Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New find - Quiksilver Mug

Pages: 1 21 replies

At the weekend I was in Manchester, England and visited a surf shop that was going out of business. (In the city that served up the Smiths and Joy Division, perhaps a surf shop wasn't the best idea). Virtually everything was on sale, cheap, and I suddenly noticed a Tiki mug without a price tag on. "How much for the Tiki mug?" I asked. "£20" was the answer. I tried to beat him down, but he wasn't having any of it. Still, I think I got a decent deal as I've seen nor heard of this mug before:

I guess Quiksilver made up a bunch to use in there stores around the globe in displays. It was in the cabinet holding stuff like necklaces and watches. I'm not sure that they were ever for sale, but I imagine not.

The guy who sold it to me said he really wanted to keep it as he was planning on putting a bar in his basement. I told him I already had one and it was going to a good home.

Trader Woody

Now I've seen everything!

What do ya think about that Holden?

Nice find Woody, great color! To bad they did not have a ton and at a better price.

I found one in a surf shop in San Diego several years ago & they refused to sell it. The shop went out of business while I was out of town so I never had a chance to try to pick it up.

The shop also had a lamp made from what looked like a honey brown version, has anyone seen anything like that?

Something about a corporate logo on a tiki mug......just seems out of place to me....

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2004-09-28 12:54 ]

T
Tabu posted on Tue, Sep 28, 2004 7:53 PM

I Saw a Pink ceramic tiki lamp with the Roxy clothing label at surf/beachwear shop in Toronto last year.

On 2004-09-28 12:52, freakytiki wrote:*
Something about a corporate logo on a tiki mug......just seems out of place to me....

I hear you chief, but surf culture has always rested easily with Tiki, so it seems a logical crossover to me. These surf companies usually started with a couple of people in a surf shack, making the goods for their friends and went on from there.

Besides, Tiki mugs have had logos plastered on their backs for decades. Anything from movies (Blue Hawaii) to Frats to more corporate restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe) have had logos stuck onto existing Tiki mugs.

Trader Woody

Trader Woody,
I guess being born in and growing up in a very small beach town (Laguna Beach,same with my parents)it is just hard to see how beach culture has become so commercialized.
You are right about how some of these surf companies started out,( Hobie Alter started out shaping surfboards in his fathers garage, in Laguna) if you grew up here and saw how it has evolved into what it is now I think you would understand what I mean.It seems that everything under the sun is now a corporate entity, for example, our local concert ampitheater (Irvine Meadows) is now " Verision Wireless Amitheater", and the list goes on....this area has changed dramatically and on so many levels..
I remember days gone when you could pull your cars on the beach and camp out, (Youngs Beach Camp at Salt Creek)where you and your buddies would surf all day, then go free-diving for abalone, lobster, fish etc. then have a big hukilau that evening with family and friends, break out the uke.....so my point is, is that nowadays walking into a surf shop and seeing a bright blue tiki mug with a "Quicksilver" logo on it seems out of place, not the mug itself.BTW, I talked to a friend of mine who works at Quicksilver in Irvine, CA. and the mugs were made as shop displays and were never made as sale items....

By the way, QUIKSILVER is located in HB not Irvine. If it really bugs you that a tiki mug is used as a marketing device for a SURF company, you've got other issues to deal with. Yeah, Quiksilver is a corporate, billion dollar, company now, but they came from the same place as Hobie, Mossimo (back when they were a surf clothing company), and Gotcha. All companies starting in garages in the Newport/ Balboa area. It's not like we're the group to all of the sudden stumble upon tiki. Hell, I even have a Crazy Al tiki keychain from the June 2000 OP Pro (not that 2000 is that old or anything).

That Irvine Meadows thing bums me out too.

Cool mug, I wish I had one.

You're right about the location....I was thinking of the O'Neil offices.I did'nt realize you worked for Quicksilver.....my comment was just an observation.No need to get so bent out of shape:)

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2004-09-30 17:18 ]

I'd buy it... I dig the WC Fields schnozz!!

I love getting bent out of shape. Didn't mean to explode on you.

P

The shop also had a lamp made from what looked like a honey brown version, has anyone seen anything like that?

I've seen the same thing out here at the Quiksilver store at Torquay (near Bells Beach...if anyone's not sure).

They wouldn't sell them either.

[ Edited by: PEDDRO on 2004-09-30 23:59 ]

On 2004-09-29 11:14, freakytiki wrote:*I remember days gone when you could pull your cars on the beach and camp out, (Youngs Beach Camp at Salt Creek)where you and your buddies would surf all day, then go free-diving for abalone, lobster, fish etc. then have a big hukilau that evening with family and friends, break out the uke.....

Yeah, luckily we are still at that level with the surf scene in the UK (though the most you're going to get to eat from the sea are mussels and the odd dozy fish). The British surf companies are still pretty localised (one of the biggest is actually called 'Tiki'). Of course the big American companies merch sells well everywhere from little surf shacks to Harrods surf section :( .

I hadn't realised how big some had become. The way they advertise makes it seem like they are still being made by one man and his dog, 10 feet away from the beach.

Trader Woody

Harrods is a pretty amazing place, I was there a couple of years ago.I spent at least an hour there and still did not see the half of it! I did'nt see the surf section.....that place is truly a one stop shop....

TT

found one today! in blue glaze

TT

TT

See this lamp over in marketplace thread....

T

Not the same as Woody's

google provides a link to the photo teakey is referring to

[edited to clarify/append]

[ Edited by: johnny dollar 2012-01-04 12:56 ]

TT

Reading previous posts provides info (& context)

was providing info in response to teakey's comment since trader woody's photos had delinked :D

Pages: 1 21 replies