Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Slit Gongs

Pages: 1 26 replies

Anyone familiar with slit gongs? Is it hollowed out from bottom to top of slit? What kind of wood did the natives use?

On 2005-02-18 20:13, Jungle Trader wrote:
Anyone familiar with slit gongs?

Here's an article...

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:02 ]

B

In NewZealand they Preferred Sea Grape or at least thats what they preferred while they were playing at the MaiKai in Lauderdale.
I'll have to make you a small one to show you how they did it. They used logs about 8 to10 " in diameter and3 to 4 ft long. The seaGrape was already Oval shaped anyway and they flattened off the bottom so it would sit upIt was palyed laying down lenghways. They had about a3/4" slit going almost the length of the log leaving about 2" on each end . Inside was hollowed out beginning with a chainsaw and finishing with gouges. There had to be a thick "Lip" along the edge that was struck with the drumsticks which they turned from the same wood. The sticks were about 18" longand about1 1/2" on one end tapering downto about 3/4" on the other end. I have a picture here on TC somewhere I'll try to find of the one I did for the leader of the band at the time, Charles Mohee.

Fils, I saw that article, thanks.
Benz, I have a few images from the Oceanic Art book by Kaeppler but not a lot of info there. I wonder what available wood around here would be a suitable replacement for the exotic woods they used.

A

B

I would say in your area the best would be Eucalyptus. Its hard and when it dries has good "timbre" .

K

Are these slit gongs? I found these in Disney Orlando near the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Yes, those are slit gongs although I don't know if they are functional. Since they belong to Disney, they are most likely just decorative, but hey, I'm wrong all the time.

Thanks Benz. Eucalyptus is plentiful out here.

I was just reading about the slit gongs found in New Caladonia, which those Disney tikis are based on, and the ones in that gallery are from. The noise made from a ansestoral slit drum was believed to be the "breath" of the deceased relative. If the wind hit the slit just right, the drum would hum the voice of the relative. Very interesting stuff. But not sure about anything else.

HL

The Disney ones are fiberglass, but play a recorded loop of drum music.

Slit Gong means something completely different to Tiki Bong...

(I'm just not sure what.)

Slit Gong fo Tiki Bong
wut a concept
Don't smoke it at all
but hit it you schlep

it makes a sound like you never heard
so play it fo' your bird
jus bang da' slit gong with da' tiki bong
if you read dis' den you wastin' yo time

cuz this is the dumbest one I eva' wrote.

B

What is the difference between slit Gongs and slit Drums?
Here is a slit drum I did for a member of the MaiKai band, years ago. It is of Mahogany and Charles is holding it with his hand inside the drum. It is hollowed out thru a slit that goes all the way across the top and is 1 inch wide

I know, I know... these have been posted before here, throwing the link in seemed appropriate.

http://www.missouri.edu/~ccaaron/tiki.html

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-02-25 11:40 ]

can't we all, just get a gong?

I know I'd like one. does the slit widen on the inside? Or is it the same width throughout?

Here's a happy fellow!

B

The slit is just the narrow opening to a Very large cavern inside. When making thegong or drum, the object is to laeve the walls as thin as possible. Thats what gives it the Loud volume you hear.

"The people of the Ambryn and Malekula Islands consider the commissioning of a slit gong a measure of social status in the community and the cause for a celebration."
Related Article

On 2005-02-25 13:52, Benzart wrote:
The slit is just the narrow opening to a Very large cavern inside. When making thegong or drum, the object is to laeve the walls as thin as possible. Thats what gives it the Loud volume you hear.

Aha! So how the heck do you chisel it all out through such a small opening?
With talent!
Or can you do it from the back?
Or can you split it in half, then reassemble it?
(that would probably make it sound terrible...and defy the whole point)

Sorry about all the questions!

Yeah Benz, how did you hollow it out? Smoke and mirrors?

B

Mostly with a chainsaw and finish with chisels/gouges

There's a pretty one on e-bay right now
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3961118958

:music: ..hear dem natives bang their slit gongs :music: and sing their .... songs :music:

M

On 2005-02-28 17:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
:music: ..hear dem natives bang their slit gongs :music: and sing their .... songs :music:

Is that the them to the ... "Slit GONG SHOW" !?!

B

You hollow it out all from the slit. I always tried to keep the slit the width equal to 2 chainsaw cuts or roughly 3/4 inch. The original artists also used hot coals and hot stones to burn away the wood. Whatever tools or method you use, it is Very difficult and takes a lot of concentration and control.It has to be done in one piece or the tone and volume would suffer. The Harder the wood the easier it is to control as with soft wood, one slip and you are through the side or bottom and the hard wood a slip is just another little notch. Any way you look at it, it's a very hard job.

bubbles to the top

I love it when people bring back some of these great old posts. What a beautiful drum Ben....the wood is fantastic and the swirls are awesome...bet it sounds wonderful too. Interesting to know how these instruments are made. :)

Pages: 1 26 replies