Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Please help us get rid of these rums?

Pages: 1 3 replies

We've picked up a bunch of rums in our hunt for our favorite drink... and now we've run out of shelf space. Yeah, I could build yet another shelf, but the bar is already out of control as it is. Part of the problem is that we have several rums we just don't much like, and they're taking up needed space for the new ones we've been bringing home. The ones we dislike are:

Trader Vic's Authentic Dark (we prefer Myers's)
Saint James Amber (we also have the extra old, but haven't cracked that bottle yet)
Appleton Estate (meh)
Whaler's (again, versus Myers's)

So, does anyone have any suggestions when making tropical drinks out of these? We're tempted to just dump the rest of each bottle into a punch and let our non-tiki friends suck it down (if it's strong enough, they'll like it). So here's the challenge. We'd like to use up the rums we aren't fond of, or even better, we'd like to be proven wrong, that we've just been making the wrong drinks with this stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or do these rums just pretty much suck?

:drink:Our favorites are Mt. Gay, Lemon Hart 80 proof (yummy! and we finally found it again after our friend blew through an entire bottle at a party), Cruzan (light & dark) Myers's, and Rhum Barbancourt. We have no trouble finding recipes for those.

[ Edited by: LAWebChick on 2004-08-20 23:12 ]

T

Sorry the best recipe I have is too

1. Take all bottles
  2. Place them in a box
  3. Mail them to me

See that makes it so much easier to do then trying to figure out good recipes to use to drink them now does it not. :wink:

J
JTD posted on Sat, Aug 21, 2004 8:19 PM

Web Chick,
I'd use the St James in a Mai Tai along with the Myers that you do like. I find the extra old St James a lot more flavorful than the amber, so I think you ought not give up on that one without trying it.

-JTD

are you interested in changing and enhancing the flavor by infusing them with fruit?

I like to infuse rums, vodkas and brandy with fruit: take a large iced tea pitcher, fill with a sweet and juicy fruit (pineapple works well with rum) and then pour your alcohol over it. let it sit for 2 weeks (no more, no less), then pour out the liquid through a cheesecloth back into the original bottle, and refrigerate.

guaranteed to take away 100% of all nasty flavors of the alcohol, and replace it with the fruitiness.

a combo of cantalope and honeydew with vodka is breathtaking - you can't taste the alcohol at all! Thus, don't waste your good alcohol but the cheap stuff, since the alcohol flavor is lost in the process.

These make nice gifts, too.

Pages: 1 3 replies