Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

I Just Came Up With A Great Name For A Rock Band

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

On 2005-01-25 20:25, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

On 2005-01-25 14:45, yukiokat wrote:
I was in Ballgagger (the all girl band) and was wondering who Shipwreck Joey's niece was? We had three bassist through out our career.

Her name is Bobbie. She was on the '97/'98 tour. She's now married to Corky Pigeon (Gain drummer and Ricky Schroeder's pal on the '80's TV show Silver Spoons) and she just had the cutest baby girl I've ever seen.

And now in our latest round of "6 Degrees of Tiki," I grew up on Staten Island, NY, & some of my friends from school used to beat up Rick Schroeder back when he was a kid.

And I've just thought up a name for a Steely Dan cover act: Ricky & the Lost Numbers.

On 2005-01-25 14:45, yukiokat wrote:
I was in Ballgagger (the all girl band) and was wondering who Shipwreck Joey's niece was? We had three bassist through out our career.

You can currently get copies of the Ballgagger album for $3.50 from http://www.theologianrecords.com/creditcards.html at the moment in their sale. I just bought one. he Dwarves and Pennywise are also going cheap, so you're in good company!

Trader Woody

I propose changing the Smokin' Menehunes band name to the first thing I see written on a box in the dumpster behind the fish restaurant next door. I'll go look for a box right now. Hold on a minute...
Ok. I'm back. I found a box:

Sabu

A friend of mine had a band where 2/3 of the members were gay men, and the band was named "Studfinder".

In college, we toyed around with the idea of a band called The Cryogenitals.

--SBiM

A few years ago in SF, there was a band name trend, (probably started by Brian Jonestown Massacre,) and one of my favorite names was JFKFC, the t-shirts were a photoshop morph of JFK and Colonel Sanders. Hysterical! My own contribution was Shag Carpet Bomb. In NY when I was a punk kid, there was a band called 'Diet Christ: the one calorie messiah' That was always my favorite.

Thanks Sabu,
I needed to laugh today.

yeah sabu - "acanthocybium solandri" has a kind of ring to it :)

consiering that a student of the u of va is called a "wahoo," that bag is even funnier s.t.c.b.

So, J$, what's your association with YouVeeAy such that you know that? Did you spend your glory days in The Hook (Charlottesville)? That's where me and the missus met BTW.
Speaking of obscure bands and Charlottesville, anyone ever heard of or know what became of MGB, the Michael Guthrie Band? These guys had to be in their 40's in the early 80's. Played the frat party scene put out a couple of vinyl LP's. They had a kind of Beatles in the Cavern Club sound. Not retro mind you but been there done that contemporaries of that scene.

[ Edited by: WillTiki on 2005-05-26 11:38 ]

Small world again: Herb Guthrie (Michael's brother and drummer) was my next door neighbor in Athens. The band ROCKED. Michael was in "Guitar Player Magazine" years ago. He actually was a contemporary of the Who back when in Europe (Germany, mostly), where he and his brother grew up (dad stationed there). Being compared to The Who is no accident, nor is it unoriginality; it's what he's been playing since he was a kid.

(Herb's kids gave me my most beloved pet - a hamster. He served as the "stud hamster" for all the future generations of tail-less rodents next door. Hung like a f***ing HORSE, he was. I'd jokingly ask for a 25 cent stud fee whenever they'd come over asking to borrow "Austin" (their name for him, not mine) for their current she-hamster in heat, and the teenaged daughter would roll her eyes and say, quoting her dad, "Gimme a break - he's a sperm bank.")

Michael mostly makes his living today dealing in vintage guitars. BEAUtiful guitars.

(and "Wahoo" struck me funny too - I was at Hollins in Roanoke my freshman year, but longed to be in Charlottesville. Only made it there a couple of times back then, though. Nice place.)

Hey - just thought of a band name:
The Stud Hamsters

On 2005-05-26 14:48, Formikahini wrote:
The Stud Hamsters

L :) O :) L :)

will man, i was dere grad skool '94-'97.

i even got to see TIKI BARBER play!

akshually i started my tiki mug colletion in charlottesville. Salvation Army on Cherry Ave, what's not to like...

to keep on topic... another rock band name...

HARLOTTESVILLE

W

Its a small Tiki world man, far fewer than 6 degress of separation! I was at UVa in the 80's and saw MGB several times, but another band I saw there had a name that just stuck in my mind "The Fleshtones".

Also, this was during the MTV metal and punk era; we were watching this stuff and said "we can do that" so my friends and I briefly formed a band just for the hell of it (and to avoid paying a real band for a couple of big parties.) We called ourselves "Harsh Reality" and wrote a bunch of really bad punk and speed metal songs set to some 12 bar blues. Great fun. Our drummer had grown up in Charlottesville playing in all kinds of bands...one of which had another great band name:
"Continental Drift". He took us over to see a guy who rented sound equipment. He lived in a small apartment in a low rent complex. It was floor to ceiling amps, PA stuff, sound boards etc, a room full of mikes, cabling, so much stuff and good stuff too. The only other things in there were pizza boxes, beer cans and drug paraphenalia. Anyway, we needed some stuff to do a couple of gigs so this dude just said help yourself. We went out to a rental truck he had in the parking lot and it too was full of stuff. We hauled out a few carloads of stuff and took it all to our ground floor on-campus apartment. It was a hoot to see the faces of people as we were setting up this much sound equipment in and outside of our place. We played ... and drank and everyone else listened ... and drank. Of course, we were eventually shut down in the wee hours of Sunday morning by the cops. Somewhere I still have a t-shirt from the batch we had made for our ficticious "Small States of Europe Tour" (you know, Monaco, Andorra, Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican City...It was amazing that some folks thought we were really a band I said "Yes, the Holy Father loved us, he really rocks you know...

T

Do/did you know Chris Leva, now of Guano Boys?

On 2004-10-10 18:34, stuff-o-rama wrote:
Ever heard of the Yeastie Girls? They had a minor hit with "You Suck" about the above subject.

One of my favorite band names: Dumpster Juice

I think I have heard that one. It may be one of the sexiest songs I've heard in my life!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies