Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

hukilau - who's not going?

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

J

Instead of reading all the understandably giddy posts by those going to Hukilau...how about a topic for those of us who can't make the "Tiki Event of the Year!" Perhaps reading other's sad stories will lessen the pain of missing out on another great time! :cry:

I'll start...

Name: Johntiki

Excuse: My wife is 8 months pregnant with our second and final child and is due on October 10th. If things progress like they did with the first child she most likely will be in labor while the Mai Tai's are flowing at the Mai Kai!

Consolation: Uh...a wailing newborn? Unfortunately none for the forseeable future...

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-09-15 16:50 ]

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2004-09-15 19:14 ]

not responding to your topic, but just wishing the best to your wife and you johntiki!!!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:03 ]

V

Name: Virani le Beachcomber

Excuse: $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Excuse: Work is sending me to Palm Springs that weekend. (why can't they send me there on Mother's day?)

but I will be there in spirits!

excuse: I will be in London.

consolation prize: I will be at Trader Vics

Must be a nice job, DG.

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-09-15 16:30 ]

TB

Name: Tiki Bird

Excuse: Going to wedding of good friends, & couldnt talk them out of it!

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-09-15 16:41 ]

MC

Name: Manic Cat
Excuse: My kane Shalom Aloha celebrates Yom Kippur (and there's no drinking, eating, celebrating!); graduate school; Kane's work; $$
Next year in Fort Lauderdale!

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2004-09-17 10:31 ]

Name: Virani le Beachcomber

Excuse: $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Second that.

Name: SON OF MOTHRA

Excuse: See above

Name: Cynful

Excuses: Moving (ugh!)

Consolation Prize: sailing (likely); attending Giants' last home game of the season (vs. the dastardly Dodgers).

Name: TikiTimbo

Excuse: My wife is 7 months pregnant with our first child and is due on November 10th! She didn't think she could handle all the traveling at this point - our consolation...a week in Catalina Island over my birthday, end of this month. Plus we got to go last year so we are content for now with our memories. See you there, 2005!!!

A

Excuse: Rockaround!!

Deepest regrets: Still not having visited the Mai Kai, and missing Billy Mure (he's playing for the Hukilau, right?)

Consolation: Fortune & Maltese, the Monks, the Orangutones, ...

-Randy

D

Shoot-we'd love to come,but our daughter is Ten and in school,my husband has too many events at his hotel,and we're planning on paying off my car this month-everyone,have a fabulous time,and congrats to those with little one on the way!!!

I'll be on vacation in Hawaii for Aloha Festival, Oahu.

T

On 2004-09-15 18:42, aquarj wrote:
Excuse: Rockaround!!

Deepest regrets: Still not having visited the Mai Kai, and missing Billy Mure (he's playing for the Hukilau, right?)

Consolation: Fortune & Maltese, the Monks, the Orangutones, ...

-Randy

Me too. I've been to the Mai Kai several times in 2 trips to Florida, but I still will regret not visiting it again, and not meeting all the TC folks who are going, old friends and new. But I have a feeling that I'll have so much fun at the Rockaround that I won't think about it too much!

Name: Tiki Chris

Excuse: Quadruple Whammy! Wife's relatives from Italy visited for two weeks. This was during the same time that some good friends from London stayed w/ us. & then last week, my mom came to visit. Also, gotta fly down to my niece's wedding in Georgia next month.

Consolation: MINI-LAU at my house next week! Also, Emi & I are saving up for 3 weeks in New Zealand after Christmas!

excuse:too far, too much money...
But the good news is i wil be having my own tiki party.

catch a spliff!

Ok,

Just to let everyone know, first of all, Billy Mure is definitely playing, I talked with him today about his all Hawaiian set and yes, he's playing Pink Hawaii. He's invited other musicians onstage to perform Hawaiian War Chant with him!!

The other - there will always be a Hukilau as long as there are ohana willing to make it. It's a part of me and a part of my life.

T

On 2004-09-15 21:02, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Ok...................there will always be a Hukilau as long as there are ohana willing to make it. It's a part of me and a part of my life.

TK, as this is going to be my first true tiki event and I know one to remember I hope to see it be around for many many hula moons. So for saying that, MAHALO MAHALO MAHALO!!

TK, as this is going to be my first true tiki event and I know one to remember I hope to see it be around for many many hula moons. So for saying that, MAHALO MAHALO MAHALO!!

Wait, wasn't this thread for us poor folk trying to avoid the giddy people? :wink:

Name: LAWebChick
Excuse: $$$$, plus I'm starting a new job

Consolation: We have the Durukuli Lounge, so we'll raise a toast. Plus with a little bit of planning, the new job should pay for us next year... unless we choose to finally get MonkeyBoy to Hawaii.

MB

Awhhhhh, come on. Excuse: $$$$$$$
For those of you lucky enough (btw....Lucky, you in??) travel JetBlue for 89.00 out 119.00 back. Seats still available.
And, Thank you for flying JetBlue.
Buh-bye, thank you - buh-bye - yes, sir, that's your bag - buh-bye - thank you - buh-bye and (oooooooooh, the unexpected...........ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Welcome to HUKILAU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

PS We know of some really nice trees to sleep under, AND, you can steal Crazy Al's cocktail super easy! Yup, he's so busy, just grab it! Ben's drink? Nah, I wouldn't if I were me!
HUKILAU!!!!!!!!!!

H

Name Hiltiki...Location beautiful Reseda, Calif.....(maybe)....I am not going because I just went to New York and spend a fortune...

Name: Futura Grrrl
Excuse: Waited too long to get the cheap airfares at a convenient time, plus am completely OVERtaxed with preparations for Mondo Lounge! so I am heading to Rockaround instead... See you there Aqua & Naomi and Jab... Mig is going, too!

Anyone need a place to crash in Vegas that weekend?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:49 ]

Financial funds hit hard this year.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-09-16 11:59 ]

Can't go...saving money and no vacation time left.

Plus side.....Money and 5 weeks in Hawaii at the end of the year

J

On 2004-09-15 21:02, tiki_kiliki wrote:
The other - there will always be a Hukilau as long as there are ohana willing to make it.

So what you're saying is there's always next year? :) That's what I like to hear! Hukilau 2005 - I'm in!

My excuse: Too many bills, too many kids, too little time, and too little money.

Hopefully next year...

T

*On 2004-09-16 01:23, Futura Girl wrote:*so I am heading to Rockaround instead... See you there Aqua & Naomi and Jab... Mig is going, too!

Yes! Is anyone going to be there Thursday night? We arrive at 10:30PM, so we'll be ready to hit the town about 11:30. We're at the Gold Coast. If the music schedule permits I would like to dine at the Golden Steer and perhaps Battista's Hole in the Wall sometime.

T

excuse-too poor, no vacation time(have to save it for christmas in texas), scared of hurricanes.

Name: Freddie Freelance

Excuse(s): My boss is in Hawaii that week & the next and I gotta run things around here. Plus I need to save vacation time for "Winter Break," my car's being really expensive right now and my rent's going up next month (second time in a year), I'm up for a new position at work that requires extra training on my part, and that weekend's our turn to have our Gran'Daughter.

Consolation(s): the 21st is my 40th Birthday, so I'm going to Bali Hai for dinner this weekend & King's Hawaiian Bakery for Breakfast next weekend, and I'm going to try to fit in a trip to the Bahooka, too. Plus, I'm spending the "Winter Break" on my lil' piece o' land in San Filipe, Baja, if I get that new position my salary'll almost double, and my Gran'Daughter is the light of my life.

S

I am sorry, but money is not a good excuse. It is an excuse, but hey, it's been a year in the making. You should have been saving all this time!

I understand though. I can't afford to go myself!

Excuse :

1. Poor Planning
  2. No money, due to poor planning

We'll start planning for next year early.

vw

K

No excuses...just sad to miss Billy Mure! :(

I understand the financial and timing thing. There are still good fares besides JetBlue. I was not sure I could get away until a few days ago, then booked with American Airlines out of LAX for 196.00 round trip including all taxes and fees!

M

Name: MachTiki

Excuse: Money & my band was already booked for that weekend (oh hell, we're booked almost every weekend). BUT, I am NOT missing the Oasis.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-09-17 17:13 ]

Last time I was in FLA, hurricane Andrew had to show up too. I figure I'm acting as an anti-hurricane counter-balance by staying on the west coast.
I'll be here applying earthquake wax to all breakable stuff.

NAME: Shipwreck Joey

EXCUSE: WORK, WORK, WORK...I got ships to build fer cris sakes! Don't ya know there's a war on?

Excuse: Major work deadline at the end of the month...I'll be sweatin' and figgitin' and drinkin' coffee like mad in my sterile gray government issue cubical. I'll be thinking of everyone at Hukilau and keeping my fingers crossed for good weather in Florida and everyone's safe return home.

Consolation: Celebrating the end of my major deadline with a couple of friends and ice cold mojitos on the lakeshore.

My wonderful wife for 3 months said "just go, be with your friends" almost everyday.
I keep saying "no" we have done too much stuff already, spent too much money, work is going crazy!
(trying to land a house that will cost 12 million just to build)
So finally I break and get on Jet Blue to get my flight(just a week ago) and she says "hey, what's that date again"
Blah blah
"Oh sorry, that's my Sister's wedding"
At least I get to spend the day with my Sister-in-law who has always been mean to me and her future Husband who I can't seem to say more than two words to.
All in all going anywhere with my Wife and kids is better than going anywhere without.
So there, not so sad after all.
Have fun everybody!

Name: Urban Tiki

Excuse: I recently joined TC and just heard about it. Not enough time to arrange things at work, etc. Will definitely be there next year!

Consolation: Thank the gods I found TC- My world of tiki is expanding rapidly thanks to TC and all the good folks here.

D

Name: DawnTiki

Excuse: I'm a flake

Consolation: Sadly my arrest record will still be squeaky clean...my appologies to my partner in crime, I sure was looking forward to that water taxi excursion :P

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-09-17 13:44 ]

S
SES posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 5:29 PM

WAAAH! :(

I want to be there... I have to stay here because I'm so swamped with work. I'm self-employed with no employees. Been slaving away on Christmas orders since the beginning of July. I might finish them in time for next years party at this rate.

Name:

The "Big Kahuna"

Excuse:

I have to work the store while the Boo's are away at Hukilau.

Consolation:

I think I will have a 50% off sale on Art, Furniture and Tiki Bars, Hukilau weekend. 9/25 and 9/26, for those locals who can't attend.

Come on in and introduce yourself. If you're ever in Waikiki, I hang at the banyan tree in front of the Sheraton. We are the tree people!

Dictation by Bamboo Ben. Voice by the "Big Kahuna."

Ain't goin'. Gotta run the office while SCD's away & savin' my dough for my forthcoming wedding in November in Maui. I'm bummed that I can't make it.
Mahaloz,
Holden

Name: kick_the_reverb

Excuse: Had to travel here to get my parents' firm pass an ISO 9000 QA audit. Which is, incidentaly, tomorrow. It means that theoreticaly I could have made it (as a stop-over on my way home), but there were no flights. Oh - also, financial difficulties.

Consolation: Seeing my family and friends, getting to play a gig with my old band.
Maybe next year?

Ran

S

Name: Sweetpea

Excuse: 17th annual Rockabilly ball, always the last weekend in September. Bands and visitors from all over. Gotta house and feed random cool rockabilly folks...

Consolation: 3 nights of rockin tunes from some Super Rockabilly Bands, many frosty malt beverages, and tons of dancin'.

Y'all have fun.

M

Name: Makoto

Excuse: Gigs booked on the 24th and 25th. Actually taking a day off of my "real" job to do them.

Consolation: I'm heading to Chicago for the weekend of 10/9, then down to Atlanta the very next weekend. Two consecutive Trader Vic's, with Hala Kahiki hopefully thrown into the mix. Huzzah!

Pages: 1 2 51 replies