Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pernod - Ruiner of all!

Pages: 1 19 replies

Not really the ruiner, in fact, I quite like it when accenting a drink, but I swear there's about 2 molecules difference between accent and utter flavor dominance.

How do you control your Pernod?

pernod is definately a little dab will do ya kinda thing. i try to be as careful as possible when mixing with it.

a little too much and your dr funk is just plain funky and not in a good way either!

Traderpup uses an eye dropper when mixing with absinthe (which is Pernod's "cultured upbringing but fell in with the wrong crowd in its early 20s and wound up living under an overpass mumbling incoherently about serpents" cousin).

V

Pernod (or Ricard, Pastis, Casanis...) is my favorite aperitif. With just water and ice, on a sunny day in the south of France, it's terrific.
My first hangover was on Pernod actually.

I found that Pastis is better than Pernod in cocktails, I think the flavour is more subtle. But agree that a tiny drop is more than enough.

Virani, that is sooo French, 1st hangover on Pernod. I have to agree Pastis with iced water is perfect on a hot day.

With just water and ice, on a sunny day in the south of France, it's terrific.

I couldn't agree more

V

Actually, my favorite brand is Ricard.

On 2005-01-26 10:55, virani wrote:
Actually, my favorite brand is Ricard.

Yeah, I actually like Pernod the least of all the ones I've tried. (I've lugged many a bottle of pastis back on the ferry from Calais to Dover as it's so cheap!)

A few years back, I made up some Trader Vic's style sugar syrup and decanted it into a nice ouzo bottle (the cousin of pastis) that I'd repeated washed. Even though it seemed clean, the anis taste oozed into the sugar syrup, giving a little Pernod style kick to all the drinks made with that syrup!

Trader Woody

I've had nothing but trouble with the Pernod when developing "The Combover". Dr Z. is traumatized forver after a Pernod accident in the initial testing stages. In fact, I think if I made him one today without any Pernod, he'd still taste it in the drink.
The eye dropper method is what works. Otherwise, it takes over the whole drink.

Ran

M

I use the bottle cap from the pernod. Even then only a dash.

I just wave it over the bottle without even taking the lid off, and somehow (Tiki God knows) it still makes it into the drink.

IZ

Quince_at_Danny's and I were just talking about this. We've decided that then doubling or tripling a recipe that calls for Pernod, the best thing to do is to keep the amount of Pernod the same.

Hey, can this stuff go bad? I must have the same bottle I've had for 10 years!

I got mr. pineapple-bot a set of measuring spoons for Christmas, a dash, a smidgen and something else... they are teeny tiny, like and 8th, a 16th and 32nd of a teaspoon. He uses it to make the test pilot, it calls for an 8th or 16th of a teaspoon of pernod. The test pilot's always had a bit too much before those measuring spoons!

oh yeah - On the Live at Max's Kansas City Velvet Underground album, someone from the stage (I think it's Lou Reed) asks the bartender for a Pernod, I always thought that was really cool, so I drank it on ice for a while, to seem cool and rockstar like.

S

The secret to always getting the right amount of Pernod is to double or quadruple or whatever-le the recipe until you have a reasonably measurable amount to mix. If the recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon, make four of them. Half a teaspoon is far easier to measure. And always measure the Pernod somewhere besides over the cocktail shaker! And make it one of the early things you add before the booze so you don't waste good booze on a bad Pernod pour...

On 2005-01-27 19:37, I, Zombie wrote:
Hey, can this stuff go bad? I must have the same bottle I've had for 10 years!

The oldest bottle I have in my collection is a bottle of Edouard Pernod Absinthe, it is over 100 years old now. It should taste like nectar of the gods, unfortunately for me, my bottle was first opened in the 1920s and is so air oxidized it tastes like wet cardboard flavored liquor. I have other bottles of Pastis and Absinthe which have been opened about 10 years. Yes I have noticed a color change in some of them, but the flavor is still intact so far.

Has anyone tried the McIlhenny solution to the Pernod problem? When Edmund McIlhenny needed small bottles that only gave a drop or two of his Tabasco Sauce with each shake he found some cologne bottles with a tight neck and a screw top (one legend stating that he found a box of them at the dump). You could soak the labels off of (and the peppers out of) a tabasco bottle or a small cologne bottle, pour in the Pernod in using a tiny perfumers funnel, and label it as "Secret Recipe #23."

Or most large cities have surplus & lab supply stores, specialty bottle manufacturers or home perfumemaker supply stores that should carry small perfume/cologne bottles or dram eyedropper-topped bottles. The Specialty Bottle Company of Seattle has one that looks just about right, it's 1.7 oz. "woozy" sauce bottle:

Q

I've seen these "Martini Mister" thingamajiggys at BevMo that are essentially really small mister bottles for vermouth. I'm sure these would work really swell with Pernod as well.

On 2006-04-12 07:59, freddiefreelance wrote:
Has anyone tried the McIlhenny solution to the Pernod problem? When Edmund McIlhenny needed small bottles that only gave a drop or two of his Tabasco Sauce with each shake he found some cologne bottles with a tight neck and a screw top (one legend stating that he found a box of them at the dump). You could soak the labels off of (and the peppers out of) a tabasco bottle or a small cologne bottle, pour in the Pernod in using a tiny perfumers funnel, and label it as "Secret Recipe #23."

Or most large cities have surplus & lab supply stores, specialty bottle manufacturers or home perfumemaker supply stores that should carry small perfume/cologne bottles or dram eyedropper-topped bottles. The Specialty Bottle Company of Seattle has one that looks just about right, it's 1.7 oz. "woozy" sauce bottle:

while this method is appealing because of the ease of operation i would still recommend a childs medicine dropper. it has the 1/8th and 1/4 teaspoon measurements on it and accuracy is key when using pernod. it may take a bit longer to make the drink but i know i would rather get it right.

hey guys any one have any any idea why i have like a lot of glittery, silvery type crystaals floating in my pernod bottle, its only been open a week, is it ok?

On 2006-08-12 14:55, buggerlugs wrote:
hey guys any one have any any idea why i have like a lot of glittery, silvery type crystaals floating in my pernod bottle, its only been open a week, is it ok?

On the top or bottom? And how long have you had the bottle total, not just open time? It could be something as simple as the sugar content crystallizing.

Or it could be a strange and rare new form of life that will one day rise up and take the dominant position in the food chain........

Either way, you might want to start shopping for a new bottle. Have you tried the Ricard?

Pages: 1 19 replies