Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Key Lime Rum Cake

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

anyone have a good "from scratch" recipe? i've been finding plenty on line that use cake mixes and puddings..i'd rather use real ingredients!

your help is appreciated!

elicia

EDITED.. cuz i made a cake..and posting the recipe below!

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-12-19 22:52 ]

i made this cake ~ it turned out quite delicious! i had bottled Key Lime juice, and used regular limes for the zest. i used equal parts of Bacardi Gold and Meyers Dark Rums.

the glaze is runny ~ so i removed the cake from the pan (to ensure it wasnt stuck) then put it back so the glaze can seep in!

Key Lime Rum Cake
For the Cake:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
6 Tbsp rum
1 Tbsp grated key lime zest
2 tsp key lime juice
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice

For the Glaze:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons key lime juice
6 tablespoons rum

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Mix together the flour and baking powder. In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in rum, key lime zest, key lime juice, vanilla extract and lemon juice.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

In the meantime, make the glaze by combining sugar, butter and key lime juice in a small saucepan. Let it boil for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum.

Allow the cake to cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn it out onto wire rack. While warm, prick the top of cake in many places with a toothpick. Pour the glaze over the warm cake. Cool completely before serving.

J
JTD posted on Mon, Dec 20, 2004 6:18 AM

Elicia,
That sounds yummy. I've asked the missus for her recipe (she's a pastry chef) to post. One thing she does is put a cookie sheet under the cooling rack for glazing. Allows the runny glazes to run down the sides of the cake. Cake looks better and there's no mess on the counter to clean up.
I'm hungry all of a sudden.

JTD

J
JTD posted on Tue, Dec 21, 2004 7:38 PM

elicia,
Nevermind, Katie says the only rum cakes she's done professionally were for a lady who had some strange requirements and she ended up using rum extract to flavor the cake. She does recommend epicurious.com ahead of foodtv.com for recipes in a pinch.

JTD

edited for spelling

[ Edited by: JTD on 2004-12-21 19:40 ]

thanks J ~ now what has me intrigued is the "tortuga rum cakes" that are only made for export from the Cayman Islands.. i wonder if it's that fantastic ~ because i cant believe a mail order, vacu-packed cake would be spectacular..

or if its all about the rum...

RedRum/ VooDoo Rum Cake
Ingredients:

• 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 package Jell-O instant pudding mix (vanilla flavor)
  • ¾ cup RedRum or VooDoo Spiced Rum
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 . Combine all cake ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer at low speed for 30 seconds. Mix ingredients for an additional 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour mixture into a lightly greased bundt pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Test for doneness with a long toothpick. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn pan upside down over a wire cooling rack. The cake should slide out easily after cooling. While cake is still warm, gently poke holes in the top with a toothpick.

Glaze:

• 2 tablespoons RedRum or VooDoo Spiced Rum
  • 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • Dash of salt

Mix sugar, lemon, and salt together in a bowl. Gradually beat RedRum or VooDoo into powder mixture until it is a smooth consistency. If glaze is too runny add more powdered sugar. If glaze is too thick add more rum. Drizzle glaze over the top of the cake using a spoon. Move the spoon in a zigzag motion while drizzling to give the glaze a decorative look. Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy! RedRum & VooDoo bundt cakes keep well in the refrigerator, and can also be frozen.

Here's a from scratch rum cake that I do love, however it isn't a key lime cake- you'll have to do that modification yourself:

From Culinaria: The Carribean
Captain Morgan's Rum Cake
(This is evidently made for pirates week in the Caymans are refers to the Captain Morgan, not the rum company)

3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 1/2 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extact
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1TBSP grated lemon zest
1 c dark rum
1 c heavy cream
Additional rum for sprinkling cake
Confectioners sugar to dust.

Preheat oven 350. Mix in usual manner for a cake, pour into g&f tube pan and back for about an hour. Cool. Sprinkle with rum to appropriate blood alcohol content. Dust with confectioner's when dry.

Very wonderful. Very bad for you. It could be easily modified with key lime zest and juice or extract.

D

thanks for those recipe too..

i tried the "original tortuga rum cake" and found that its really just a sponge cake soaked in rum. nothing special.

the recipe i made, is a rich pound cake, made more dense by the rum glaze.

later i'll post the recipe for banana rum cake that i made last weekend.

Elicia informed me that her mixture of the Bacardi Gold with the Myer's Dark worked well. Since my rum collection is spread out around right now, I'm going to attempt to play a little bit with the rum types. Will post the results.

This thread has got me craving key limes.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-12-11 10:53 ]

Call me crazy. Call me bold. Call me waster of fine rum. No prob.

My second time I made the cake, I forgot the key limes. no prob.
I used Mt. Gay for the recipe itself. Nice potent rum. Taking a tip of the hat from the Trader Vic Mai Tai, I combined Appleton Estate and St. James Amber for the glaze.

No one missed the key limes at all.

Add a touch of miscalculation. I found I had to shellac the cake with glaze. On my attempt to glaze the bottom, the cake had become a moist sponge. I worked to flip it over an save the damp & dribbling cake creeping through the cooling rack. Too late, it was going to stay a bit of a mush.

On the bright side, the rum PUNCH marinade gave the folks at the Daytona Beach East Coast Tiki Revival a hefty rum flavor. No subtlety in flavor here.

And here I was worried the rum flavor wouldn't be strong enough.

Pages: 1 9 replies