Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Chicago Exotica 2005

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

bless you again, my child ~ i will bring the new drink "dread pyrat jesus" for you to sample :)

Are Chicago Hot Dogs carved like Tikis, or why is this turning into a Wiener thread? :wink:

Duke, maybe you should create a "Tiki Dog" recipe for the Saturday event, with pineapple sauce or sumpthin'. Since Hot Dogs seem to be such an item of local pride in Chicago, it might be the kind of gimmick that gets the press' attention.

There are lots of tikis equipped with weiners...

I'm starting a thread in "Tiki Drinks & Food" for the Exotica Dog recipes, Hot Dog arguments & Tikis with Wieners. :D

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-03-05 16:14 ]

T

On 2005-03-04 09:23, purple jade wrote:
There are lots of tikis equipped with weiners...

LOL.
Your genius wit has been missed around these parts. Good to see you posting again.

D

If it's a thread concerning Chicago. More than likely it will contain food. Tiki's or not Midwest folks love to eat, so discussing tikis and food only seems natural to people who argue about who has the best... hotdogs, Italian beef, pizza, steak etc.

Enough about the dawgs! I know that they will be delicious! What about all the Chicago Witco that I have been hearing about! Neptune Tiki and I are anxious to see it all! Do tell!

Speaking of dawgs ..... the Lucky Dog in New Orleans is real hard to beat and of course Pink's in LA.

Neptune Wahine,
When you see the Hala Kahiki you and Dave will say bow-WOW!
KG

GOODY!!! I am salivating just thinking about it! BOW-WOW!!!!!

i'll be bringin' the ZAZZ to chicago...

On 2005-03-08 08:03, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i'll be bringin' the ZAZZ to chicago...

ZAZZ?

I'll HAVE to attend now!

-Z

For those of us who need to get plane tickets, what days are we talking about? Friday and Sat nite only? THurs-sat night?, etc. Any help would be Zazz!!

B

We just got back from a couple of weeks in New York, so we are struggling to catch up, but we are pleased to be able to announce some of the entertainers who will be performing at Exotica.

Included in Saturday's festivities will be DJ Del Villarreal, Petty Booka, Kaiser George, The Neanderthals, the World Famous Pontani Sisters, and the fabulous Los Straitjackets! We are still waiting to confirm the participation of more great bands and performers, so stay tuned. We will also have the website up soon which will keep you up to the minute with further details. It's at: http://www.pegboardchicago.com/exotica

We have plans in place for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with the possibility of a little something on Thursday. We are also looking for a centrally located hotel which would be a cool place to stay and would be willing to offer Exotica attendees a good rate. If we have success with a hotel, we'll let you know right away. If you are anxious to make plans and can find a good price on a nice hotel on-line, by all means, lock it in.

We'll let you know more as soon as we have anything to share.

-Duke and Amy

oh my god, petty booka and los straightjackets???.....that rules....cant wait!!!

Saw Petty Booka last nite, and they were great! Can hardly wait until they come back to play Exotica. So far the list of talent is FaBuLoUs!

On 2005-03-20 09:36, hala bullhiki wrote:
oh my god, petty booka and los straightjackets???.....that rules....cant wait!!!

last time i saw los straightjackets they were selling the mexican wrestling masks.

i can see it now... mexican wrestling masks and fezzes...

T

Bump, any new info?

B

Thanks Turbogod, we have been meaning to share more with everyone. It has been slow going getting everyone that we invited to confirm, what with so many different schedules and all. At this point we are pleased to let you know that we will also be joined by the Haole Kats all the way from Florida as well as Chicago's own Windy City Islanders and steel guitar master John Rauhouse. It looks like the High Risers will be doing a special set for us and of course what would a Tiki event be without King Kukulele as your master of ceremony?

As we speak, master carver Danny of Tiki Diablo is working on crafting the special limited edition Exotica Tiki mug which will only be available at the event.

We are still trying to find a hotel or two that will offer a special rate to Exotica attendees. There is a very nice historic hotel in lovely downtown Oak Park that may be willing and we are looking into a larger hotel that, while not as close by, may have space for impromptu get-togethers. In the end, it may just be a case of letting folks stay where they feel is going to be the most comfortable for them (and their budget).

Please be patient, we are working as hard as we can to confirm everything. As soon as the entertainers are all locked in and we have a definite schedule, we'll post that here and add it to the Exotica website. There are still some opportunities for sponsors and some space left for vendors. If anyone is interested, be sure to let us know.

Mahalo!
-Amy and Duke

Do you have an idea of the times us vendors will be selling? Will we have access to or sightlines to the entertainment... i.e. last year's Hukilau? I thought that set up was perfect as people could watch, drink and shop all at the same time.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing putting this together this year! It'll be a blast!

Thanks Amy and Duke for putting together such an awesome event. What an amazing performance lineup! We are so looking forward to it. We are counting the days till Exotica!

T

moderators: Please put this event in the Event Calendar. It's listed in August but the dates are actually July 8-10.

Mahalo!

B

Thanks for pointing that out Jab! It's also actualy the 7th-10th. We'll be kicking off that Thursday night at Trader Vic's.

-Amy

S

I sent a note weeks ago to fix that and nothing...

I haven't been to Exotica yet, so excuse my lameness. But do you need tickets for Exotica or is it free?

okay-

here's my 2 cents worth......first off, I have a list of the following bands that would love to be a part of exotica 2005. some of which may have contacted you, the carters, already. they are:

the cocktail preachers, our premier midwest surf band, headlining taboo tiki nights this month.

the reluctant aquanauts, another midwest surf combo making waves across chicago.

and finally, the penthouse playboys, the closest thing to rat pack lounge since sinatra. these guys are awesome.

please try to contact them.....they would make a great addition to the event......

now, here's a suggestion......dave, have you thought about having an event at the castaways bar on north beach?? for those of you who don't know, north beach is the "hot spot" in the summertime here in chicago. they have live music all summer long and are open till 11 a.m. during the week. the castaways is composed of a large, real ship that was set upon the shore of the lake. It houses bike and volleyball rentals as well as fast food vendors. the stairwells are the original smokestacks of the ship. the upstairs serves great bar food and tropical drinks. It's the perfect setting for a surf show line-up What better way to offer a slice of chicago in the summer to out-of-towners than a lake-side event. swim, eat, drink and listen to cool tunes!!

You may want to check into who does the booking for the bands, which play all summer long. I think if you told them what you were planning, you should be able to strike a good deal......keep us all posted...a night at fitzgeralds' and a daytime event on the lake front would be an awesome combo to a great event!!

best of luck to all of you involved!! I look forward to the event!!

-dave

11 a.m....what am I...drunk??? it's till 11 p.m...sorry.

Check out our boys here in Brew City too...
The Nelsonics... Surf, Soul and Lounge

http://www.thenelsonics.com/

hows about gettin APE, i wanna see them so bad, and im prayin they play exotica or hukilau!

T

On 2005-04-12 22:18, hala bullhiki wrote:
hows about gettin APE, i wanna see them so bad, and im prayin they play exotica or hukilau!

Sorry, no plans to get them out to Hukilau this year... at the moment!

ok then exotica, please get APE!

Is there a schedule for what's happenening when on what night?

B

Aloha!

We have had a nasty cold take up residence in our house the past couple weeks, taking turns with each of us, but here is an overdue update...

The list of performers is pretty much complete. We have confirmed King Kukulele, Haole Kats, the Windy City Islanders, the Penthouse Playboys, Nebula, the Cocktail Preachers, the Madeira, Jon Rauhouse with Tommy Connell, the Exotics, the Hi-Risers, Kaiser George, the Neanderthals, Petty Booka, and Los Straitjackes featuring the world famous Pontani Sisters. We are still sorting out the exact line-up for Saturday and deciding who will play at the other venues. All the different events are promising to be a lot of fun, each with a different flavor– and Saturday is really shaping up to be a blast! FitzGerald's is planning a pig roast, we have some terrific vendors on-board, and we have put in an early request for some extra nice weather. Advance tickets will be available online on April 25.

With regards to lodging, as of today Exotica attendees can get a discounted room rate at the Write Inn (a lovely historic hotel in beautiful Oak Park http://www.writeinn.com/ ). Just call them at (708) 383-4800 and let them know you are in town for "Exotica." We are working to get a special rate from a second hotel in Oak Park, and we should have more details by the end of this week. We think Oak Park is the ideal location if you are coming from out of town. It's very nice with plenty of restaurants, shops, and of course the Frank Lloyd Wright studio and homes. There is also a green line train that will take you downtown to Trader Vic's, museums, more shopping, and all the fun to be had in "the Loop."

The hotel info is not yet posted on the Exotica website, so this gives Tiki Central members a jump on getting the discounted rooms.

We'll have more complete info on the website shortly, so stay tuned and be sure to keep an eye on the Exotica website at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/exotica

Mahalo,

-Duke and Amy

B

Also, we don't want to forget to share this with everyone. We are thrilled to have artwork courtesy of Dr. Alderete to grace the t-shirts and posters for Exotica this year.

-Duke and Amy

D

Smart idea,having folks stay in Oak Park.Great community,and very centrally located.

B

Boutiki, looks like a Killer t-shirt. I wish I could be there, but I'm sure you will take lots of pictures..

Don't worry Ben, I'll be there and I'll take tons of pics. I can't wait!

What a Fabulous line up!!! We can barely wait for the big weekend!
And FYI:
Oak Park also has some great shops, including a couple of cool toy stores (Pumpkin Moon & Scratch n' Sniff), and one of best record stores in the greater Chicagoland area (Val's Hala).
D&C

S

We worked hard at trying to get Los Straitjackets and the Pontani Sisters AND Petty Booka for Hukilau. Man. Love the Pontani Sisters!

nice work dave!! looks like you got a real good line-up....steve dahl will be proud of you this time, especially since the straight jackets are involved...

Making my reservations this evening. Loved it last time, looking forward to this July.

Well Turbogod and I have book are flight we will be hitting Chicago a round 5:30pm. Check in at the hotel then off to Trader Vic’s.

powerofthetiki

http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

http://www.marylanddctiki.com/

cannot wait, and when will danny unveil his mug for this???

B

Aloha! More info:

We have confirmed another Hotel that will give Exotica attendees a discount on their room rates. The Carleton of Oak Park http://www.carletonhotel.com Just like the Write Inn, all you need to do is call the Carleton at 1-888-CARLETON and ask for either Stuart Abel or Dana Enari in group sales and let them know you will be attending "Exotica Luau by the Lake" that weekend and they will set you up. You can also try making your reservation using email by contacting Stuart or Dana at [email protected] Our understanding is that there is a Motel portion and a Hotel portion of the Carleton and the rates vary based on the accommodations, so there will be different price points based on what you want or need in a room.

This info will be added to the Exotica website very soon, so if you want first dibs on the hotels, we'd suggest making your reservation soon.

-Duke and Amy

p.s. Danny is hard at work on the Exotica mug. As soon as we have some pictures to share, we will.

T

Turbogod & PoweroftheTiki in the Motorlodge. Thanks Duke & Amy for getting all this info together.

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2005-04-22 20:51 ]

On 2005-04-22 15:23, Turbogod wrote: Turbogod & PoweroftheTiki in the Motorlodge.
Do you mean the Motor Inn part of the Carlton? Or yet a third hotel? I just want to make sure that:
1.) I'm right on a train line - that made it SO nice last year.
2.) I get to look forward to another of Turbogod's pole dances on the train.....

T

On 2005-04-26 16:41, Formikahini wrote:

On 2005-04-22 15:23, Turbogod wrote: Turbogod & PoweroftheTiki in the Motorlodge.
Do you mean the Motor Inn part of the Carlton? Or yet a third hotel? I just want to make sure that:
1.) I'm right on a train line - that made it SO nice last year.
2.) I get to look forward to another of Turbogod's pole dances on the train.....

1. Yep @ the Carlton.
  2. I'm workin' on a new routine. :o

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-04-26 19:01 ]

B

The Exotica website has been updated with more info and tickets are now available for Trader Vic's on Thursday and the big Saturday show at FitzGerald's. Trader Vic's has limited capacity (about 120) so if you plan to be there, grab your tickets while you can. The Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La also have limited seating capacity, but there is no ticket to purchase--just make your reservation to be sure you are on the list. Since the space at these smaller venues is limited, please only make reservations if you are certain you will be attending. We'd hate for anyone to be turned away and then for there to be empty seats at the event.

We will soon update the vendors page with information about the folks who will have cool stuff available Saturday. There are one or two more surprises still in store, so check back on the site regularly.

You can still visit the Exotica site at the address we gave before, but we now also have a new and improved url: http://www.chicagoexotica.com It's easy to remember, so pass it on to your friends.

Mahalo!
-Duke and Amy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies