Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Glistening Orchid?

Pages: 1 21 replies

F

Here's a drink I mixed a while back. My wife liked it which says a lot. I was able to mask the taste of the liquor just enough to get it by her fragile pallette yet still making quite a stong drink. I just can't seem to come up with a fitting name.

1.25 Oz Gold Rum
1 Oz Coconut Rum
0.5 Oz Triple Sec
0.25 Oz Amaretto
0.5 tspn Grenadine
1 tblspn sweetened lime juice

[ Edited by: FREAKBEAR on 2004-12-10 11:44 ]

OL

How about calling it the "Fragile Pallette"?

UB

A nutty rummer

H

Or a variation on Unga's suggestion:

Rumb Nut.

As I remember, it's very evenly flavored and delicately sweet. Pinkish in color. If I were to garnish it appropriately, it would call for mint spigg, cherry, a flower, or all of the above. Ironically, the ingredients used make it seem taudry and cheap -- unfitting of an elaborate garnish.

Is there already a drink called "Hibiscus Sweat"?

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-05 00:47 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 5:32 PM

On 2004-12-05 00:39, FreakBear wrote:
As I remember, it's very evenly flavored and delicately sweet. Pinkish in color. If I were to garnish it appropriately, it would call for mint spigg, cherry, a flower, or all of the above. Ironically, the ingredients used make it seem taudry and cheap -- unfitting of an elaborate garnish.

How about "The Glistening Orchid??"

I was saving that name for my own creation but what the heck. I was thinking of a duet of complementary cocktails: The Glistening Orchid and The Throbbing Volcano.

Use it if you want, if not I'll stick it back in the Drink Projects file. :)

F

Kono,

That's a pretty good match but I hate to take one of your project names. I'll have to think about it.

-FB

On 2004-12-03 20:27, FreakBear wrote:
I was able to mask the taste of the liquor just enough to get it by her fragile pallette yet still making quite a stong drink.

"the thatch roofie?"

On 2004-12-05 00:39, FreakBear wrote:
it's very evenly flavored and delicately sweet. Pinkish in color. taudry and cheap -- unfitting of an elaborate garnish.

Oh, well that's different.
Name it after my old girl friend.

"bartender, another 'unga bunga's old girlfriend,' please?"

K
Kono posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 5:05 PM

On 2004-12-06 09:23, FreakBear wrote:
Kono,

That's a pretty good match but I hate to take one of your project names. I'll have to think about it.

-FB

Don't mind me, I was just trying to be nasty. :wink: Maybe "Pink Orchid" or "Glistening Tumescent Pink Orchid" or "Glistening Engorged..." nevermind, it's my depravity talking.

In my googling to see if there's a drink called a Pink Orchid I did find one Black Orchid. Sounds interesting:

Black Orchid Shooter Recipe

Ingredients
0.5 oz. Grenadine
1 oz. Blue Curacao
1 oz. Bacardi Black Rum
0.5 oz. Cranberry juice
Mixing Instruction
Shake and strain into a sour glass. Top with a splash of 7-Up.

From: http://www.barmandrinks.com/cocktails-drinks/blackorchidshooter-drink.html

K

Well, I was going to suggest "Sandcastle" as it seemed apropriately soft and warm and thus appealing to a "fragile palate" while still conjuring beachy visions.

However, I did a quick search and found one recipe for a sandcastle already. Though I must admit that this recipe of yours is much more deserving of the moniker than the poor excuse for good mixology that is the Idrink version.

So, how about...

"Seashell"

or better yet, "She Sells".

Let's face it, after a few of these that's how your wife might be pronouncing it anyway:

"Honey, will joo makesh me uhnover one of thoshe Shesells drinksh?"

Ahu

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-12-06 19:14 ]

I like Kono's "Pink Orchid" a lot. It's simple and evokes a nice image.

Here are a couple more I came up with, for what they're worth:

Blushing Vahine
Gaugin's Niece
Seashell Kiss
Castaway's Parasol
Flamingo Feather
Moorea Mist
Pink Spider
Monkey gum
Polynesian Pinkeye
Pago Pago Pinkeye
Blushing Octopus
Tahitian Madonna
Spanked Virgin
Coral Necklace
Pink Pearl
Plantation Breeze
Tongan Princess
Conch Shell
Papeete Pinch

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-12-06 19:21 ]

K

On 2004-12-06 19:12, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I like Kono's "Pink Orchid" a lot. It's simple and evokes a nice image.

-snicker-

Yes, yes it does.

Me an' Kono must be thinkin' alike. That worries me somehow.

Ahu

Kono's "Glistening Orchid" and Sabu's "Pink Pearl" Share a similar appeal :wink: "Blushing Vahine" and "Spanked Virgin" are pretty appropriate as well! You guys are at definitely offering a good theme!

F

I've got it! How about "Pink Plastic Lei"?
-FB

I think Glistening Orchid is the winner! Suggested garnish: One Lilly bloom, speared Marachinos, and lime ring. Kono, let me know if you have second thoughts on this -- and keep us updated with that Throbbing Volcano recipe! What was I thinking with "Pink Plastic Lei"!
-FB

P.S. I've tried this shaken as well as stirred and don't remember which was better.

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-10 11:59 ]

Pago Pago Pinkeye

You forgot about Bora Bora Browneye.

K

On 2004-12-10 12:34, tikifish wrote:

You forgot about Bora Bora Browneye.

For just one brief second I imagined this as a cocktail and what the recipe might be.

I'm not feeling well now.

Ku Ku

O.K. I just mixed this again and my wife hated it! She said, "It tastes like chemicals!"

I did make a few minor alterations:

Mix of 8 yr Barbencourt and Pyrat white in place of Bacardi Gold Rum

Non-Alcoholic TripleSec

Non-Sweetened lime juice

It is a bit different than memory serves, but I suspect her pallette was sullied by the low-carb beer she was drinking.

Oh well, more reason to explore the possibilities of apricot brandy!
-FB

K
Kono posted on Thu, Dec 23, 2004 7:52 PM

On 2004-12-23 18:38, FreakBear wrote:
Non-Alcoholic TripleSec

This is madness! Why would you use a non-alcoholic version of anything when an alcoholic version is available!!?? :wink:

Seriously though, those aren't minor alterations. I can't imagine Barbancourt and Pyrat Superior Blanco or whatever its called being mixed together tasting anything like Bacardi Gold. Non-alcoholic triple sec may, in fact, taste like chemicals. I haven't tried the original b/c I don't have any amaretto or Rose's lime at this time. But I will!

Anyhoo...I decided to try and create a drink called the Pink Orchid. Here's what I came up with:

Pink Orchid

1oz Mango Rum (Cruzan)
1oz tequila
.25oz Fees Bros American Beauty grenadine
.5oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
.25oz simple syrup
.5oz OJ
.5oz Passoa liqueur
.5oz Club Soda

Shake with a cup of shaved ice and pour into a short rocks glass. Fill the glass to the top with shaved ice. Stir until the drink permeates the ice. Drink!

I'm a big fan of the Fees Bros American Beauty grenadine. Great pomegranate taste. If it's not available then I suppose another grenadine will have to do but it won't likely taste the same.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2005-04-09 20:22 ]

Yeah, the grocery stores here have poor selection. The non-alc was all I could get (it's just another syrup).

I can't wait to try a Pink Orchid! That sounds great! Rum and Tequila are a killer combo, and the Cruzan Mango is not too shabby!
-FB

Pages: 1 21 replies