Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki plants??? need Help!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

I hope this post is not a repeat! But, I am seeking assistance in decorating my yard and installing "flora" and other plants to recreate the tropical flava around the soon to be finished Tiki Bar. What types of plants are usually used and what types give that real tropical feel? I already have lots of palms but need more ideas and help. I have lots of room and planting, potting possiblities are endless. Oh yea, I live in Los Angeles if that helps!

Mahalo! for your time!!

Ka Maka Koa Tiki

Hey there ka maka koa tiki;

I've been mulling over this for quite a while now too.

Firstly you are lucky to live in LA, as it's a splendid place to grow almost anything. It's not actually tropical, so not everything you see in films and visits to Hawaii will grow...but it's close.

In the Western Garden book's latest editions (and they keep a copy at home depot) a section on plants that look tropical but are not.

Depending on what effects you wish for and the details of that will dictate what you will choose.

Things like Bamboo make a immediate tropical look, as do flowering Bananas. Both are hearty, grow fast and give a real atmosphere.

Fern trees also get big, and have a wonderful almost prehistoric look to them (Both Austrailain and Tasmaniain)

If you want to get kooky with larger TREES...some interesting choices might be Norfolk Pine, which is a feathery beautiful soft tree (but not really a pine) also the exotic Banyabanya or Monkey Puzzle, and Silk Tree will be great conversation pieces.

The shrubbery kind of needs to be decided by amounts of sun it will be getting.

Rubber Plants, and Fiddle Leaf ficus are wonderful for filtered sun.

There are several types of ferns and elepahnt ears too which make the place look jungley.

Of the flowers, the textbook ones for tropics are Bouganvilla (named for the French discoverer of Tahiti) Hibiscus, and plumeria...all which do well where you live.

Other hearty plants can include Trumpet and Royal Trumpet, mandivilla vines, jade plants... Ginko trees, Paw Paws, Guava's even Citrus can give a wonderful feel.

The San Diego Zoo has a ton of interesting plants worth taking notice of...I'm sure there are botanical gardens near where you live too.

It's interesting to note that Louis the 14th kept people in his employ that kept Oranges for him...like exotic pets for guests to see.

Trees that fruit will attract...Birds, bugs, racoons, and possibly the State Ag dept. If you are doing anything in your yard you shouldn't. don't give any Gov't agency reason to stop by and have a look.

Take some long walks in your neighborhood, and see what's growing that you like. If you don't know what it is, take a photo or ask for a leaf.

I hope this helps

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-09-21 14:34 ]

Gigantalope - way to bring it!

I would just emphasize the following:

a.plumerias!!!
b.tropicana lilies
c.bromilliades
d.red bananas
e.hibiscus

The bigger question is: how much sun? Certain flowers, like Hibiscus, won't do as well in the shade.

If you do have more shade, go with green foliage, and leave color to bromilliades and annuals.

I don't know what neck of the woods you live, but these are my favorite nurseries:

the Jungle on Washington, just east of Robertson, near the historic (& restored) Culver hotel & bar. Great indoor & outdoor, sun & shade collection.

Marina Del Rey nursery, off the 90. Very expansive and close to the ocean.

The tropical nursery on Fairfax, just north of Melrose. Overpriced, but interesting selections.

Mr. Lee on LaBrea, just north of Fountain - cost effective.

If you are anywhere South, CStars of the Century Fwy (150?)in Gardena or Compton is a large nursery with excellent prices.

Also, for large green plants, check home depo.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-09-21 20:51 ]

This link has incredible pictures for total inspiration: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6815&forum=1

A little more regarding the specific type of plumerias:

Apparently Samoan Fluff does really well in colder climates and many people love the scent.

Aztec seems to do very well in warm and humid environments.

Celedine is considered easy to grow and a good bloomer.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/plumeria/

Ka maka koa tiki
Coincidently I'm tikifying my own spacious 15x20 "yard" at my townhome. I'm using some bamboo palms, giant birds, tupidanthus tree, schefflera, a queen palm in a large pot, red bananas, pygmy palm, philodendron, white/yellow flower plumeria tree and some of those papyrus plants.
See if you can find a copy of the June 2004 issue of Sunset magazine. It has a featured article and cover on tropical backyard retreats. I also bought a Sunset book at Home depot titled "landscaping with Tropical plants"
Aloha

[i]On 2004-09-21 22:11, Tiki Rider wrote:

See if you can find a copy of the June 2004 issue of Sunset magazine.

Tiki Rider, sounds like you have the Garden of Eden!

Here is a link to that Sunset magazine article http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9061&forum=1

I also would recommend the night blooming cerius. The blossom has a fragrance which is second to none, and, most interesting, it only blooms at night (alas the name).

It is easy to grow from a cutting.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4876&forum=6

MG

Hi, When I bought my house in San Diego (UTC area) a little over 3 years ago, we ripped out everything. We didn't have one tree any where so I planted bananas that grow to thier full height in about 12-14 months. I also have lots of Ti plants, 6 or 7 kinds of ginger, 7 kinds of plumeria and a bunch of other stuff. Here's some pics of my yard. http://www.fallingcocos.com/juofmege.html

If anyone ever needs bananas or ginger let me know.

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-24 08:47 ]

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-24 09:56 ]

thanks so much for the info. Great pictures also!!

Mean Gene:

You have recreated the Garden of Eden!

What is the secret to make the plumerias blossom?

MG

On 2004-09-27 19:47, christiki295 wrote:

What is the secret to make the plumerias blossom?

All I know is that they grow much faster in the ground and they like a much sun and heat as they can get. I flaked out on fertalizing stuff this year. I'm sure that would have helped. I think the ones in the ground did bloom more than the ones in pots.

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-10-07 21:16 ]

Something else to think about is plot size & backing. If you're trying to cover a cinderblock wall, try training Jasmine & Giant Honeysuckle up it. In a smaller space you want taller plants that don't give a lot of shade in the back, Bamboo in planters or Giant Birds of Paradise for example, and then shorter, more colorful plants in front of them, like Bromiliads, Ginger & Heliconias.

Has anyone heard of "pikake" do not know if I spelled it right.

I live in the UK (not a very hot clime) and am looking for some exotic indoor plants to brighten up my room, inside or on the window sill, any ideas?

I recently picked up a few nice looking Bromeliads, a small Dragon Tree (Dracaena), a Dwarf palm and a Madagascar Jasmine (Stephanotis).

I don't have much plant experince so hopefully need something easy to care for or else some good care instructions :)

many thanks

I use small palms, bromilliades and ferns. Not expensive and give a nice tropical feel. Bamboo is also nice but if you have pets don't get yellow bamboo as it can be poisonous.

Good job finding/bumping this one blue.octopus (edit: credited wrong member)

It just so happens that Ive been ferreting away piccies of 'Pungas' (native tree-ferns) for a future expose' that I was going to post in 'Tamas New Workshop' thread, but this looks like a better spot..

Coming soon:

Tama

[ Edited by: tamapoutini 2008-06-02 22:10 ]

That makes sense....now..lol. I think it was Blue octopus that bumped that one. Thanks for the info. Any type of fern you use the most? We had two Australian ferns that looked primeval and really good next to a tiki with a small palm just behind it. Take care and happy carving!

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2008-06-03 00:12 ]

Armstrong Nursery has bromeliad plants growing in lava rock for sale. Not cheap at $24.99, since they're kind of small, but cool nonetheless. They're labeled as Hawaiian Volcano Plants. You're supposed to keep them in a saucer of water so I plan on putting mine in a scorpion bowl.

Please excuse the ugly work bookcase.

I promise it looks better than the picture portrays. That looks like cow dung.

Pages: 1 18 replies