Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Orange Marmalade...what is your opinion?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Orange Marmalade is a funny thing, most people like it or hate it…it’s like whiskey in that people who like it often are loyal to a single brand.

This isn’t just true in recent times, but has been for quite some time. Sir Edmond Hillary had a specific brand he traveled with up Everest. The Capt. of the Queen Mary had another brand he had specifically, as did the First Class Passengers of the Titanic. (Most of who survived)

In recent years, corporate studies have shown many people have it with toast and Scotch before bed…so many so, that some companies have begun marketing their Marmalade with whiskey in it.

In the Mojave Desert, I’ve seen it blended with Horseradish, and used as sauce for Fish and Chips..to my shock, it was quite good.

What’s your view of Orange Marmalade, what brands do you like best and how do you use it.

personally, I'm not a big fan of any food that contains citrus rinds, no matter how small, or nuts.

Not surprizingly the same market studies have shown that woman, and little kids tend to prefer the Marmalade with little or no pith, and the less bitter varieties (also called "California Style")

I quite enjoy the pieces..the more the better, especially if it's in a bitter Marmalade. Coopers Oxford, and Robertson's Scotch Shred are good examples.

Nice with a maltier Scotch.

Paddington Bear...was quite a marmalade advocate.

... tastes great on chicken.

(the marmalade, that is.)

D

Good as an ingredient,bad as a stand alone.

Love marmalade on toast, but I grew up with it(English/Scottish/Welsh family)

Here we don't call it orange marmalade, being marmalade it's assumed that it's made of oranges. Unless you want lemon marmalade - but that's a whole other story :)

Just like when I ask for tea down in the US, they say "iced?" but up here tea is always presumed to be hot unless you say "iced tea" :) funny stuff

Anyone else like lemon curd? Sounds gross, but it's like lemon meringue pie filling you put on toast.

Tikiwahine, I think most places Marmalade is only considered Orange (usually Seville) however I specified so people would not go on wild sprees about Kumkwat preserves (which I actually like)

Lemon Curd is quite nice, but I find I can only tolerate a little bit.

Marmalades on the other hand never seems to bore the curios palate...So many varieties which seem like they must be similar, but are incredibly different.

King Kelly for example is very popular, it's made in So Cal, and is sweet, but has a sourness not typical because (and I hope this excites you) It's made with lemon pith as well as orange.

It's also one of the few produce I've ever seen that has no label and never has.

Robertson's (Once of Scotland, but moved to England years ago) had a great icon called "the Gollywog". A kind of kooky looking black fellow...A few years back they stopped using him as an icon...very sad...trying not to offend...

What varieties of Marmalade are available in Canada?

8T

I hate the stuff! I remember a jar of Smuckers Orange Marmalade that was in my parents refrigerator for about a decade!
Hell, it may still be there.

I know some folks like it but I suppose if you ground up ANYTHING small enough you could find SOMEONE willing to try it on a cracker.

Smuckers is not my favorite. While doing a bit of research on Marmalade, I actually contacted the company and to my surpize they were very nice.

A funny note about them and thier advertsing..."With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good"

I thought it was a nausiating jingle which emplied the name and Status were above reproach.

It actually was part of a campaign when Smuckers started selling in the East. It was thought by them that Schmuck, which means penis in hebrew would be what people heard in places like New York...so they made fun of it themselves.

Knott's is another one I wanted to hate...it's a bit too sweet for my tastes, but it is increadibly flavorful.

Ahh yes Gigantilope! Golliwogs were common with my grandmothers era...definitely not PC. Very cute little guys, my Mum's favorite doll when she was little was a golliwog.

I haven't tried all these fantastic marmalades you speak of, but now am very curious. I'm going to check the grocery store on my next trip for the ones you've mentioned, and see what's available up here. I don't have toast and jam very often these days, but I do enjoy it every now and then.

OMG I sound like my Grandma.

I'm going to go and watch a DVD in the bedroom, I need some current stimulation...gotta get back into the 21st century!

hehe, 8ft, have you ever had marmite? or maybe vegemite? Ick my Dad loves the stuff. If you give some to your cat, it's fleas will jump off!(doesn't THAT make it sound tasty?!)

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-10-21 00:42 ]

Marmite and Vegemite are the source of endless jokes in Austrailia...While far below the lofty status of Marmalade, they are quite full of B-vitimins (v-IT-i-mins) besides having a razor thin spread on toast, Its common to make it in a drink, like Bullion...still, if it's the sienna color you seek on your toast, a nice Dewerr's 1881 dark brown marmalade with the large pieces of peel can't be beat. Hard to find but worth the look...nice Rum Rasin after taste.

Among my absolute faves.

On 2004-10-20 13:16, Gigantalope wrote:

I quite enjoy the pieces..the more the better, especially if it's in a bitter Marmalade. Coopers Oxford, and Robertson's Scotch Shred are good examples.

Good call - Coopers is top notch. There used to be a Coopers store in Oxford selling more marmalade than you could shake a piece of toast at. They do quite a variety of styles.

Lemon curd is great too, but for the hardcore, lemon cheese is the ultimate. It's just a bit more buttery than lemon curd.

Marmite - they do ads over here where people say "Marmite - I hate it!" or something along those lines. Fans of salty things to spread on their toast should look out for Gentleman's relish. Not only does it have a funny name, it tastes great and you only need to spread on the tiniest bit.

Trader Woody

Wow, that's great!
Top notch stuff...Pickled Walnuts are another fine picnic food.

That shop with all the marmalade sounds like heaven...

Have all the French one's gotten popular over there? Bon Mamon is eveywhere here...it's okay, but it's not the best.

I think Baxter's is about the finest. We don't get that here.

I just remembered, the Noddy books I had as a child had a Golliwog in them...funny how he disappeared in the recent re-incarnation.

Pages: 1 14 replies