Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2004: Discuss!

Pages: 1 2 3 100 replies

Hi all! I'm new here, but I went to Hukilau last year and this one and had the best time. What a great group of people to spend time with! I also bought some great new items.

The hurricane ruined going to Mai-Kai Saturday night, which I was really looking forward to, but Friday night rocked.

My pal, TikiStacy posted pictures here.

-Chandra

:drink:

To those who couldn't make it -or had to leave early to get home or take care of their home becuase of their hurricane, I feel (for what it's worth) that you made the right decision. I do want to add, though, that you were missed and I look forward to seeing you next year. Best wishes, Bruce Smiley :)

[i]On 2004-09-25 00:13, smogbreather wroteGimme an earthquake anytime...!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Holden, your wish is my command!! I just heard the Atascadero / Paso Robles area just got TWo 6.0 quakes in a row!!! How are the Muntiki folks??

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-28 12:41 ]

M

On 2004-09-27 15:02, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Tiki Kiliki and MrSmiley for the food when we learned there was no where to get pizza at 1am.

you are welcome!!! I did find out about a BBQ place at SE 17th and Hwy 1 that is open until 3 am!!!! Next year, ok? :)

M

On 2004-09-28 08:14, Jungle Trader wrote:
WOW.
We survived a Hurricane. Who's going to make a shirt?

WE need TWO shirts; for men: "I Got Blown AND LEI'd at the Mai-Kai" and women: "I Got Wet And Lei'd at the Mai-Kai"!!

CA

I was lucky enough to have had a flight out(made it with a nice buzz on) already planed for very early sat morning... or was I.. I knew that I would be missing the show of a life time at the Mai Kai. Dang... glad all went well with out a miss hap to valued friends. Praise be! I was to check into the Storm Victims Show via BambooPhone but was denied by the hills and canyons of lovely dry Marin, N.Cal.

A great show by APE with another tiki being bone to the world on the west cost - Mai Kai mystery dances to gale force winds on the east cost... a night mysterious wonder.....

Great to party with you all again, and meet the new faces, thanks to my foster parents the Boo's for putting me up, and Swanky and Kiliki for letting me sit in with the tiki artist brethren, and Pablus for feeding me, BenzArt for the inspiration, the ladies for keeping the dance floor open....

next year.. Hurricane season sounds fun again!

I

I'm becoming addicted to this certain kind of feeling that comes around at Hukilau and other events - you fly into a city far from home, check into some strange hotel, and decide to check out a nearby bar -- and then you see some familiar faces walking towards you - the faces of people you have met at past events. This was my third straight Hukilau, and it is always great to meet old friends again, as well as be introduced to a few new friends too.

The weather for Thursday's boat ride was incredible - and we should all be fortunate that the best weather occured for the main outdoor event. A real highlight for me that evening was being able to meet and talk with Billy Mure - a few years ago I did a zine that featured old vinyl records, and in one of those articles I wrote about Billy. So many of the artists from that era have passed away, so it was a real treasure to see those two having such a good time. I bought three of my Billy Mure LPs along with me for Billy to sign, and these will be treasured items.

I was dazzled with the number of vendors at the tiki bazaar, and I'm sure that if the hurricane hadn't shut things down early, that I would be making several trips to the ATM machine. It is always nice to be able to buy some music CDs, and get them autographed by the musicians who were present. I ended up buying only a few mugs, and with all of the activity of evacuations and flying back home, I'm pleased to say that all of them arrived home intact.

My options for the evacuation were a bit limited, as I had no family nearby to retreat to. Fortunately, Surburban Hipster had the presence to call Saturday morning and locate and reserve a rental car, and within a few hours we were able to locate a place called the Plantation Motel, whose only redeeming grace was that it had some Mai Kai brochures located in the lobby. It was the type of motel where all the unsavory Tom Waits characters will likely hang out when they arrive in Fort Lauderdale. Remote Controls with dead batteries, dresser drawers missing their bottoms, cracked telephones, tables with a layer of listerine that the maid had forgotten to wipe up, TV sets turning on in the middle of the night, the condom machine located near the payphones ..... it was as sleazy as the Mai Kai is classy. Wouldn't you know that we later discovered that other Tiki Centralites had ended up spending the night there too, hunkered under the covers, afraid to reach out and touch anything, as they waited out the storm.

In my own little way, I think this motel helped contribute to my overall experience ... when we later visited the Mai Kai, it just seemed even more wonderful .... a true oasis appearing when it was needed the most.

The highlight of the trip for me was going to the Mai Kai for three straight days - with each day having its own set of charms. I believe I discovered a new favorite drink there - the Jet Pilot - and I was pleased to see old drink menus being sold in the gift shop. I met some new folks from the DC area I had never met before, so it looks as if the circle of Hukilau and related friends will continue to grow.

If I didn't meet you or talk to you -- my apologies. Chances are that even if I did speak with you, that the moment did not last nearly long enough. I have a tendency to sometimes linger in the background, just soaking in the total atmosphere ... and I'm pleased that so many of you were able to add your own presence to the Hukilau atmosphere.

Vern

Despite all of this Hurricane nonsense, we were soooo glad we have the nerve to go to the Maikai for the Sat. nite party!!! What an unforgettable evening... The Tiki Ohana is sooo great! We can't wait for next year's festivities. Please do not get scared of hurricanes or Florida. This really never happens. Thanks Kaliki, Swanky, & Mai Kai...

B

We spoke with Benzart and Sherry last night. They are still without power, but have made it through the hurricane safely and are now picking up the pieces. Hopefully they will get their electricity back soon and can catch up on Tiki Central.

T

On 2004-09-28 21:46, ikitnrev wrote:
The plantation Inn . . . TV sets turning on in the middle of the night, the condom machine located near the payphones ..... it was as sleazy as the Mai Kai is classy. Wouldn't you know that we later discovered that other Tiki Centralites had ended up spending the night there too, hunkered under the covers, afraid to reach out and touch anything, as they waited out the storm.

Vern

Vern, you really have a way with words! I bugged out and graciously (???) gave my suite at the Plantation to Jeff and Deb Chenault (and believe it or not, they are STILL talking to me!)

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2004-09-29 15:50 ]

S

Amazing. Thursday went off pretty much as planned, but after that, it was not what we had planned. That was a shadow of the Hukilau we were planning. And the tension for me from Friday on was tremendous. I didn't know if anyone had a good time really. But it seems that you did.

Does anyone recall the lady's name who danced "Lovely Hula Hands" at the Mai Kai? I found out from her son that the song was written for her!

I got home today and am glad to be back. I've had all the Hukilau I can take, but it's not enough. I feel like we were ripped off. Half the event we wanted. I hope there aren't too many regrets. It pains me to think of all the difficulties. I hate that we went from over 700 dinner reservations on Saturday to maybe 120.

I came back up A1A a bit yesterday and it was wasted. Most of the interstate and other road signs were gone. Almost all signs of any type were gone. Tress broken, power poles down, trees with every leaf ripped off. We were lucky in Lauderdale to just have a little wind and rain.

I guess it comes down to the fact that the TC ohana enjoys each others company. That makes it.

Relax Swanky. Everyone I have talked to had a great time. All the threads I have read are the same.

Just think this event will never be forgotten. Never!!!

Hey you remember that time we went to Hukilau and a hurricane hit, we were kicked out of our hotel, nearly spent the night at the Mai Kai.

I didn't even make it to the Mai Kai Saturday and still had more fun than I have in a long time.

Relax, brutha!

Swanky, it's true, it will be a few nights never to be forgotten. The Hurricane really scared the *^%# out of me. As we were driving around in the mini-van trying to find a room, I visualized all 5 of us sleeping in it, and then being blown away into never never land. Category 4 bearing down on us. I swear I think we were extremely lucky the center of Jeanne went just north of us with 110 mph winds. Yes, I hope those who bore the brunt recover quickly. I haven't heard of anyone in Fla. losing their life (missing surfer?) but I did hear of a few in another state that died as it changed from hurricane to tropical storm. My heart goes out to all of them.
We joked that if we died in the Mai Kai, at least we would go down as legends. It was a legendary night just the same.
Oh yeah I want to thank Al for telling me the story of Hurricane Camille the night before. I hate scary stories, don't ever tell me a scary story again. I mean just look at my baby picture man.......I freak.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-30 22:02 ]

T

I'll never forget that weekend! First time since highschool that i had alcohol...... it all makes sense now.

On 2004-09-28 11:42, mrsmiley wrote:

[i]On 2004-09-25 00:13, smogbreather wroteGimme an earthquake anytime...!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Holden, your wish is my command!! I just heard the Atascadero / Paso Robles area just got TWo 6.0 quakes in a row!!! How are the Muntiki folks??

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-28 12:41 ]

So funny I forgot to laugh! I survived (escaped) the hurricane and came home in time for the quake(s)! Whoo hoo! Do I win a prize? Now I have even more cracks in my driveway, but no broken mugs... the miracle of earthquake putty!

On 2004-09-29 22:53, Jungle Trader wrote:
I haven't heard of anyone in Fla. losing their life (missing surfer?) but I did hear of a few in another state that died as it changed from hurricane to tropical storm.

There have been over 70 people killed in Florida from the 4 storms combined.

Only six during Jeanne.

2 of these deaths from Jeanne were in Brevard county (my county) where the eye of the storm hit.

Brevard county, land of the redneck! Check out the way these 2 died.

I can almost guarantee you the second one had some alcohol involed as well.

Original Art by
Scott "Flounder" Scheidly

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-09-30 02:51 ]

M

On 2004-09-29 20:47, Swanky wrote:

Does anyone recall the lady's name who danced "Lovely Hula Hands" at the Mai Kai? I found out from her son that the song was written for her!

Wow! Is this true? That's incredible.

Swanky, you should definitely not worry about the event. It was superb. Outside of the low turnout at the Mai Kai, everything went off without a hitch..at least as far as an attendee could see.

I had a fantastic time, as did Rebecca. It provided her a much need needed break from the current horrors of grad school. We were very fortunate that our flights were completely untroubled, and we were able to participate in everything. Thanks of course to Swanky and Tiki Kiliki for everything. Thanks also to Pablus for the superb mixology and rum & falernum tastings. It's true: I think we have some kind of Spidey Rum Sense- I just appeared at your door when you started pouring. Thanks to Alnshely for all of the superb hospitality, as always. And a great pleasure to meet so many folks for the first time. New favorite Mai Kai drink: Black Magic!

The one thing that did suck big time, was the unbridled horrors of the Budget Inn. As everyone has said, it was hell finding a place on Saturday, so we ended up at this abominable shithole near the Mai Kai. Our room smelled so vile I gagged, and went with Humu down the street to Walgreens to buy Febreeze, Lysol, some other disinfectant, candles, a urinal cake, and flip flops to wear in the shower. Fortunately, Humu's good humor about the situation kept me from dwelling too much on the mysterious furniture stains or the cigarette burn holes all over the sheets. The combined disinfectant and aromas of the above products could not make a dent in the nightmare. I wore clothes to bed and woke up with a start any time the revolting comforter touched my face. (Yeah, I'm a weenie if you haven't figured it out by now). I took back every terrible thing I said about the Cabana and started to miss it's musty damp carpet. I went to our dry cleaners yesterday with my Sandwich Isles jacket and Rebecca's dress, and the woman behind the counter lept back when she opened the bag. "Oh my god..smells so bad!" were her exact words. "Do what you have to do" was my response. All of our other aloha and such was aired out back on our patio with a maksehift clothesline, so we looked like the colorful hobos of the neighborhood.

Anyway, despite the length of that vent, the good FAR outweighed the bad. Mahalo all! Until next year!

mauruuru !!!

What a memorable night!! Thanks again Tiki Bob for letting us have your wonderful room at the Plantation Inn. "Laughing!!" I was actually more scared of the room than I was of hurricane Jeanne. I am glad you made it back to Charlotte as well. It was so funny meeting other people at the Mai Kai on Sunday night who had the same horrifying experience of staying in the same hotel. It would have made it a little more bearable knowing other Tiki Central people were there. We were probably all too scared to move. All ended well though and Sunday night was great!! Can't wait to see everyone again next year!

Jeff

On 2004-09-29 15:48, tikibob wrote:

On 2004-09-28 21:46, ikitnrev wrote:
The plantation Inn . . . TV sets turning on in the middle of the night, the condom machine located near the payphones ..... it was as sleazy as the Mai Kai is classy. Wouldn't you know that we later discovered that other Tiki Centralites had ended up spending the night there too, hunkered under the covers, afraid to reach out and touch anything, as they waited out the storm.

Vern

Vern, you really have a way with words! I bugged out and graciously (???) gave my suite at the Plantation to Jeff and Deb Chenault (and believe it or not, they are STILL talking to me!)

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2004-09-29 15:50 ]

Forgot to mention some special mahalos...
Danny for the great shirt... thanks bruddah, I wore it yesterday to the skatepark and everyone loved it... me too.

Pop for the moai trade... your art is great, didn't realize you did stuff like this... your piece is hanging in my tiki room...

Tiki Tony for the trade for the tiki necklaces... they kick ass and you are a talented artist Tony... someday we'll have to surf some waves together...

Ben for the conch horn, it provided Pop, Danny, Toa and I with hours of entertainment Friday night and I will use it at every surf session here!

Thanks again to everyone who made purchases and allowed me to pay rent this month! I hope you truely enjoy your Lake Tikis!

M

First and foremost our thanks to Swanky and TikiKiliki for the wonderful organisation of the hukilau. Our respect to their strong nerves. Well done. We captured a lot of exciting moments for the DVD of Tiki. What a coincedence of an extraordinaire place, time, people and situation!

The tiki bar is open. Under all conditions. This will make a lasting memory
:tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki:

We would like you to meet a special creature we met at the Shipwreck bar:

:tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki:

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:24 ]

Hey Swanky,

I looked around on the internet and found this:
on this web site Robert Alexander Anderson the 'Pied Piper of Hawaii' Sure looks like a younger version of the lady who was on the stage at our event!

There is some conficting information on the net as well though. On the IMDB site it states that Aggie died in 1983. So maybe that wasn't her name. Anyone else have more info?

Ooh, Mogambo, is that last shot of one of the famous Weeki Watchee Mermen?

Can't wait to get ahold of that DVD! Great meeting you, and thanks for all your hard work documenting the event.

Swanky, RELAX! I know I had a BALL! I got to see almost everyone I wanted to see there, and I went to the Mai Kai! Everything else was gravy, and what a tasty gravy it was! Great show Friday night, tons of uber-cool goodies purchased, and I got to see the Mai Kai! Hell, I even got to dance onstage and sing in the back bar at the Mai Kai! (I can die now.), and party at the home of one of the owners! And now I can claim I was evacuated out of a tiki event, along with all my hardcore, refusing-to-leave brethren. What a tale it is already making: "The Great Hukilau Evacuation of 2004."

(ok, so it wasn't quite as dramatic as all that, but we can pretend!)

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-09-30 13:03 ]

I've had a few days back home and finally feeling normal again. When I got here I really thought I couldn't hear the "H" song for a long, long time.

I would like to say despite all, everyone obviously had a great time, including myself. I was able to reflect on the event so much more with the assistance of James Teitelbaum last night at Trader Vic's. We started with everyone on Thursday night, a smaller crowd on Friday and then the core crowd on Saturday. If more of those that went to shelters were able to come, they would've been there as we saw them on Sunday and Monday night.

I appreciate everyone pulling together and supporting us. I want to thank everyone for their comments and offerrings of donations as I moved through the crowd on Friday night. Everyone really got into the spirit that always surrounds Hukilau and made that night very special. I cried several times of all the love in the room.

Our performers stuck it out and gave such a great show! Our vendors went through so much and really brought out their treasures!

Thanks to everyone for the calls and emails since my return. It's great to hear from all of you.

Personally, I can't wait until next year!!!!

Thank you Kiliki and Swanky for putting on such a great event. I am a local here in the Ft Lauderdale who brought his parents and wife on Friday night, and we had a wonderful time. You guys put so much love and energy into Hukilau, and it showed. Unfortunately I didn't really get to meet you guys, maybe next time. I will definitely see you next year.

Aaron

K

Holy smokes what a ride!!!!!! We had an amazing time thanks to all. I may have to purchase a new liver after Hukilau.... oh well, it was worth it. It was great to meet everyone. Thanks for the memories even the ones I cant remember. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

it was a weekend of stories i will tell til the day i die....on thursday night around midnight,i proposed to my wahine on the beach in front of the ocean, on friday, i bought and met some of the worlds greatest tiki artists/carvers, and saw a living legend in billy mure, on saturday, i finally experienced the mecca known as mai kai, and on sunday, i woke up having survived a hurricane.....a mega mahalo to swanky and tiki kaliki.......

Aloha & Talofa to Tikikiliki, Swanky and the entire Hukilau Tribe. Much Mahalos, Fafetai Tele Lava for giving Polynesian Proud the opportunity and pleasure to be a part of a great event with great people who all share the same and common love and aloha of tiki, culture, Mai Kai and a hula good time. Despite the weekly Hurricane happening on Hukilau weekend it was a blast to meet and be part of the energy of Hukilau, so many wonderful people we met at our booth and after the performance. Mahalo for your kind words and applause of the show. We hope you enjoyed our newest member "Tiki".Amazing to be in the company of all those that we read, hear and see on TC and the books that they pen and works of art that are created, music that keeps ya shakin, all in one room. On behalf of Polynesian Proud a big kahuna thanks to 2 very special people for keeping the vision alive and making us a part of Hukilau 2004, Tikikiliki & Swanky. Look forward to next year.

T

Big thanks to Kiliki and Swanky for months of hard work and dedication. I know the two of you exhausted every last ounce of energy to put together the 2004 Hukilau and believe me I will forever applaud your efforts. I had a blast. Even though I didn't make it to the Mai Kai Saturday night like the rest, I still got to visit Monday evening. Either way I would have never seen it at all if you didn't put forth all the work to put Hukilau together in the first place. If there was no Hukilau, I never would have been in the area to visit the great tiki Mecca known as the Mai Kai. Thanks again, seriously, your efforts and work were and still are greatly appreciated.

S

Hukilau this year was really special for all of us I think- we each had our own versions of Hukilau and hearing from everyone else what theirs was like has actually been part of it for me, anyway. Each year has its own personality and comparing one year to another is impossible.

Hukilau 2003 for us was in many ways about the scheduled- Hukilau 2004 was about the 'adventure' (admittedly I can only say that because it's not my house or business that's a pile of splinters right now). It was about not knowing what was behind the next corner and not having the hard and fast schedule- so much of what this thread has been about is the off the mapness- small room get togethers, adventures in hoteling, but none-the-less finding Ohana shining at their brightest all through it.

THE example, of course, being the Mai Kai. We missed Saturday night, but I fully believe the tales of hospitality and kindness, by the Mai Kai and the rest of the TC Ohana are the stuff Tiki Tribal legends are born of. Even those of us who weren't there have some feeling for how special and unique it was thanks to the stories brought back by those who were.

Elvis afterparties are the unexpected. The Mai Kai even being open in a Huricane is the unexpected. TCers 'survival' stories post evacuation are the unexpected. This was the Hukilau of random chance- and amazingly, in the end, that off the map-ness seems to have been taken in stride and even dare I say, was part of the specialness and goodness of this year's event.

A few personal high points;

Riding the water taxi over to the Cabana Thursday night and as we pulled up, the boat captain pointed out the Tikki Beach (our ship for the evening in all its well thatched wonder) and said it was a "party boat" :)

And what a party it was! Thursday night was a blast! The music, !!!the boat!!!, the people- far too many names to even try to recall here, the drinks, the lovely waterways of 'America's Venice', the sunset, what a wonderful, relaxing way to ease in to an event.

Trust me, even if this supposedly ended up not being the Hukilau that was planned, it was wonderful EXACTLY the way it was.

Most of Friday was a wash for us-although we did get checked in and get our mugs and the VERY special Hukilau print!. We're down here on an extended road trip with Hukilau as one part of it, so we had our Truck packed with stuff for the trip which we needed to find a huricane safe place for, and we had friends flying in. So we spent much of Friday trying to line up hotel space in advance, and getting our friends on a flight back out. Mainly we were just glad we had the truck and could help those we could.

The escalating warnings led to a small lesson in Florida evacuation 101 for us out of towners. We found one hotel Friday were all set in case the evacuation came down, and then found out that the hotel was in a secondary evacuation zone that if Jeanne was a cat 3 or stronger we would settle into only to get back booted out of. So we had to find another, further inland. Which worked well for us, but not so well for the rest of the MD/DC/VA folks I wanted to try to help.

The hotel was only allowing the number of guests the bed was made for (2 in our case), and gave us a piece of paper at check-in saying 4 hours before landfall we would all be evacuated floor by floor out of our rooms and locked into a ballroom on the second floor- and kept there until a building inspector could confirm the building was safe to return to! Don't like the terms? Check out!

Well fortunately, Jeanne went north enough for us that we got to ride it out from our 12th floor hotel room- which was facinating. The building rocked a little, the gusts against the windows were pretty amazing, and the winds howled down through the vent system. We stayed up and watched transformer after transformer blow- lighting the sky green or blue like horrible fireworks gone wrong- knowing that each one that went meant missery to someone else. Our power stayed on all night, and we have no hotel horror stories at all. We were extremely lucky.

So we missed the legendary night at the Mai Kai- and felt like wusses for missing it.

But, other highlights;

We finally did make the Friday evening show- a little late, but still in time to meet many TCers, enjoy the show, pick up our fresh leis, dance along with the Billy Mure snake, and even do a little shopping- hands down, Hukilau venders are the best! All so talented, and hearts to match!

Later in the evening, a very special moment running into Billy Mure with his lovely wahine friend packing up late Friday night in the parking lot at the Mar, we were about to bug out, but we spoke briefly and I got to tell him how amazing it was to see him here. He asked how I knew about him and I explained that a friend has passed me some of her parents' albums when she found out I was into this 'whole Tiki thing'. Billy seemed genuinely pleased to know that his music was touching a whole new generation and that he was appreciated.

And finally getting to the Mai Kai on Sunday- to find a small knot of Ohana still in town. We had a lovely dinner, enjoyed the show, strolled the gardens, thanked the staff profusely!, raided the gift shop, and tried a new several drinks that we hadn't before.

By the way, the Mai Kai interpretation of a navy grog is the 'yeoman's grog'. When I tried to order a navy grog I was asked if I was from the west coast- hmmmmmmmm. Interesting!

So our Hukilau was actually wonderful. As the evening wore down, those of us left got to watch the water running down the windows in the bar turn off and we got a very good look at the Tikis ourside- Ikitnrev may even have gotten a few pictures. Then we went outside and saw a Gecko on the side of the building (so yes, Gecko was here in spirit this year!)

Finally, late Sunday evening, we were the last folks leaving the Maik Kai, as we waited for a Taxi, they turned out the lights under the outdoor canopy and for one strange moment, it was erie silence with floats overhead and the wind gently rustling the leaves. I was a very special way to say Aloha- until next year.

Again, I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about everyone who made this happen and who made it to whatever parts of the event they did. Huricane or no- it was worth it- and we appreciate everything everyone went through to make it happen.

Mahalo!

M

This Hukilau was incredible!!! Thanks Kiliki and Swanky!! I think it was worth all your effort.

P
pablus posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2004 1:33 PM

I'm shooting for 500 posts before morning.

Not really.

Just wanted to mention 2 other things about Hukilau...

First, Polynesian Proud - a fantastic experience. I can't wait to see them again.

Second, just got off the phone with Kern from the Mai Kai - get this - not only was he not bummed about so many reservations being canceled for that fateful night, he was thankful for the people who did show up saying, "We would have had nothing without the Hukilau being there - so we're glad they were there - we had a blast."

What an incredible attitude and yet so typical of the outstanding caliber of people that make the Mai Kai what it is.

I want to live there.

H

This was the sort of weekend that will stand out above all the others in my life--the sort we'll continue to be talking about for years to come.

I feel terrible for Swanky and Kiliki--this weekend was outstanding, and it's hard to imagine how it could be better (I do love an adventure!), but I also know that the two of them have been working incredibly, heart-wrenchingly hard for many, many months now on this event. From the start, it was evident to me that they had poured themselves into creating an event that was very together, very polished, and jam-packed with entertainment in every corner. The intended event was no small feat to organize, and it must have been heartbreaking for them to see all that work not come to fruition the way that they'd been imagining in their minds for so long.

That said, the united force of aloha spirit that Hurricane Jeanne brought out in us all was a beautiful thing to behold--the sort of thing that can't be engineered or designed to occur. I feel so fortunate to have been a part of it. Even while standing hungover Saturday morning in the Walgreens with my arms piled high with the suddenly neccessary flip-flops for my tiki brethren at the Budget Inn, I was giggling like an idiot.

Thank you to everyone who made this event what it was: first and foremost Swanky & Tiki Kiliki, the amazing 'ohana that is the Mai Kai, all the performers and vendors who shared their talents with us, and of course each and every last soul who was there to smile with, to laugh with, to talk with, to dance with, and to drink with. Thank you for the memories.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-10-01 14:52 ]

M

I second the following with a resounding....ZAAZZZ!!!!

On 2004-10-01 14:37, Humuhumu wrote:
This was the sort of weekend that will stand out above all the others in my life--the sort we'll continue to be talking about for years to come.

I feel terrible for Swanky and Kiliki--this weekend was outstanding, and it's hard to imagine how it could be better (I do love an adventure!), but I also know that the two of them have been working incredibly, heart-wrenchingly hard for many, many months now on this event. From the start, it was evident to me that they had poured themselves into creating an event that was very together, very polished, and jam-packed with entertainment in every corner. The intended event was no small feat to organize, and it must have been heartbreaking for them to see all that work not come to fruition the way that they'd been imagining in their minds for so long.

That said, the united force of aloha spirit that Hurricane Jeanne brought out in us all was a beautiful thing to behold--the sort of thing that can't be engineered or designed to occur. I feel so fortunate to have been a part of it. Even while standing hungover Saturday morning in the Walgreens with my arms piled high with the suddenly neccessary flip-flops for my tiki brethren at the Budget Inn, I was giggling like an idiot.

Thank you to everyone who made this event what it was: first and foremost Swanky & Tiki Kiliki, the amazing 'ohana that is the Mai Kai, all the performers and vendors who shared their talents with us, and of course each and every last soul who was there to smile with, to laugh with, to talk with, to dance with, and to drink with. Thank you for the memories.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-10-01 14:52 ]

Kern asked if I coudld post this onto TC. (no worries. done deal!)

Also, there were people on Tiki Central asking about the old lady dancing Saturday night, could you post a link to this site that talks about her -
http://starbulletin.com/1999/03/29/features/story1.html
She is Pualani Avon, a long time customer and friend of the Mai-Kai. Whenever she comes in, she always asks to dance to her song. She always says that "Lovely Hula Hands" was written for her, so it must be true. It is still first hand knowledge as long as she is still alive, not story yet. She also leased space to open the first gift shop at the Mai-Kai, which she and her family ran until the remodeling in 1970 when the Mai-Kai took over. You can find her where ever the Aloha spirit thrives, and that is why she came to the Hukilau.

Keep in touch, you know where to find me.

Kern Mattei
Manager
Mai-Kai Restaurant

OMG! The woman IS Hawaii!! What an amazing article (thank you Kern!), and what a treat that we got to see her dance at the Mai Kai. Now I REALLY can't wait for my fotos to be developed!!

WOW....She knew DUKE KAHANAMOKU! The Matson Girl! I am floored, man. That's just too much. She is a true treasure.

me and the wahine (waikiki kitty) were a bit overwhelmed by the situation friday nite and thusly missed out on meeting the rest of you and spending more time with all of you we had met up with. that to me is the biggest sense of loss. on the "mai tai is half full" side, thanks to swanky, kiliki, poly proud, tikibars (sorry we had to run), the vendors, and everyone else who made the event so memorable.

dang tikiwahine and drunk'nmonkey, we will have to wait another year to sample your scope bottle! :)

peace to you all, and again, we look forward to seeing (the rest of you) all soon! j$'s

S

I was as surprised as everyone when I woke up Saturday morning to find I had to be out of the room by 10AM. I took the list from the front desk and called and got a room. We got over there and bought gallons of water and food and prepared for a long stay.

Then I called the Mai Kai and they said they were open and the bar was full. So I threw on my suit and we all headed over for dinner. I needed a shower badly, but, you gotta go. I was glad I did.

Being at the Mai Kai made all the stress of the previous days go away. It made me relax. It was very nice to be there. You would not have known there was a hurricane outside unless you peeked out at the winds.

Then we headed home to our rank hotel room and found that it was the only place without lights! Every building around had lights, but our hotel was dark. So we opened the window for a breeze and tried to get to sleep.

About 2AM I heard what sounded like rowdy men arriving. Shouts and car doors shutting. Then I heard more and more. Then I began to realize it wasn't stopping. It got REALLY loud. Lots of just screaming and hollering at the top of their lungs. Then it wasn't actually car doors, it was them throwing furniture at the windo of their room! It got louder and louder. It sounded like they were killing each other! I don't know when I have ever heard such screaming. And now the window has shattered and you can feel the furniture bouncing around through the floor. Insane primal screaming. Can't tell what they are screaming. And the halls are pitch black.

So we are fearing these insane men might set the room on fire. The cell phone had just minutes of battery left and we called 911. They came and arrested the two men. But our poor nerves were shot.

I had driven to Florida so even though things were cleared up south, I could not head back north because Jeanne was still in the way. So I spent more nights at the Mai Kai.

were you at the amerisuites in plantation ???....thats were we got a room (at 10 pm saturday night), and we pulled up to a blacked out hotel, ....no power, from the time we arrived til the time we checked out (11 am) the next morning...we were on the top floor, and that wind was howlin by midnight.......

B

Finally had a good night sleep now that the electric is ON. Its Sunday, the week after HukiLau sunday. I'll try to forget the past terrible week. At least this time we were only out of power for 7 1/2 days and not 9. Nothing can ever take away or Dampen the great memories of friday at HukiLau. It was SO Great meeting ALl you People I can hardly stand it. I can't name names because I know I will forget some and it wouldn't be fair. Just know that I Loved every minute of Friday. I'm sorry we had to leave early and I wish we could have stayed for one of the best sounding tiki parties EVER. To everyone who bought my art work, you have a deep part of my heart andI am so proud of each of you.
Sherry and I are already making plans for next year and hopefully for the Whole show.
Now we have still much work to do to get our home and lives back to normal. Big thanks to ALl who made HukiLau possible and made it such a fantastic happening, even if it was shortened.
HAPPY, happyhappy

M

On 2004-09-30 08:08, martiki wrote:

The one thing that did suck big time, was the unbridled horrors of the Budget Inn. Our room smelled so vile I gagged. I took back every terrible thing I said about the Cabana and started to miss it's musty damp carpet. I went to our dry cleaners yesterday with my Sandwich Isles jacket and Rebecca's dress, and the woman behind the counter lept back when she opened the bag. "Oh my god..smells so bad!" were her exact words. Until next year!

TOO funny!!!!

M

Wait a minute...WHAT HURRICANE?!?! I don't remember one, in fact I don't remember the whole weekend, except that I kept trying to light my cigar and the wind would blow out the matches and I also remember that when I finally did get it lit, it fell into my Rum barrel!!

I only WISH I could have been there for Jeanne! My troubles started way before that. My car died in NC on the way down. It is still there, and will possibly remain there forever.

I spotted a house at the bottom of a the hill that I-40 was on, so, thinking to myself good thoughts about southern hospitality, I trekked on down there to use their telephone. After falling down a steep hill of brambles, and through a creek, and getting shocked by an electric fence, I arrived at my destination. Apparently they heard me comming because my polite knock was met immediately with a .30 cal hunting rifle aimed at my face! The man on the other end of it was not amused nor was he moved by my ill turn of events. his wife, however, suggested that there might be a pay phone a few miles down the road. I thanked her politely and got the hell out of there.

Now, about 1.5 miles down the road... the road dead ended! So I had to make my way BACK up another hill of brambles and fences to get onto I-40. Two miles later I found a gas station near the interstate exit. Luckily, the ONE phone in that town still worked. I got a ride home.

12 hours after I embarked on my journey, I had procurred another car, just in time to find out about Jeanne! So I know when to throw in the towell, and that time had come.

I plan on offering up my tikis for sale on the board soon since I lost my shirt (and car!) on this adventure. Anyone interested, please check that thread.

I WILL by golly make it to next year's! I can't have bad luck all the time!

WOW! A rifle in your face, all for tiki. Sounds like you had a bad day Saint Thomas. With that behind you, you should be able to carve out some killer tikis now.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-10-08 09:12 ]

DAMN, Saint Thomas!!!

You win THE CAKE for sh*tty Hukilau luck stories!! (Here I was whining cuz my cellphone broke and I had to sleep in one nice hotel instead of another nice hotel - wah! Poor me!) I'm glad you made it home in one piece, and hope you make it to Ft. Lauderdale with MUCH less fanfare next year!

F

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2004 5:30 PM

The volcano bowls St. Thomas made are awsome. He would have sold them all!

Well, sorry it's taken so long for this post, but... no exuses...

First, Swanky and Tiki Kiliki.... THANKS for an outstanding event! You guys put your heart and soul into this event, and everyone, even those that missed the main event, appreciate your efforts. I've been looking forward to Hukilau 2004 all year, and hurricane or not I was gonna be there. After being evacuated from the hotel, picking up hurricane supplies, boarding up our house in Boca Raton (about 25 miles N of the Mai-Kai), my wife thought I was crazy, but I HAD to head down to the Hukilau! On the way down the wind was blowing so hard the spray from the car in front of me on I-95 wasn't even hitting my van... it was blowing straight East! It was a night to remember... NOBODY will forget HUKILAU 2004.... what a BLOWOUT! I had a GREAT time! I'm so very glad that Kern and the Mai-Kai went on with the show! I'm so glad that there was still a bunch of Ohana who stuck it out. And, I feel bad for those who made tough decisions and had to miss the show... it was the right decision for them - we missed them; we look forward to seeing them next year.

I'm not sure how late folks stayed, but there was a 10pm curfew in Palm Beach County, so I figured I better be home by then. (I did NOT want to get pulled over on curfew night, wearing a Hawaiian shirt, beads and a lei, after 4 Zombies!) So, I got home a few mins after 10pm. Sorry I had to leave early, there were so many people I wanted to meet and didn't get a chance to.

So, in summary, a GREAT time, a very special moment to always remember, and another taste of heaven for next year....

Swanky, I hope I can do more to help you get set up for next year.... just hook me up... :)

Pages: 1 2 3 100 replies