Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New "regular" drink

Pages: 1 11 replies

UT

While I have always enjoyed a good tiki drink, my main drink of choice has always been a Bombay Sapphire Martini. I decided, however, to try the Martiki in Entoxica, but instead of the recommended white PR or VI rum, I used white Rhum Barbancourt.

Holy cow! this is one tasty drink (enjoying one as I write this). I highly recommend this drink for anyone that likes martinis. It will be my new drink of choice.

P

Wow, I didn't know that there was a white Barbancourt. I have never seen it before. Where did you get it? I will definitely have to try this drink. I, too, am a great lover of Bambay Sapphire martinis and Ramos Gin Fizzes made with Sapphire. Now I want a Martiki with White Barbancourt. I'll have to get some Tiki Farm Martiki glasses for it.

UT

On 2004-09-07 13:03, PiPhiRho wrote:
Wow, I didn't know that there was a white Barbancourt. I have never seen it before. Where did you get it? I will definitely have to try this drink. I, too, am a great lover of Bambay Sapphire martinis and Ramos Gin Fizzes made with Sapphire. Now I want a Martiki with White Barbancourt. I'll have to get some Tiki Farm Martiki glasses for it.

I've been wandering around New York City checking out the selection of rums at all of the liquor stores and ran into it, so I had to try it. It is just soooo good (IMHO). The best thing is, it was $10.99 a bottle! I got it here:
http://www.67wine.com/

They don't show it on their web site, but you might try calling them to see if they'll ship it.

I was thinking the exact same thing- that I need to order those Martiki glasses, too. I also want to order some orange bitters (Fee Brothers makes them), since I can't find them in stores. It's really good with the orange peel, though.

While I'll never completely give up the Sapphire Martini, this has really become my favorite drink, though it's not as good with Bacardi white.

Made my first Martiki tonight...wow! This one's going to the top of my list. I used Cruzan light rum; will be curious to try other rums in it.

I was shocked- after being so devoted to gin martinis for so many years, I couldn't believe how much I liked it with rum. I was thinking of trying Cruzan myself, along with some others. Thank goodness, though, my local store got a new supply of white Rhum Barbancourt after I depleted all of their previous stock.

H

just when i thought I had everything now I have to get White Rhum Barban Court. Darn it, stop, no more space left in my bar.

I think I saw some white Rhum Barbancourt at Hi Times last weekend. Not 100% sure, though.

Ran

The White RB is my favorite white rum, now. According to The Complete Book of Rum, it is made with sugar cane juice instead of sugar molasses like most rums. I think that accounts for it's unique flavor. I believe it is the same stuff as the dark, eged Rhums, but bottled without barrel aging. Try it!

V

I use "havana club" cuban rum for this cocktail, and that is good.

DZ

I've had the white Barbancourt for some time now and contrary to most opinions here, I don't care for it much. I find it quite harsh, and I tend to only use it in drinks where it is well hidden. They do have it pretty cheap at Hi-Time, however, so it's not a big investment of $$ to find out.
Picking up stuff for Sabu's party last week I had an impulse buy of white Cohete "Guarana Rum" from Panama - anybody heard of/tried it? (I don't have high expectations for it, but it was new and on sale, so...)

P

To be honest, I find that white rum is pretty much white rum. Yes, some are better than others but the trick is to find one that is mild and smooth and doesn't have that turpentine and rubbing alcohol quality. Kaniche makes a nice white rum, but for most purposes bacardi will do and even some of the cheap supermarket white rums are just fine.

M

Try the Pyrat White. You won't be disappointed. Just found it for $13.99 last week as well.

As a backup to that, I try to use Myers's White when I can. I just think Bacardi is a little rough.

Pages: 1 11 replies