zip code so the miles may be different to you. )

Connelly Machinery Repair
4873 Fir Avenue
Seal Beach, CA 90740 Field Service : Yes 5.36 Miles
MAP
(P) 7149810492
Servicing:

Marine Machine & Mfg.
719 Ohms Way
Costa Mesa, CA 92627 Field Service : Yes 7.08 Miles
MAP
(P) 9496457601

Terry’s Tool Works
1431 E. 28th St.
Signal Hill, CA 90755 Field Service : Yes 9.56 Miles
MAP
(P) (562) 988-9150

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-05-27 09:58 ]

Thanks for all the help.

I found a place close to OA in Whittier that has

tens of thousands of em.

I'll be there this Fri.

Moohalo TC!

B

COOL

tikimecula, V-tool one of my favorites. Nice Edge on the V-tools. Those things are a bear to keep up. Do you a V-stone to keep them that way?

I'm off to town to buy my first angle grinder today, I've read many of the posts and seems that the makita 4 1/2" is the brand I'll probably get. Is there a certain model that I should look for that maybe is better than another..??
Just carved my first palm log tiki with the chisels but need to be sanded and maybe cut deeper..

If anyone here could posts some digits for me that would be xlnt..

Mahalo's

Scott

On 2009-05-28 08:36, Tikilizard wrote:
tikimecula, V-tool one of my favorites. Nice Edge on the V-tools. Those things are a bear to keep up. Do you a V-stone to keep them that way?

I use a Tormek.

Best investment I ever made for my chisels.

Beachbumz, look for one that has the option of mounting the handle left/right/center. I usually leave mine mounted at the top-center and that just works for me on my 7.5a Porter-Cable. A trigger style on/off is nice too.

K

Hello all,
As Im new to Tiki Central I have a couple of questions about tools that carvers use like is there a recommended brand of chisels and electric chainsaws that most of the carvers like over others, and when you need Palm log stock to carve where do you mostly go to get it? Tree Services, dumps or wait until you see a palm getting cut down? Any information would be appreciated Thank you..

On 2009-05-28 12:52, TikiMango wrote:
Beachbumz, look for one that has the option of mounting the handle left/right/center. I usually leave mine mounted at the top-center and that just works for me on my 7.5a Porter-Cable. A trigger style on/off is nice too.

TikiMAngo, Mahalo's for the info, I ended up getting a Ryobi 6amp with the 3 mounts and swivel handle. Our home depot here does not have many choices and the Makita they did not have..
I've been using it for about two hours now and it works xlnt, once I build up an arsenal of logs I may get a more powerful one down the road..
Thanks again

For ALL your DIY tool motor needs...

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/powertools.aspx

Thanks for letting me barge in

and thanks for all your reply's.

If you go there in person, OA is a mile or so away.

Glad you found your brushes Ben.

B

Yeah, Me too, now maybe you can brush that Hair? :o

Mooney was looking for a link to this Wecheer Hand held Micro Motor.
Heres a couple links

http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarving/WecheerPowerTools/WecheerMicroEngraver.htm

And here for $42.95
http://www.texaswoodcarvers.com/Tool_Catalog/Wecheer.htm

Well, here's some pictures of what I used ot carve so far.

All packed in:

Unpacked:

Includes:

• 20 oz. Mallet
  • 4 Stright chisels
  • Starter set of interchangeable Flexcuts
  • Pencils
    Not pictured:
    -Sandpaper

And my way of dealing with tikis that owe me money!
Or a way to keep them moist

[ Edited by: The Lounge Tiki 2009-06-05 14:41 ]

B

Love those tools Lounge tiki and Mostly I love how you deal with the debtor tiki, bet it works wonders as well as keeping the guy wet. when you're done just don't let him dry out too fast. Alse where are the photos of him outta the watter?
Thanks.

Was reading the new Woodcarvers Illustrated and saw this article. A great resource explaining the uses of all the different power carving bits. Check out the new issue it also has a great review of the Dremel Multi-Max.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue48/Choosing-Power-Carving-Bits.php

T

On 2009-08-12 07:53, AlohaStation wrote:
Was reading the new Woodcarvers Illustrated and saw this article. A great resource explaining the uses of all the different power carving bits. Check out the new issue it also has a great review of the Dremel Multi-Max.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue48/Choosing-Power-Carving-Bits.php

Good article. Thanks.

I'm liking my Multi Max so far. For detail sanding it's more agile than the B&D Mouse - except that it doesn't have the smaller detail heads like the mouse. Sill, I've found it handier and I bet it's going to last longer too.

The saw attachment has been pretty handy for removing larger chunks of wood and making cuts across the grain. One drawback is the sandpaper is the velcro kind like the Mouse but more expensive. However, I'm betting you can cut other brands of "hook and loop" sandpaper to fit. Incidentally, when did velcro become "hook and loop"?! :roll:

The detail sanding head.

Woodcutting head.

TT

Sweet!!! Thanks for that link AlohaS. Being a newbie it's great to see what everyone uses as tools. Working on my first little tiki and hope to have pics up soon.... I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh when I also post the pics of what I used to carve him with.... which could explain away why it looks the way it does...lol

T

On 2009-08-12 08:18, Tiki Tack wrote:
Sweet!!! Thanks for that link AlohaS. Being a newbie it's great to see what everyone uses as tools. Working on my first little tiki and hope to have pics up soon.... I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh when I also post the pics of what I used to carve him with.... which could explain away why it looks the way it does...lol

Nope, no laughter here. I don't have that many tools myself and only one small gauge.

B

Excellent stuff here, Thanks Aloha for that great link onn the carving burs and devices, Great.
TikiKoa, As for finding carving wood it is something tou get used to doing Everywhere you go , Looking for wood everywhere. Look into local tree surgeons and trimmers, landscape companies, follow the "Asplund" trucks around, look for local carvers and also check the classified ads for smaller companies and individuals who offer thiose services. Soon you will be giving excess wood away. Welcome to TC too!

Aloha CarvErS.. I want to get a set of carving tools and was wondering about the shape of these... I have a set of three flat style one's like the post above that Lounge Lizard Is using,just looking to upgrade..
The shapes of these are more rounded,good for regular carving????... Thanks for answering my dumb questions...

Mahalo's

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2009-08-21 16:58 ]

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2009-08-23 01:28 ]

K
Kino posted on Sun, Aug 23, 2009 9:25 AM

On 2008-03-31 20:16, Benzart wrote:
The reason I bumped this up was to add these pictures later and Now IS Later.
These are sandingMops and gold stars from
Klingspoors sand paper company, Look for Double Sanding Mops http://www.woodworkingshop.com/001c/html/Catalog/Vol96PG_77-87.pdf These are expensive but worth 10 Times that when you start using them. They work so great you will wonder why I am sharing this time saving secret with you. Its because I want you to Quit all that hand sanding and get on to More Carving. I Know how it has saved Me tons of time! Besides I love you guys.
I have 5

Benzart,

I'm still doing some research while waiting for my carving space to get freed up. ( I'm letting a friend do some non-carving work there )

You suggested something similar to these for sanding on one of my threads.
Do they work well on palm carvings ?

Also , I am curious about the reciprocating power chisels.
Does this tool really work as good as my imagination wants to believe ?
And is it better for detail or can it be used for some medium scale roughing ?

Thanks in advance

[ Edited by: Kino 2009-08-23 09:44 ]

T

On 2009-08-21 16:57, beachbumz wrote:
Aloha CarvErS.. I want to get a set of carving tools and was wondering about the shape of these... I have a set of three flat style one's like the post above that Lounge Lizard Is using,just looking to upgrade..
The shapes of these are more rounded,good for regular carving????... Thanks for answering my dumb questions...

Beachbumz: yes I think those would be super useful. I have only one gouge and it's really great for finese carving but also for super fast wood removal. Maybe some of the other more veteran guys can comment, but I'd love to have these in my tool collection.

B

YES, those "Rounded" gouges are made for carving wood and those stes with the highly polished surface are a high quality tool. Many carvers start out with a few flat chisels and eventually get into greater detail and see the need for the true carving tools. YES, Get those if you can.

The Spindle mounted sanding mops. Great stuff...DON'T get the sanding stars for anything but Heavy sanding, little control and too rough. The "Mop's" with all the Fingers are Great!
Enco has them in smaller sizes , shank mounted and less expensive. DON'T get the flaap wheels they are too rough and ruin the surface. Great for metal but Not carving wood. HERE
is where you can see them in Enco's Awesome catalog, ask for one too.

Mahalo's TheBigT, Benzart, I saw thee on ebay, they were made by TwoCherries? needless to say I was outbid.. I'm going to keep my eye's open though..I'm going to buy a mallet first, my hammer works, but... I was thinking of the rubber type about 22 oz...

I wouldn't kill your shoulders and forearms with a 22oz mallet. An 18oz urethane mallet works pretty good for me, but I think 20oz is the more common.

Two Cherries - Zwei Kirschen brand made in Germany and some of the finest woodworking chisels money can buy.

GK

B

I bought the same one and had the Same results... Lots of noise but no sanding. It works better with the power turned OFF! This belongs in the SHAME pile.

On 2008-08-05 10:26, JohnnyP wrote:

On 2008-08-05 06:01, blindy the pirate wrote:
Anybody have this?

I bought it because the head is a 2" triangle, thinking it would be good getting into small places. But, I've had no luck with it. In fact, it did nothing to the wood I was working on. Wondering if I got a lemon or if this tool is destined to become a $40.00 paperweight.

We bought this to help with refinishing some cabinets and we had the exact same experience. A whole lot of noise, but not a bit of sanding. I should have taken it back.

I bought the Harbor Frieght version. It has its purposes - but its not something that I would say is required in your tool box. Works fantastic on tile and aggregate!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies