Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"The Lucky Tiki" (Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

Waiddaminnit, there were The Tikis, AND The Tiki Gods? Do tell...but we should open a new thread for this, please.

I was checking out the new place looks great on a quick note do you need any other decor as I would be will to contribute a Flamed Sailfish mounted on tropical back board .Regards Tygerjymmy at http://www.finsandflames.com

TB

Jymmy,

Nice website... And thanks for the offer.
I really like the fish with the Myers rum logo... got anymore of those?

D

Is there a tentative date set for the opening of this pearl?

TB

I will be posting a special invite for Tiki central only. The opening is in less than 2 weeks.

B

delphiniumangel I would Love to come over to the Grand Opening. However, the weather here in PSL is Beautiful and alas you are a Looong way awa. I can dream about it tho.

Benzart - I know the weather there is beautiful - I am sure pictures will be posted. It is too cold here in the Los Angeles area now - must go to Maui! Need heat and sun!!

Aloha!

On 2004-12-06 01:45, Tiki Bob wrote:
I will be posting a special invite for Tiki central only. The opening is in less than 2 weeks.

Excellent news! Two weeks is soon.

T

Bobby, Lucky, and crew are doing a gnarly job. I just dropped off a couple of carved tiki bar stools, and a shelf. I'm honored to be working for the Lucky TIki. Yes, Crazy Al rules. I've never seen so much detail and depth in palm before. It will for sure be the main attraction in the brochures. Lucky did a gnarly job on some new hand carved signs out front, they'll tractor-beam you in like no tommorow. And that logo by Kevin Kidney kicks so much ace!

TC page Or TiKi tOny.cOm or my clothing line adrift

[ Edited by: tikitony on 2004-12-07 19:08 ]

Will you be putting the opening announcement under a separate heading or should we just keep checking back under this heading?

TB

Here are 2 of the 7 stools thst Tiki Tony is making for the bar.

I will be posting the special Tiki central night here and under events.

TB

Bigger is better

N

Tiki Bob,

Everything looks great! With all the talented artists you have working on it, it is going to be the place to be. I can't wait for opening night.

Oh TB save one of those great Tiki Stools for me on TC opening night! Yep Bigger is better!!!

Hey Bob the myers rum one I dont have .Anyways place looks great though cant wait till it opens .Regards

TB

Aloha!

I am very proud to announce the grand opening of my fantastic new theme bar, the Lucky Tiki. I invite you to join me on Tuesday, December 21st for a private party for all of my Tiki Central friends.
(This is a Tiki Central only night)

At the Lucky Tiki, you'll feel like you've discovered your own 1950's hideaway. From the lava rock fireplace to the eight foot hand-carved Tiki, and all the details in between, this place stays true to the roots of Polynesian pop.

The Lucky Tiki is a true Tiki collaboration of the most creative and talented Tiki team around. You will experience an aloha paradise like no other thanks to the hard work of Crazy Al, Sven, Otto von Stroheim, Jeff Berry, Tiki Diablo, Dawna, Kevin Kidney, Lucky Burton, Don Salerno, Byron Mathis, Tiki Tony, Ron, Kelly Parra, Aron Knight, Lee Joseph and all of you from Tiki Central.

Our specialty drinks will include the Lucky Tiki, M'Ehana, Chief Lapu Lapu, and our own versions of the Mai Tai and Blue Hawaii. Thanks to Tiki Farm for providing us with a temporary, limited edition Lucky Tiki mug. Crazy Al and Kevin Kidney are working on our custom mugs which will hopefully be available soon.

Come join me for an enchanted evening. Festivities begin at 7:00 p.m. and end at 1:30 a.m. We are located at: 15420 Chatsworth Street, Mission Hills, California 91345 (where the 5, 405 and 118 Freeways meet). Please see http://www.mapquest.com to find your quickest route.

I look forward to seeing all of you!

Bobby Green
Designer and Owner of
The Bigfoot Lodge, Little Cave and now....the Lucky Tiki

Please check out http://www.theluckytiki.com for sneak peek photos.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bob on 2004-12-13 14:39 ]

TB

We decided to change the date of TC's grand opening of the Lucky Tiki due to Sven's Tiki mug party on the same night. TC's grand opening will now be on Tuesday, December 21st. Sorry for any confusion. Hope to see everyone there!

TM

On 2004-12-13 14:46, Tiki Bob wrote:
We decided to change the date of TC's grand opening of the Lucky Tiki due to Sven's Tiki mug party on the same night. TC's grand opening will now be on Tuesday, December 21st. Sorry for any confusion. Hope to see everyone there!

Do we need to RSVP, or just show up and give the Super Secret TC Handshake?

TB

Matt,

You create the secret handshake and teach it to everybody on Tues.

No RSVP required

OH boy, oh boy, oh boy.... The Lucky Tiki looks amazing....Can't wait!!

See you there,
Tiki Sooze

On 2004-12-14 00:59, Tiki Bob wrote:
Matt,

No RSVP required

The velours will be there. Can't wait to see it in person.

E

Place looks fantastic - can't wait for the TC party...see y'all there!!!

[ Edited by: eekatiki on 2004-12-14 16:36 ]

Well...that sucks for me. Damn holidays. I'll have to catch you on another night, my friend. I'll be in Boston. Have a blast!

RR

Matt,

No RSVP required

How about a password? It would be like a Tiki speak-easy

TB

Good idea...

Any(creative)password ideas out there?

H

On 2004-12-16 16:49, Tiki Bob wrote:
Good idea...

The cheese stands alone.

P

I'm there (with or without cheese).

MD

Seeing that I'm landlocked, Can I send my sister-in-law in my place?
She lives in Marina Del Ray, (or is it Rey?)
Shes a hottie that can drink and cuss like a sailor if the need arises! Always fun..........

On 2004-12-16 16:49, Tiki Bob wrote:
Good idea...

Ooga Booga!
(Unga Bunga ~ Creative Consultant)

someone PLEASE take and post some pics of this event for those of us too far away to attend!

MD

password.........."i wanna get Lucky" ????

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale on 2004-12-17 11:59 ]

TB

Sounds good to me

B

"Score14u"

Matt,

No RSVP required

Maybe the fist-to-fist, but sideways, as if holding a tiki mug.

On 2004-12-17 11:58, Mr. Dale wrote:
password.........."i wanna get Lucky" ????

"I wanna get lucky" may be too often stated in normal conversation, although always a good disposition.

Maybe:

"I'm lucky to be at the tiki"

or

"I'm here to get freaky and then lucky at the tiki."

H

Yo

E

IMPRESSIVE!!!

• :::: weeping because I'm so far away ::: *

I have to say, that I have been to this fine establishment a few times already and it is really fun. I really dig the decor and the staff is friendly(the giant tiki done by Crazy Al is really awsome). They built this little "cove" towards the back of the bar that is quite fun. I can't really comment on the cocktails, as I've taken advantage of their beer selection(the horrors of not having a tiki drink in a tiki bar). I suppose my one caveat is that the jukebox, an awsome contraption, is kinda pricey at $1 per song(though we were all very cool with the massive Zappa list). Other than that, this is one heck of a cool bar down the street from me.

C

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! !

TB

Thank you

Wow.

Bob - an incredible bar - just really perfect! I had a great time last night & got to meet a few TC'ers I hadn't before...

I once again tried to get "arty" with the photos - but had a hard time keeping the camera still last night.... So apologies for blurry shots & anyone in the pix I don't ID - I'm still trying to remember names of all the people I met last night!

The logo by Kevin Kidney is really too perfect...

It was really crowded - we saw what looked like to be a few "regulars" who were trying to figure out the scene I think....
Here's Poly Pop on the left.

This 8 ft. tiki by Crazy Al has to be seen in person (as do all of his tikis...)

The bar has a nice collection of mugs...

The puffer fish lamps are nice - but I really like the vintage "glitter" ceiling, which I assume is left from the original bar...

By this point, me holding the camera steady for "arty" shots wasn't gonna happen - but here are a few TC'ers who showed up.
Left is Bob, middle is Tikifille, right is Laney!

Humuhumu & Futura Girl! Not seen - a beautiful Panchito maquette from Three Caballeros given to Humu from Kevin & Jodi...

I had a great time! Thanks again for such a great bar so close to my house Bob!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-12-22 11:16 ]

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-12-23 11:23 ]

Great meeting all of you folks, Tangaroa, Humuhumu, Futura Girl, Tiki Bob et al.

I think the ceiling was new. I seem to recall someone saying that.

A few things to add:

DJLee was spinning the tunes for an incredible cocktail of exotica and ephemera. The bar without him will have a hard time living up to the mood he set. I came away astonished at the depth of his collection of vinyl.

TikiBob was an amazing host and proprietor. This was a dream come true for him, and it shows.

The signature drinks were fabulous. The "Temporary Limited Edition" Lucky Tiki mugs were instant collectables, with the specially designed TWO DIFFERENT MUGS yet to come! I had a Mai Tai and a Me'Hana. Delicious.

The trademark "Lucky Tiki" itself is almost finished, and will soon be installed. One must rub its belly for luck. Bob said he's thinking about a water feature around the Lucky Tiki.

The Lucky Tiki T-shirts show off the amazing logo. Great that he had those available.

It was a great place for a room full of Tiki-nuts. But the real fun was when a local would wander in with a look on their face like "What happened to the Wild Cherry?"

Great meeting everyone!

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2004-12-22 11:47 ]

Tangaroa, that lovely wahine in the middle of that picture above is none other than TikiFille, a.k.a. Dawna the kick-ass tiki carver! She created the lovely carving for Sven based on the tiki on the cover of the Book of Tiki, and the carving of the Hawaiian Eye tiki for Kevin... her latest masterpiece is going to be a tiki for the Lucky Tiki based on the logo design by Kevin Kidney.

Last night was a lovely evening, but I didn't actually get around to using my camera. I did, however, use my camera last Friday at the private friends & family party at the Lucky Tiki, here's a peek at those pics:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/luckynight/

(Some of the pics in that set are from the Good Luck Bar in Los Feliz and 101 Coffee Shop... the Lucky Tiki pictures are #s 1-21.)

The Lucky Tiki is a gorgeous little bar with lots of neat details, but I have to say that both nights I was there, the place was MADE by Lee Joseph's DJ work--he was pulling out the perfect tunes at the perfect time at the perfect volume, and it really set the mood. Thanks for another lovely evening, Bobby! It's great to have such a nice tiki bar within a quick 20 minute drive!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:39 ]

Thanks TANG & Humuhumu for the swell pic's!! I wish I could have been there last night, but I was feeling under the weather. I hope there will be plenty more chances to be there with all of you!!! The place looks amazing Tiki Bob, congratulations and I hope you do well!!!
Later,
Spermy

M

Thanks TANG & Humuhumu for the swell pic's!! I wish I could
have been there last night, but I was feeling around under the SHEETS!!! I
hope there will be plenty more chances to be there with all of
you!!! The place looks amazing Tiki Bob, congratulations and I
hope you do well!!!
Later,
Smiley

Wish I could hae been there!!! Would have been the first chance to meet TC members.

Are the mugs still for sale?

What was the "secret" password or "handshake" I was waiting for one of these to take place.

Great place and tikis - we loved the mug collection.

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies