Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

you are really rockin' with the pendants
Finkdaddy...I'm gonna have to get on your
list too....it's getting so I can't
keep track of all the tc members whose
stuff I want to add to my collection...
I will have a want list forever!

M

Sweet work Fink!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 25, 2005 7:32 AM

Those carvings are just gettin sweeter. Keep em comin

excellent carvings, Fink! man, with 4 kids, how do you get any time to carve?

Thanks again everybody.

Congatiki, Maybe we could trade a pendant for a cool monkey painting? :) Your bar looks terrific. We were thinking of going to visit my wife's dad in Antigo, so of course I'd like to see it in person!

McTiki, Thanks. I would never get anything done without all the encouragement I get from you guys!

Hewey, How does #1 like the weather? I hope you're showing him the sights and introducing him to the lady tikis. :wink:

Palama Tiki, It's really hard to find the time. I just get 5 minutes here and there a couple of times a week. Sometimes when the kids are sleeping or away, or sometimes durring a lunch break at work I'll get a bit of quiet time. Between the wife, kids, job, the house, and my basement construction project, I get very little time for carving. I just keep going a little at a time and rely on you folks who keep encouraging me to stay with it.

Here is a progress pic of #3

Mahalo everyone!!!

sounds like a fair trade to me...monkey
pic for one of the "hot hot hot" finkdaddy
pendants....we'll discuss it further....
also...if you get to Antigo you better
make a stop at the congatiki lounge...just
call ahead!

[ Edited by: congatiki on 2005-04-25 12:23 ]

T

You have alot of skill my boy....

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 26, 2005 9:35 PM

1 loves the warmer weather. He keeps quite and has a good poker face, but I see through his facade.

As for the lady tikis I think I am cramping his style. The fact he is hanging around inside a volkswagen probably doesnt help

Mate those new tikis look way cool. Even though I got my own I still get tiki envy every time you show pics of a newby

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey on 2005-04-26 21:37 ]

Finkdaddy, those are just incredibly good.

OOOH MAN! can this guy carve!!!!

fink, I am SOOOOO happy with this carving - he looks great...and soo smooth...mmmm...thanks a million.

YOur next one is looking great too. Expect great carvings from this guy!!!

Here's a pic of #2 hangin' wit a few rough and tumble homies at the local dive:

Holy Smokes, those are da bomb!

Thank you one and all for the kind words. It really means a lot to me, you have no idea.

Polynesiac, I feel so honored to see my guy hanging next to a Benzart and all those other great pieces! I'm glad you like him. Make sure you feed him some red meat once in a while and make his drinks stiff. Thank you, you've made my day!

Congatiki, Assuming you will be at Exotica, maybe we could do a trade at that time?

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-04-29 06:18 ]

T

Poly- Friday, Saturday, Sunday hanging around and Monday sitting down below look to be enjoying one another.

Fink- where did this talent come about. This is great, now I don't have to wait as long on the other "charm" carvers to show their pics.

Finkdaddy...Looks like I am gonna miss the
Exotica get together because of a prior
commitment...spinning tunes at a wedding...
but I have started planning the exclusive
Finkdaddy Monkey Pic that I think you will
like...working on it as we speak. It
will get into your hands before too long!

DAMN, Finkdaddy! Put me on the list before everybody else jumps on in front of me. I have a feeling you'll have a long list going very soon. What number am I?

A-A

Here is my latest. Just the clear coat to go. Thanks everyone for looking and being so supportive.

CongaTiki, I'm so sad to hear you can't make Exotica. :( I LOVE the monkey picture, I can't wait to hang it on my tiki bar wall! We'll get together soon to make the exchange.

Aaron's Akua, You're on the list! If everyone that has asked for one takes them in order, then I only have 3 to carve before yours. So you're scheduled to receive #7.

Big mahalo to everybody.
:) :) :) :) :)

B

Finky, I'm really So Impressed. You have come so far in such a short time. Your pieces are really Good. I think you are a natural. Just wait til you get some good tools. Man oh man...

C

Great work on the last one Finkdaddy....
you have definitely figgered out the
art of small detail...we will get together
soon

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 3, 2005 12:43 AM

I found Finkdaddy's inspiration for the tiki I got. Have a look at page 205 in the Book of Tiki, and compare it to the carving (page 5 of this thread).

Personally, I reckon Finkdaddy's is way cooler and has definitely improved upon the original. Then you consider that his fits into the palm of your hand, and has a heap more detail, compared to 5-6 foot carving. Yep, definitely way cooler.

F

One more peek before I ship him off to sunny California. I keep sending my guys off to places alot warmer than here. Maybe some day I will follow them.

Hewey, I know you wont believe me, but I didn't use that picture. I don't remember where I saw it exactly, but I found a carving by another TCer I liked, so I used that for inspiration. I can only assume that they used the BOT picture for their tiki!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 4, 2005 9:25 PM

I beleive ya, but only just :).

You should have seen how excited I was when I found that picture. I need to get out more...

H

Here is my finkdady carving after playing around in photo editor. Check the detail!

Hewey, that looks completely cool! It looks like a Flounder painting, or some weird, scary, black velvet painting.

T

WOW! That is great. What detail it shows...

Very fine work on that last one, finkdaddy - the grain in it kind of looks like polished tigereye.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-05-11 06:32 ]

Thank you Sam. I'm not sure why my wood does that, but it does have that tiger eye quality. Kind of changes in the light. Mahalo.

M

Tight lines. I like! Keep up the exquisite work !!!

Mahalos

Finally found a bit of time to carve this morning and I thought I'd show a progress pic of #4. This one is a bit larger than the last three. It's a piece of mohagany that Benzart was kind enough to send me. I love the way this wood carves. It's soft, but it still feels heavy in your hands. The grain makes it hard to see what I'm doing sometimes though.

Thank you Ben! :D

I can already tell that this is going to be your best one yet.

Oh no , Finkdaddy is starting to work on larger stuff. Next time he will be posting a 8 footer.

All kidding aside it already is looking great.

:lol: When I say larger, I just mean this one is about 5" instead of 3 1/2". I doubt I'll be doing 8 footers any time soon! :lol:
Thanks for the comments though, I'll show another progress pic tommorow.

I love it finkdaddy!
Looks so great so far, and I love that wood! It reminds me of palm, I guess because of the vertical lines.

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine

B

Looks like you are really tearing into this one Fink. He's looking great so far. I had an idea you would love the mahogany.HappyHappyHappy.

T

Looking good. Wow such detail...

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 13, 2005 6:30 AM

I love it! Just call it blind tiki :)

Cant wait to see it finished!

I was lucky enough to get one of these awesome pendants, FinkDaddy rocks!

Just posting a progress pic. I have almost no time to carve lately, but soon I'm changing from 2nd shift back to 1st which will free my schedule up quite a bit.

B

Lookin good. Nice progress pic's Finkdad. Love the mouth and eyes. Nose I can't see much yet and the headdress has me in suspense.
You gotta find more time to carve, you are really stretching us out here so hurry up already. haHaHo

T

you are making killer stuff. Look at the wood chips still laying there. Very animated face that has a traditional feel yet a step in the right direction from there. I love the fact that he has all that head weight on top of his open mouth. And the eyes are so crisp. They look like the flipped out like a transformers.

Fink: incredible work.. you just keep getting better!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 6:46 PM

I agree - you gotta get more time to carve! This looks like another masterpiece! Hows your bar coming along?

finkdaddy that one is really looking good...
this is kind of a stupid comment but lately
the work from everyone is really nice stuff...
posting at least one carving or painting
should be required on TC...cuz it's such a
rush to see things progress...at any level.

lookin real good, fink!

those eyes are mesmerizing!!! too cool, too cool!

Thanks again everybody. Time is very precious right now for sure. And last night the fridge went out, so I gotta deal with that today. I have a whole freezer full of meat I have to use now. Anyone hungry?

Seriously though, thank you very much. :)

Clean lines & perfect symmetry. Yes, you're working your way larger I see. Are you designing it as you go? There's no pencil lines laid down, so of course we're all in suspense. I have a feeling this will be your best yet!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Yeah, I'm making him up as I go. I usually try and do it that way, makes it more fun I think and less like work. He wont be all that big, a little under 5" when I'm done. I'm in suspense too. I spend way more time staring at it than I do carving it. I think it's because I'm way to critical of myself and I don't want to screw it up. I'm not real happy with the nose on this one, so I might shave it down and go deeper with it. Mahalo.

Just showing a couple of progress pics. I was working on this at work last night. Don't tell my boss. :wink: I want to do something cool with the rest of the head dress, but I'm making it up as I go, so we'll see what happens. Mahalo!

That is so cool, finkdaddy. That turtle is a great idea. I'd say that it looks great as is!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies