Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Chile / Chilli / Chili Recipes

Pages: 1 14 replies

Has anyone got any killer Chile recipes? I wanna get trying out a few variations soon. I have one already that I'm gonna try but I wondered if anyone had any favorites.

Mahalo

Hi Kon,

Good to see that you're back - hope you had a great time in Hawaii! (Show us the pics!!)

I make chilli a lot and it's always a little bit different. I don't measure out anything, but just let it take it's course and add ingredients as I see fit.

The basics - Ground beef (about 1.5 pounds), 4 cans kidney beans, 5 cans of chopped tomatoes. 2/3 onions (chopped) and a couple of cloves of garlic (crushed).

The fun is in the spices, so I try to add a variety of hot chilli peppers so you get a blend of different heats. It's all down to what's in the cupboard, but there's always extra hot chilli powder, some dried hot chillis, dashes of various different chilli sauces etc etc. Also, I put in a lot of ground black pepper, lots of paprika, some sugar, oxo (stock) cubes, a little oregano/basil (though not too much or it starts veering towards the Italian).

Cocoa powder or dark chocolate makes a huge difference, and sometimes I'll toss in a beer. Bits of cooked bacon also add taste.
Only add salt if desperate, but you'll certainly need at least a little. Anything like fresh tomatoes and chillis in the fridge are well worth chucking in. A tube of that tomato puree always works wonders, too.

Cook for as long as possible on as low a heat as possible, stirring as much as possible. Taste often and keep on adding the spices.

Trader Woody

M

I love that the chili enthusiasts and recipes are coming from the UK!

Is there no one from the south that can offer up some ideas?

(Not to say that that your recipe sounds bad, Woody! It looks good to me, very close to the way my mother makes her semi-famous chili)

On 2005-01-26 15:37, martiki wrote:
I love that the chili enthusiasts and recipes are coming from the UK!

Ha ha! I'm just getting my 'recipe' in early before all the pro's submit their killer recipes...

Trader Woody

My husband's good friend makes the best, hotest chilli I've ever had. I can usually only handle 1/3 of a bowl with rice. I'll see if I can get his recipe.

Being alone at home until August, I won't have the chance to eat/make a big batch of anything, so you guys are really making my mouth water! Good thing it's lunch time!

I always thought my chilli was pretty good, but it never had that authentic taste until a Mexican freind told me only to use Cumin powder and paprika and obviously Chilli as the spices. And to cook it for a long time. Man it tasted good

3 ounces suet, finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1-1/2 pounds ground beef, or chuck
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
2-1/4 teaspoons paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt
28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 cups cooked red kidney beans (optional)

Melt suet in a medium pot over medium heat, add onions, and cook, stirring often, until soft, 8 - 10 minutes. Add meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 5 - 7 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, paprika, sugar, and salt to taste, mix well, then add tomatoes and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, 1 - 1/2 hours. Add beans (if you need beans) and adjust seasonings. Keep warm on lowest heat.

Edit: I should point out that this recipe is designed as a topping, for topping chili dogs, chili burgers, chili fries, etc. It's perfect for Chili Size: grill a hamburger patty (I like'em grilled in butter). When it's almost done butter & grill a hamburger bun. Put the grilled hamburger bun bottom in a chili bowl (usually a small, high sided bowl), top with the hamburger patty, a ladle of the chili & "flowers" (chopped, raw onions). put the bun top on the side & serve. This was the specialty of the house at Ptomaine Tommy's Chili House in LA.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-01-27 09:19 ]

Thanks. Keep those recipes coming.

OK, so I found Brian online and had a chance to ask him about his recipe, here is his reply:(he knows I don't like mushrooms)

i don't really have a recipe for my chili, i basically assemble the ingredients as i see fit/to taste

ground beef, white onions, green peppers, chili beans, kidney beans, brown beans, diced tomatos, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, chipotle peppers, (i'm forgetting some peppers), mushrooms (your choice), chili powder, fresh garlic, salt, tobasco sauce, and flavouring to preference

okee dokee, just be careful when you're chopping the habanero's...wear gloves, or don't touch ANYTHING for about 4 hours.

especially a penis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes folks, this is true. Even my jalapenos in vodka can cause quite the sting.

D

Texas chili has no beans.The folks that I bet will come up with great chili recipes are all you folks in Cincinatti.They'll really make mouths water with their descriptions of five-way chili.With any chili recipe,however,it's best to make it the day before you serve it-the flavors get a chance to mingle.

I cook chili at least once a month. I'm always experimenting with different recipes but the constants are chili powder, cumin, cayenne, beef broth, jalapeno peppers, brown onion, beer and a little can of this mexican hot tomatoe sauce they sell here called El Pato. My ultimate chili dream is to make it to a chili cook-off at Carol Shelby's Texas ranch (preferably in a Cobra).

On 2005-01-27 21:03, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
My ultimate chili dream is to make it to a chili cook-off at Carol Shelby's Texas ranch (preferably in a Cobra).

The snake, car or GI Joe nemesis?

CO-BRAAAA!

M

I thought Cobra Commander looked cooler with the hood and not the silver mask.

(Nominated for the most extreme thread hijacking of 2005)

Nothing Can Stop The Shapes Of Things To Come

Here's my recipe -- it's great for potlucks!

1 16-oz can whole kernel corn (do not drain)
1 16-oz can chili beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 12-oz bottle Anchor Steam beer
1 packet Carroll Shelby chili spices
1 pound ground beef
1 medium white onion, chopped

Brown meat and drain. Combine all ingredients in a Crock-Pot, including ALL spice packets. Cook for 8 hours on Low or four hours on High. Yum!

(Note: You MUST brown the ground beef before putting it in the Crock-Pot; otherwise it won't cook completely.)

Pages: 1 14 replies