Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What is Your favorite Rum?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 174 replies

For me..Ron Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 15 for sipping..
Coruba dark,Lemon Heart,St James and Appleton for mixing..
White agricole (cannot choose between them!)and Montebello vieux for Ti Punch..
I need them all!

Only have one rum? yikes. Pussers, I suppose. All around good mixer, or even neat. Not to pricey.

I
iTiki posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 5:48 PM

Pyrat XO. No, Zaya Grand Reserve. No, Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof. I guess I better do another taste test and decide. I'll have to get back to you..........

S

Pyrat XO for sipping ,Pyrat Pistol for mixing,Sailor Jerry for falling out of my chair,playing cards and telling sea stories about Liberty Calls in PI,Thailand,Singapore,Seychelles,etc.

Recently I have been on the Voo Doo Rum train. I have been making some different things, and even tried a few of their recipies on their web site. Quite tasty.

Not too crazy about the overall flavor of Sailor Jerry. It's best with Coca-Cola. I find the bottle label to be the most redeeming quality of the rum, but the 92 proof isn't too shabby.

I have yet to drop down $50-$60 bucks for a really good bottle though.

S

for sipping, Diplomatico, Zaya, and Old Goslings

mixing depends on the drink...

My fav has to be Mount Gay's "Sugar Cane Rum", it would be the "Extra Old" if it was free!!!!!

I agree with this review
http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=661

and this guy doesn't have a clue to what he is talking about...
I have had both bottles in front of me and they are not the same thing!!!
http://www.bilgemunky.com/reviews/rum/mountgaysugarcane.php

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-19 22:45 ]

S

Right now I am enjoying some St. James H'ors D'age I scored for $27 a bottle. Stuff is rare and that price! Also mynew fave is Plantation Barbados variety.

On 2002-09-25 11:15, Mano Tiki Tia wrote:
...Either a favorite or most used rum...

For me, the "most used" award goes to Mount Gay Eclipse Silver.

Sensational! for the anchor in a Cuba Libre...

For $9.99 for a fifth at Trader Joes I have to say that Gosling's Gold is my frequent flyer favorite.

My new favorite Navy Grog is equal parts of the following:
(this one has been re-named the Tobunga Soaker)

Lime Juice
Grapefruit Juice
Falernum (homemade)
Rum Barbancourt 8 YO
Saint James Amber
Lemon Hart (regular not high-octane)

Stir in crushed ice until frosty and enjoy.

On 2009-06-19 22:44, Beach Bum Scott wrote:

and this guy doesn't have a clue to what he is talking about...
I have had both bottles in front of me and they are not the same thing!!!
http://www.bilgemunky.com/reviews/rum/mountgaysugarcane.php

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-19 22:45 ]

While he is over the top in his dislike for it. He is absolutely correct that they are the same rum with different labels. Over the years, this product has been through several different blends. But, at any given time, it is bottled, then, labels are applied "Rum" or "Brandy" depending on the market and laws. I have been to the distillery 4 times and have seen the operation. BTW, notice that it is no longer promoted on their website.

[ Edited by: bewarethe151 2009-06-24 16:10 ]

Picked up some Pyrat XO today, and made some Voo Doo Juice with it. Quite good. I found a place that sells if for $17.99 per 750ml. Is that pretty much on par with the rest of the country? They were also selling Captain Morgan Private Reserve for the same price. May have to pick some of that up tomorrow :wink:

We pay double that for the XO in New England.

I love VooDoo Spiced Rum--I lived in Petaluma for years and worked in a bar there and I know one of the owners. Many years ago even made up drinks, promos and specials for our bar to promote it and everything--to me it's so much smoother than Captain and, what can I say-it's my hometown rum!
100% aged Virgin Island Rum!

The new Jolly Roger Coconut & Key Lime Rum is out, but I have yet to try that--I'm sure it will be pretty sweet-but worth a try!

IMO Sailor Jerry is harsh and like someone else said--the packaging is the best feature.

My favorite rum is "Brinley's Gold Coconut ' it makes the best tropical drinks I have ever tasted. Float a little Myers dark rum on top it'll make your tropical drink just right....

We're fond of the Brinley Gold Vanilla but it never makes it into a cocktail, we just drink it straight.

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:49 ]

BD

Well, I would have to vote for Barbancourt 5 star from Haiti. Made the old fashioned way, tastes like rum should. I've tried most every rum made in the islands, and Barbancourt is the one!!! Of course, we drink it with just a twist of lime and ice. However it makes the best "Dark and Stormy" if you mix it with "Barretts Ginger Beer".

S

ZAYA grand reserve. neat or on the rocks, very enjoyable

I
iTiki posted on Sat, Oct 10, 2009 9:19 PM

Zaya for me, too Pyrat XO a close 2nd.

T

sipped some pyrat last night, and think ill do the same tonight. it has a great rich flavor. bacardi, is our least favorite.

All kinds of dark demeraras
Appleton Extra, Havana Club 7 and blanco, Barbancourt 15, El Dorado 3 year cask aged white, Mount Gay XO, Clèment VSOP, Zaya, Zacapa 23.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2009-10-24 07:17 ]

This is one of those things that can change day-by-day I guess. My current favorites are Lemon Hart Demerara (I've only recently been introduced to Demerara rums) and Saint James Royal Ambre.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on the Royal Ambre as I've seen much more favorable notices for the Saint James Extra Old, but I'll defend Royal Ambre to the death. Especially when it's sitting next to Appleton Estate 12 year in my Mai-Tai. :)

Due to the recent Pyrat Pistol sale at Bevmo, I stocked up quite heavily. As a result, I can say that Pyrat Pistol is now clearly my favorite affordable sipping rum, over Pyrat XO (I once loved it but now feel it is too one dimensional), over Zaya / Ron Zacapa 23 (slight bitter after taste, but still acceptable), and over Diplomatico (almost great but tainted by very slight sulfur smell). Long live Pyrat Pistol.

EDIT:
okay, skip the Pyrat Pistol. My new favorite sipping rum is El Dorado 12yr Demerara, I like their 15yr Demerara too, it's a little less sweet and little more complex.

OH! Zafra Master Reserve 21yr is worth checking out too, very unique as it's aged in bourbon barrels.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2012-04-30 11:45 ]

D
dash posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 5:30 PM

Juist got back from my honeymoon in Saint Lucia. Don't know if it was the west indies or the new wife or the rum, but I fell in love with Admiral Rodney's extra old St. Lucia rum. yummy. brought two bottles home.

here's my current favourite:

Depending if i'm sipping or mixing. I like Zaya,Pyrat XO,Meyers dark, and of course all of the Appletons. My current go to rum is Doorleys. It's a Bajan rum-great in a mai tai or with an ice cube in your finest snifter. Just bought a bottle ( very inexpensive) of La Negrita and a bottle of Origine. The cane for Negrita is from Martinique and shipped to France for distillation.At under 8 bucks(Total Wine Brea, Ca) I 'm gonna give it a try this evening. I already popped the screw-cap. has a surprisingly complex nose after you get past the first fairly strong whiff of alcohol. The "Origine" I know nothing about cept is was about ten dollars off the reg. 28 bucks at Albertson's. Report to follow when I wake up. I love summertime.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-05-16 15:36 ]

My favorite is Captain Morgan Tattoo rum! It goes really well with Diet Fresca. You should try it some time! Let me know what you think!

Seriously, I like the El Dorado 15. Fantastic all by its lonesome, sublime in a rum Old Fashioned or Swizzle

I tried the "Origine" amber with Meyers dark and used the classic tv mai tai measurments.I wasn't totally happy with the the results. Oh, it was very good but I want an outstanding and exquisite one when I put a lot of effort into crafting a drink. I tweaked the amount of orgeat (increased a little,little bit) and I was very happy with the result. I'm anxious to try em out on my tiki freak circle and see if I get any positive comments. I'm going over to Albertson's and grab a couple more bottles while they are still on sale. 19 bucks as opposed to 28/29$
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-05-19 19:07 ]

Tanduay, the rum na rum of the Philippines is my favorite legally attainable rum.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 174 replies