Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

T

Great choppers.... I am wiered when I carve.. I either do teeth first or I do on side at a time...

F

He's starting to take shape. Just the head dress, some clean-up, a lot of sanding, stain and poly to go.

Sorry about the crappy pics. I'm tired and that 3rd Rum Runner was a bit hard to get down. :drink:

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-07-07 21:02 ]

I'm digging that symmetry and those clean lines, finkdaddy.... Do I detect a little OCD in your work? :wink: He's looking great.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 1:38 AM

Cool eyes on that guy finky

B

Finky, he is looking great, even with the Maitai's. Nice clean lines as usual. tthis is looking like a Finky Trademark. Can't wait to see him done..

Only 8 hours til we arrive in Chicago! :D I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one wearing this...

See ya at Exotica!!

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-07-09 05:26 ]

Wow, nice fishy! Wish we could meet you there! Came out GREAT.

B

Looks prety good Finky, though I'm not sure with the dark pic's. I'm sure it is another typical perfect piece by FinkDaddy. Enjoy Exocita!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 9, 2005 4:00 AM

Cool shark on that one - Some lighter pics wouldn't go astray though dude :)

F

Thanks everyone, you always make me so happy! I fixed up all the pics. I thought this one needed to have a little extra bite since he seems so fond of making me bleed. No time to chat though, I'm out the door. I wish you all could be there!

ALOOOOOOOOOOOHA!!!!!

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-07-09 05:30 ]

You pulled off the shark excellently. Are you keeping this guy for yourself?

T

I think that I spotted that one. It was wearing a white hat, right? Oh, and I saw a Benzart (Brown Moai) waering a ball cap.

Thanks guys. I will eventually post all the pics of the fun we had as soon as I'm finished rehydrating myself! :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol:

Raffertiki... No, the shark tiki is going to Kirby in a trade for some art. This one is going to be hard to let go, he knows how to party! The next one I do will also be traded for art, only he will stay in Wisconsin at the Congatiki room. Some day I hope to keep one or two for myself!

TeaKey... Yep, and he can't dance worth a damn!! He and Benzart (mai in a brown cap, aka Hala Bullhiki) became best of friends. I wish I had met you!!! Next time. :D

B

hey DaddiFink, really Nice job on the shark tiki, Excellent. The picture fix really made a difference. Glad you and he met a benzart up there. Enjoy the party!

H

Lighter pics are a lot better. Cool dude. Have you kept anything for yourself?

FA

Very nice work! How long is the wait to get one of your wearable tiki?

[ Edited by: Fez Ape 2005-07-18 04:07 ]

nice work finkdaddy.keep up the good work.

Here is my mysterious island pier entry.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15396&forum=7&start=last&17

Aloha Fez Ape! It's hard to say how long of a wait there is, because it depends on what my crazy kids are involved with at the time. It could be days or it could be weeks (sorry Polynesian Pop, if you haven't received it yet it should be there any moment! :blush:) My list is not very long at all though, so it wont be too bad, I promise. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 7:59 PM

Cool artwork finky! Love your stuff as always

I was just playing with the camera lens settings. Not tiki at all, but still fun to make.

Cool stuff, finkdaddy - It has that vintage claymation look like in the old '50's science fiction movies. Keep up the fine work!

B

Definitely cool stuff like Sam says.
Be careful because this is what happens if you make the tiki gods angry..

Fink: very cool.... i'm imagining different storylines to go with the image..

You should have him clutching a Finkdaddy original.

Ooooooh!!! depth of field... [drools]

He musta done somethin' really bad to be marooned with no pistol. :D

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 4:58 AM

Awesome dude. How about turning that into a beach, with that tree a palm, and that mountain a volcano? Instant Tiki!

On 2005-07-22 04:58, hewey wrote:
Awesome dude. How about turning that into a beach, with that tree a palm, and that mountain a volcano? Instant Tiki!

How's this?

Mahalo everyone!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2005 5:03 AM

Now thats better. Don't let me catch you doing non-tiki art again!

Cool stuff dude :)

That's a great advancement- good idea adding more objects for the lens to work with depth-wise.. :)

I am the proud owner of Finkdaddy's "shark" tiki...and
I am happy happy happy! Fink's work is even more impressive
in real life than in the pictures...and his tikis look
spectacular in the pics! I would suggest that members
contact Finkdaddy and wait patiently until he gets to your
number...it will be worth the wait! Thank you Finkdaddy...
your kindness will soon be returned.

FA

Finkdaddy could you please add me to the list for a necklace, I have some mugs to trade if interested.

:blush: Wow, thanks Conga! Careful, he bites pretty good, so keep an eye on him! :lol: Teach him how to play the drums and make his Northwoods Mai Tais nice and strong!
Glad you like him. :D

Fez Ape, I would be happy to put you on the list. And we can definitely work out a trade. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Just playin around

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 9:16 PM

Cool man. Love to see a series of drink pics, thank you ery much.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 28, 2005 4:13 PM

hmmm loooks tasty, whats in it?

Almost ready for some poly on this guy. It's a bit hard to see the details in these pics, sorry. Thanks for lookin'! :D

On 2005-07-27 21:16, hewey wrote:
Cool man. Love to see a series of drink pics, thank you ery much.

This is one I did a few years ago. I just stumbled on it, so I thought I would share. :D

nice work finky...by the way...you'll see me wearing one
of your pendants in my "member photo" post pg 27 in
general tiki...had a lot of nice comments when the mensters
jammed for a recent luau. thanks again.

B

Hey Finky, it's about time you quit goofin around and showed us some more of your work. You are gonna forget how to carve if you don't do more of it more often. Nice pendants there son..

Lovin that tiki, finkdaddy. Great, neat work as always!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 9:55 PM

Hey Finkdaddy - good to see ya back into it. That new tiki is cool, and that is a way funky glass. I would love a glass like that.

More carvings!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2005 3:46 PM

Hey finkdaddy, I'm really liking your 3-d work. That martini glass is right up my alley. That, and your carving has gotten mighty fine. I thought you said he was well hung. Oh! It's a pendant. I get it now.

Aloha finkdaddy. I had to let you know I saw one of your pendants on Dr. Z last night. Your work is First Class. Very very nice.

Here is a new moai I just started working on today. It's a small block of bird's eye maple. It's rock hard, but it's a gorgeous piece of wood, the pic doesn't do it justice. I'm not going to use any stain on this one, I'm just going to sand the crap out of it and use some satin poly. I have the feeling my poor fingers are going to suffer a bit with this one. Now where are those bandages? :wink:

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-10-29 06:00 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 6:21 AM

Looking forward to it man. Still needs a bit of work before you go reaching for that sandpaper though... :) Great to see ya back into it.

B

He's got the makins of a Nice Moai if Finky will actually quit playin and do some carving on him.

He Really looks like a Keeper.

Looking good so far! :)

F

Here's progress on the moai and another I started today.

Mahalo :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies