Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show me your mugs & I'll show you mine...UPDATED 1/18/08 all new pics page 1

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

D

I love the blue-it really sets off all your treasures well-thankx for sharing.

Kahiki!

I love the hand-painted look of these Otigiri pieces.

Don Ho Rocks and Orchids Coconuts:

Various Peanut mugs:

M

Nice..

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 2:08 PM

I think that we should keep this topic going. I think that the mugs are the best part of the tiki kingdom. I would love to see more collections or thoses one of a kind mugs. THe pics of the Munktiki together and next to other known mugs is a good compareison for size. I will try to get my new collection photo posted. Mugs Mugs Mugs more mugs

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-01-28 10:43 ]

thanks to everyone who has shared their pics. however i'm a stingy bastard and you'll have to visit the Dark Marq if you want to see our collection of mugs and bowls! that said, i think checking out our collection while sipping a tropical cocktail and listening to martin denny is a fair trade for no pics don't you think?

...liquor in the front, poker in the rear...

[ Edited by: the drunken hat on 2005-01-07 14:40 ]

T

Here's what I have at this point. I've whittled my collection done to the ones I really like.

First, the Munktikis:

Then the ones I have in the ClubTiki Lounge. Please forgive the horrible flash, as the lounge is in the basement, which is devoid of all natural light.

B

Ah-ha, another "Double" Collector! I rationalize with my wife that if we ever get really broke, I can sell all the dupes. Yeah Right!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:43 ]

Wow! Mug Envy in the WORST way... I have only just begun my collection. Its a baby collection, with only about 14 mugs or so. pout

I suddenly have this massive urge, after seeing this thread, to run to The Mai Kai tomorrow and buy out one of each and every one they got! (Dont I wish I COULD!) :wink: LOL!!!!

Wonderful collections everyone! Thank you for the inspirational photos! Mahalo! :D

Lenore

The eyeball with the fez hat is made by Munktiki. It was a very limited ed run they did with (I think) four different colored eyeballs.

I think that's a Cult of the Eye piece. If you haven't visited their web site you should. Got a great photo of Shag on there in a Cult of the Eye fez.

I'm brand new to posting images on any forum so if these don't show up right away...let me try again after I do some more book learnin' and ask my husband how to do it...

I have only started collecting tiki. I have a fairly large collecton of Hawaiiana which is mostly hula figures and misc. This is most of the tiki pieces I have so far.

This is the Spencers Gift yellow lighted moai and a Bali Hai mug and shot glass.

Three skull mugs I just got. The one on the left in the front was painted with red and blue but a little paint thinner and elbow grease got it off. The tall bamboo mugs, Tihati's Bora Bora, Tradewinds, and the Round House mugs I found at local thrift stores for about a buck each.

A misc. collection of mugs and stuff. I'm working on finishing the double faced, glass tiki mugs in the back. I just got a milk glass one off ebay for $5. The Doll House bamboom mug I found for $4 and my husband remembers going into that strip club when he was stationed on Oahu! Mini mugs, Tresure Craft Menehune and a Westwood Napkin holder.

These little guys I found at thrift stores for a dollar or $2. They are ashtrays and have faces on 3 corners.

This is Manulani. She came to live with us at our last luau. She was a birthday present for my husband. She came inside to the living room and never left. To the left is a lighted moai, in the Bird of Paradise is a Maori mask, the tiki torches are wired with flame shaped bulbs, on the floor is one of those plasma moai tikis (freaks the cat out big time), a carved wooden tiki girl and next to her is a monkeypod tiki. That's another Spencers Gifts green lighted moai to the right.

This is a tiki that is supposed to be from Bali. I found him in a catalog not to long ago. His body is hollow and his ahem 'member' comes out to use as a drumstick. Apparently these are at the gates of villages and are used to signal visitors. Don't know if it's true but how could I pass him up? That's a frond lei that has dried to his left.

These are a few of my wooden perfume holders along with some misc items. The tiki's head comes off to access the bottle of perfume. Next to him is a Shag lighter and in front of that is a Hawaii compact.

These are mini mugs and toothpicks. The ones on the top have no handles and were packaged as toothpick holders.

This shelf sits atop my closet in my bedroom. Another set of mini mugs and a set of Westwood 5 1/2 inch mugs.

This is the rest of the shelf with misc mugs and decanters.

These guys are Nevco mini tikis. The ones on the bottom were mint in the package untill I dropped a mug on the package and broke the two on the bottom back. They're glued back together but I'm looking for replacements for them. All I need is the light green one to show up on ebay.

Alright..there's some of my tiki collection. Feels good to share it with people who don't just roll their eyes at you! Thanks!

[ Edited by: Dancin' Lizard on 2005-01-29 23:24 ]

WOW, nice collection Dancin' Lizard and Welcome to Tiki Central!!!

TT

This is more of a test than anything. I haven't tired to post pics before.

TT

It worked, kind of. I have dozens of pics, but they sure are small. I'll figure out how to make them bigger for next time.

Hey Ted, you can test stuff in the Test Area...

https://tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=3&291

TT

Thanks Matt. This should save about ten posts everyone would have had to ignore.

Dancin' Lizard!
Did you make the cool bamboo shelves that you have above your closet (holding your mugs)?

[ Edited by: Deery Luau on 2005-01-31 16:46 ]

http://www.monkeyinmyhead.com/TikiMugs/

Although I've got a LOT of updating to do. Digital fall down go boom. Hooray for forced upgrades!

T

love that you got a one of a kind munktiki design. The eyes look like foosballs...um, footballs.

On 2005-01-31 16:44, Deery Luau wrote:
Dancin' Lizard!
Did you make the cool bamboo shelves that you have above your closet (holding your mugs)?

[ Edited by: Deery Luau on 2005-01-31 16:46 ]

Yes I did, thank you for asking. They are as simple as pie. Just a plain pine board painted a bamboo color and real bamboo pieces just slightly larger than the thickness of the wood tacked on with finishing nails.

The slightly larger bamboo makes for a nice 'lip' on the shelf to keep things from shaking off during earthquakes.

I thought I’d dig this picture taken in 1994 for this thread. It wasn’t much but this “Tiki Room” started out as a broom closet with removed hinges, eventually it had a small refrigerator on the floor lights, recipe books, and a small tape recorder playing exotica. The best part was all the mugs were gotten at thrifts and flea markets and were all under $4.00, Today I have an entire room dedicated to the hobby. Can the house be far behind?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:07 ]

J

Finally got around to taking some pics of my mugs...and unlike the others who have posted I have posted little tidbits about where I got certain mugs...

From left to right: Shag mug from TIki Farm (bought at Wacko in L.A. on a trip to CA), Steve Crane Ku, Hoffman Kahiki (traded w/Hale Tiki - I love this mug!), 3 Harvey's, Luau Hut and Treasure Craft Moai (probably my greatest Goodwill find ever - not a mug but I love that thing!)

Left to right: Mt. Fuji Inn Moai, Don Ho glass (Goodwill find), unmarked possibly home-made mug (parents flea market find), Polynesian Village glass (owned since I went to Disney World as a kid), Kahlua Hut, (hiding behind the TV swizzles) Orchids of Hawaii as pictured on pg. 88 of Tiki Quest (bought at antique store in Easton MD), TV coconut (parents brought back from CA), Harvey's hula girl (first mug I found locally), TV grenadine bottle, Westwood, TV shaker.

Left to right: Hawaiian Village handled mug, much beloved Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel OMC Aztec head and OMC Moai (w/swizzle and matchbook), Pub Tiki mug (w/swizzle and matchbook) - traded to TC member and is probably my favorite of all my mugs - thanks Erika!, Luau Hut petroglyphs mug, Tiki Bob, Aku Aku Moai w/lid, hiding behind the koa pineapple is my Shecky from Munktiki! Oh, Cruisin' w/Ron was an ad that ran in Ocean City MD for a now defunct surf shop called B.B. Bombers in 1982. I cut it out and framed it and have held onto it ever since!

Left to right: Kon Tiki Ports mug (thanks Tiki Matt), Moai statue and Moai salt shaker, Hawaiian Inn "paddlesucker", Hawaiian Room @ Emerson Hotel skull mug (Christmas present from my parents - found at a local antique store) weird thing is that it says clearly on the bottom - Made Exclusively for Trader Vic's, hiding behind the skull is the OMC Jade East Buddah mug (not a tiki bar but it had its own custom mugs and was only 30 minutes from home - bought off Ebay, picked up locally and found out about others locally who were into tiki - met all my MD/DC/VA tiki ohana thanks to this mug, Mark Thomas Outrigger mug, Coco Joes tiki

Left to right: Mainlander mug w/a horrid re-paint, The Tikis Moai Mug, Trader Dick's Moai Mug, OMC Kowloon mug, PMP mug, Hawaii Kai skull mug (bought by my parents at a flea market for $2.00), OMC Stockton Islander black peanut mug, Pisco Capel decanter (went through too much trouble to locate one of these, heard that the stuff doesn't taste very good, bottle will remained sealed), Goodwill find lonely pineapple shaker.

Tiki Farm Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard, Tonga Room barrel/mask mug, Huke Lau Sun God mug, signature Kowloon "potato-bug" mug, Mr. Bali Hai (found at a local antique store!), orange Luau Hut hula girl mug made by Orchids of Hawaii (another fantastic Goodwill find!), X-eyes mug from Huki Lau in LA, parrot mug from the Hawaiian Cottage (bought by parents at flea market), Stockton Islander smiling native cup and hiding in the corner is my first tiki mug - it's a cracked Orchids of Hawaii Ku mug that I got off Ebay for $.75 (I don't know why I bought a broken mug but the price was too good to pass up!

When I first started collecting mugs my goal was to have enough to fill the 12' shelf behind the bar and now I realize that I've got mugs stashed all over the house - I've got mugs in my display cabinet which used to be exclusively for my cocktail shakers, I've got this cubby hole/display area at the bottom of the basement steps stacked 3 rows high w/mugs, I've got the shelves in the back room in the basement full of mugs, there are even mugs with no where to go at the moment so they're chilling on top of the bar, I've even got a couple thrift store found coconut mugs sitting on my workbench in the garage...as you can see, this collecting thing gets out of control real easy! :)

Wow! great collection, John...

you have just about everything I'm looking for :)

-Z

TM

Awsome, John! I love the descriptions. They're fascinating. Maybe I'll go back and do the same (if I can remember).

UJ

Here is a link to my meager collection.
http://www.unklejohn.com/lounge.htm
I just now got around to taking single photos of them. some are vintage some are reproductions. I'm pretty sure you all can tell. Oh and feel free to roam about my site as well. :)

A

Wow, this is some great stuff. I know I've posted too many pics of the lagoon room, but, here are a few more.

I like the hula mugs, Exotic, wild and sexy

Some of the collectors Ive had over, didn't know about the mug on the left. The mug on the right is a common Trader Dicks mug, the other is an older, higher quality version. The details are sculpted instead of painted on, it has better lines. Shows up on Ebay from time to time and rarley sells for over $10.00

I found this in a Palm Springs Thrift store when I was with about 9 other TCers (Poly Pop was one of them). Pearl City Tavern was in Waikiki, they had live monkeys in a glassed in enclosure behind the bar. My dad and his crazy cousin, Squawk, would drink there. Squawk had this little finger puppet that he would tease the monkeys with, they would literally go "Ape Shit".

A present from Bong and Debbie

Here are pictures of my menu.

This is my only rare Tiki Mug
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: alnshely 2008-06-05 16:08 ]

J

Al, I never get tired of gazing upon the Lagoon Room! Post more pics anytime!!!

Truely amazing collections. Never get tired of gazing upon them.
May I ask alnhely what is the bowl that looks like a colorful bird called and where is it from? Sitting on the shelf with all the other drink bowls.
Thanks

D

exotica59 wrote:

May I ask alnhely what is the bowl that looks like a colorful bird called and where is it from?

I know I'm not alnshely :D but I think I can awnser your question...that there bowl is only the bestest, purttiest most scrumtiously beautteefulest bowl ever made (IMHO)...thats the Steven Crane bird of paridise bowl. Ain't she a beaut?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-10 07:13 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2005 8:07 AM

Man, you know you're top shelf when you've got your own drink menu. Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

I need one of those Maori mugs. That's the one Sven was selling from Spain, right? Sven, when you gonna start online sales??

Al,
Great photos. It's interesting to see how your place has evolved and your collection grown. I can remember photos you posted way back when. I still need to get to San Diego for a drink. Was that a black velvet of Shelley? If so, did you get it done via Gecko? It looks sweet regardless.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-11 13:28 ]

A

Hey Geoff,
Yeah we got that black Vevet From "Gecko's South Sea Arts". We love it. I recomend custom velvet to anyone.

Here's Shelley in Moorea

And here she is in the Lagoon room.

It is funny how the collection has grown, we have alot of fun with it. Come by for a drink any time
Mahalo,
Al
Mahalo,
Al

Krustiki and I found ourselves in Alnshely's neighborhood last week. Al invited us over, and he and Shelly entertained us for the next 6 hours with drinks, stories, and tours of their amazing bar and collections. The pictures don't do justice to how incredible this place is. Al and Shelly are fabulous hosts and really nice, interesting people. Al is also a bartender extraordinaire, and mixed my new favorite drink for me, a Suffering Bastard.

On 2005-03-10 19:32, Alnshely wrote:
It is funny how the collection has grown, we have alot of fun with it. Come by for a drink any time
Mahalo,
Al
Mahalo,
Al

Al,
Thanks for showing us the photo and the painting. Very well done. Also, mahalo for the invite. Same goes for you and Shell if you are ever in Orlando. I'll be posting more photos this weekend of construction at the Honolulu Lounge.
KG

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-03-24 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-03-24 19:19 ]

another great collection cant wait to see more!......i should be gettin our digital camera back soon, and will try postin some pics then........

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 7:59 AM

OK, I apologize in advance to those who do not have high speed internet. I finally have a decent digital camera so here goes...

My mugs are scattered all through out my apartment.

Kitchen:

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:04 AM

Dining Room:

WOW, what a collection! You have everything! I like the swizzles with the butts! Sweet!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:07 AM

Dining Room part 2:

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:11 AM

Living Room:

There might be a few more scattered here and there but that's the bulk of it. About half new and half vintage. 3/4 from ebay or here or online, the rest from "the wild."

Oh my, you have the million dollar mug! Hardly ever see those. Did you find that one in the wild?

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:17 AM

On 2005-04-17 08:07, Atomicchick wrote:
WOW, what a collection! You have everything! I like the swizzles with the butts! Sweet!

Thanks, but not everything! I don't have many of the rare ones. I don't even have a Tiki Bob. Those butt swizzles are nun's bottoms. I found those at a flea market, I think.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:18 AM

On 2005-04-17 08:14, Atomicchick wrote:
Oh my, you have the million dollar mug! Hardly ever see those. Did you find that one in the wild?

Zombie Village? That's my only real rare mug. I got that on ebay, it was not listed under tiki or even mug!

That is nice! It is so cool when you can get a major score. Congrats!

J

Damn Kono you've got a museum goin' on over there... and I thought my mug collection had escaped the bar and was permeating the rest of the house! You've got some great stuff!

T

My mug collection continues to grow. How did I miss the new posts

Dancin' Lizard- so that large green glass moai was from Spencer's. I love it. It towers over the other green moai.

Aquarama- I see a few mugs that I did some bidding on. You are a big time player on Ebay. I are the only name that comes to mine from Ebay cause I see you that much taking the kill. Its nice to see the size of the brain mugs and I see that you have all the boat mugs. The new one looks good. Birdman.

Kono- Your blk maoi lamp looks to have a short nose. Like the idea of the shell lei over the shade. I think I will try that for now. And you got that lil tiny fez for your bastard. Me likeE

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies