Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Chicago Exotica 2005

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

Duke,
Which airport is better to fly into if you're staying in Oak Park? Ohare or Midway?

B

Poly-Pop,

The nice thing about Oak Park is that it is almost equidistant from Midway (~10 miles) and O'Hare (~11 miles).

Hope you'll be able to make it out to Chicago!

-Duke

S

Made my reservation with the Carleton. We'll be there. Looks like we will be arriving on Saturday in a convoy with the Haole Kats and Pablus. They are playing a show here in Knoxville on their way up on Friday.

Oh man, this mug is shaping up to be one of my personal favorites! Tasty drinks only to be served in this one. Que viva El Santo!

Bought my Trader Vics ticket, bought my big luau ticket, and made my reservations at The Carleton Inn (Motor Inn)!!! I'm in town at least that Thursday thru Sunday, and probably staying on for a few more days afterwards to see the city and visit with Chicago friends who got completely bypassed at the last Exotica!

Now, which dresses to take...........

Tickets have been bought, hotel has been paid for, just found out Swanky and Pablus are going to be there. I can't wait!!

G

Hello there.
When Can I expect the tickets to arrive?

Mahalo

we are there! now, cross fingers for no tornadoes (JOKE) :) :) :)

cant wait!...one question, will vendors be at all the locations, or only at the fitzgeralds show???

B

GikiTiki,
We should have made mention of the "tickets". They are actually "E" Tickets, as in electronic tickets– and I guess sort of like the Disney E-ticket ride too. Just like Southwest airlines, you will not get a piece of paper in the mail, but rather you will be put on the list in the order that you purchased your ticket. We'll have that list at the door, so all you need to do is show up.

hala bullhiki,
The vendors will just be at FitzGerald's that Saturday, the other venues are much to small to accommodate them and we want to have space for as many revelers as possible. We do have a great assortment of vendors, so there should be loads of cool stuff available. Now I just have to remember to hide Duke's wallet.

-Amy

G

Amy,

Thanks for the info. What time can we get into Fitz's?

Mahalo and see you there!

GT

I

I'm in!

I just purchased my airline ticket - arriving Thursday, and staying at the Write Inn. I will also be spending the following week in Wisconsin (House on the Rock, the Dells area, some other places) afterwards.

I'm looking forward to it, as I had to miss the first Chicago Exotica event.

Vern

Hey Vern,
We will be arriving Thursday as well also at the Write Inn. You're going to Trader Vic's too right? Mai Tais only $5 with an all you can eat appetizer buffet. Yum Yum!!
See you there.
Jeff

is there a partial list of who will be vending at this yet??

On 2005-05-01 22:54, hala bullhiki wrote:

HB,
Go to website, http://www.chicagoexotica.com and you will find the list of vendors.
D&C

awsome, glad the list is up now, been checkin back daily!!!......

On 2005-05-02 10:23, BambooLodge wrote:

On 2005-05-01 22:54, hala bullhiki wrote:

HB,
Go to website, http://www.chicagoexotica.com and you will find the list of vendors.
D&C

What, no Hot Dog vendors!

C
Chacha posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 2:39 PM

I got my plane ticket last week and am really looking forward to this event. I missed the last Exotica. Can't wait to meet folks and see old friends.

send me some flyers and promo stuff and i'll help promote the show....

B

...send me some flyers and promo stuff ...

Thanks Tipsy, I'll get in touch with you to get your mailing address.

I also wanted to make everyone aware that the discounted rooms they have blocked for Exotica at the 2 hotels are filling up. The discounted rate is only available until June 2nd at the Carleton and June 10th at the Write Inn. So if you wanted to stay in Oak Park at either of the hotels, it might be prudent to make your reservation soon.

We also have a bunch of really cool stuff that has been contributed as raffle prizes (to be held Saturday) and door prizes (at each event). We'll soon be posting a list of the items and the donors on the vendors page of the Exotica website.

-Amy

http://www.chicagoexotica.com

pm me for my address or you can pull it off my website at http://www.dskdesigns.com to send me flyers to help promote. don't forget to get some to dva gallery for their opening. if not, i can definately drop off a pile of em' if you send me some. I have a few to drop off at tabu tiki tonight...(got them from vintage delux). I am also considering contibuting some original art to the raffle. send me details... also, I will have a car trunkload of elviki tiki figurines at all the events so if anyone wants to pick one up, let me know...

thanks!

B

We have had an update on the Exotica site which should answer some of your questions.

On 2005-04-29 09:20, GikiTiki wrote:
What time can we get into Fitz's?

The event at FitzGerald's is all day, from noon 'till midnight. We have a schedule for the bands and DJs on Saturday that we are locking down. We'll add that to the site as soon as it's confirmed.

-Duke and Amy

Believe it or not, I'm in. Purple Jade talked me into it and I thank her. Can't wait!!! I've never been to Chicago!!! I know, I'm going to Exotica, but still--my thoughts turn towards some of the other things for which Chicago is famous (besides bad weather and hot dogs.)

In other words, isn't there supposed to be some good jazz there too? :wink: Or was that fifty years ago...I tend to be out of date...

Lisa aka tikivixen

The event mug debut is coming! I'm getting excited about this event!

T

On 2005-05-29 23:09, tikivixen wrote:
In other words, isn't there supposed to be some good jazz there too? :wink: Or was that fifty years ago...I tend to be out of date...

Lisa aka tikivixen  

Lisa -

Check out the Green Mill at 4802 North Broadway (773-878-5552, 12PM-4AM Sun-Fri, 12PM-5AM Sat). It's been open since 1907, making it the oldest continuously open jazz club in the country. Al Capone and Charlie Chaplin were regulars. The decor is amazing and appears to have been done in the 1930s or 1940s. I don't know what the acts who play there are like because I went in there in the day for a quick one.

Here's some snaps I took:

I have not been to these places but they were recommended in various guide books:

The Jazz Showcase (59 West Grand Ave) - 50 years old, classic acoustic-only jazz.

Green Dolphin Street (2200 North Ashland Avenue) - elegant supper club, showcases traditional and big band jazz

For a real adventure there's a few in the South Side:

Velvet Lounge (2128 1/2 South Indiana Ave) - described as "gritty" and "a bit on the seamy side"

The Cotton Club (1710 South Michigan Ave)

For jazz records, there's the Jazz Record Mart (444 North Wabash Avenue).

I'm sure James could make some good recommendations.

The Green Mill is supremely cool, and they have live jazz there almost every night.

But, I never go there because the prices are supremely expensive, and the staff is supremely smug.

However, visitors to Chicago who are interested in al things vintage mid-century must visit it at least once.

If you go early enough, there is an awesome book/record store three doors down called Shake Rattle and Read.

Al Capone owned the Green Mill at one point, and if you go on a quiet night and suck up to the bartender, he may show you the trap door under the bar that leads to an underground tunnel.

This was a prohibition-era escape hatch.

It leads to the basement of - you guessed it - Shake Rattle and Read.

anyone know the event room rates at the hotels?....gotta make a decision on this asap, so i need to find out.......mahalo

B

On 2005-06-01 09:07, hala bullhiki wrote:
anyone know the event room rates at the hotels?....gotta make a decision on this asap, so i need to find out.......mahalo

Room rates vary depending on size at both the Carleton and the Write Inn, so you will need to contact them directly for specific information based on your needs.

Please note that in order to get the special rates, reservations must be made at the Carleton by THURSDAY, JUNE 2 and at the Write Inn by FRIDAY, JUNE 10.

Contact info for the hotels is on the "Lodging" page on the Exotica website: http://www.chicagoexotica.com

Mahalo,

-Amy

i haven't made my reservations yet for the event...I figure, since i live here, why gyp someone out of a ticket that's coming in from out of town...i can visit all these places 24/7 so i'll probably be a last minute check in....

:tiki:35 days and counting...! Any new info. boutiki. I know Tiki Diablo is hard at work with the Exotica mug! Any pics?

Mahalo.

another stop on the tour should be Delilahs bar. One of the best chicago rock -n- roll bars left......probably one of the best selections of booze in town. Owner mike Miller prides himself on it and if you are a big rum drinker like myself, this is the place for you. lot's of yummy rums, including some cuban contraband rums, unavailable in most bars in the U.S.

let's not forget superdawg drive in...check it out here:

http://www.superdawg.com

and yes, the giant hotdogs eyes wink on and off at you...

On 2005-06-02 23:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
another stop on the tour should be Delilahs bar. One of the best chicago rock -n- roll bars left......probably one of the best selections of booze in town. Owner mike Miller prides himself on it and if you are a big rum drinker like myself, this is the place for you. lot's of yummy rums, including some cuban contraband rums, unavailable in most bars in the U.S.

Go to the Exotica website, click on schedule, and you will see that Delilahs is on the menu for Thurday nites activities http://www.chicagoexotica.com
TTFN

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-06-03 03:14 ]

thanks bamboo!! I haven't checked their site in awhile and since delilah's isn't tiki, I didn't think it would be up there. nice to see the carters are on top of things......

Would anybody care to explain to me, please, why my brother has decided to get married in BRAZIL on JULY 9TH, and why I have to be there? Anyone? Anyone?

Life is unjust. Well, in THIS case, anyway.

Have fun everybody!

T

TL,
Some people are just selfish. :) Same thing happened to me this last Hukilau.

On 2005-06-05 07:18, Tikilicious wrote:

Have fun everybody!

that signature is my new fave! mahalo tikilicious, we'll print a copy and bring it along to mark your presence :)

Mahalo! Thats my logo! :D

I am a retro/tiki artist and designer. And the crazy chick in the photo is ME!

I sign all of my work "XOXO, Tikilicious!"

Glad you like it! Hey, yeah! Print it out and take it with you, and I will be there. Instead of my stupid brother's stupid wedding in my stupid hometown of stupid Brazil!

tikilicious kisses!

B

We are thrilled to be able to share this image of the forthcoming Exotica 2005 Tiki mug. This is the original sculpt from which the mold will be made. Tiki Diablo is working overtime to make sure we have the complete edition available for the big event on Saturday the 9th of July. This is going to be a very limited edition mug and will only be available at Exotica.

The final version of the mug will have a two-tone glaze that will accentuate the fact that this cool Tiki is sporting a Mexican wrestling mask (a'la Los Straitjackets). As the big weekend draws near, we are getting more and more excited and looking forward to sharing some of Chicago's Tiki treasures and some great Tiki tunes with everyone.

Items for the raffle are rolling in from the generous Exotica supporters. We have some fantastic stuff from Oceanic Arts, Swamp Fire, Bosko, Munktiki, and a sign from Pariarts that has to be seen to be believed. We'll also have a DiPinto guitar that is signed by the Los Straitjackets included in the raffle! There will be photos of some of these great pieces on the vendors page of the Exotica site very soon.

There has also been much discussion of all the fine Hot Dog eateries here in Chicago, but we should also point out that we are fortunate to have a delicious authentic Hawaiian plate lunch restaurant in the heart of the city. The Aloha Grill has been open for less than a year but has already garnered a reputation as THE place for a genuine taste of the islands for lunch or dinner. If you are joining us for the Exotica weekend (or if you come to Chicago anytime for a visit) we highly recommend that you stop in and give Ivan and the guys a try. You will not be disappointed. If you are local, we are going to assume that you already know the taste treat that is the Aloha Grill. The restaurant is located at 2534 N. Clark St. in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

-Amy and Duke

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2005-06-09 07:44 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 6:25 AM

Crap! That mug is beautiful! Danny just keeps 'em comin'. I guess I better save up more money for Exotica...

ditto, soon ill have to sell my soul to get all the tiki diablo mugs i want at exotica!!!......great mug, cant wait for exotica!!!

F

My wallet is pouring with tears right now because he knows he is going to take such a hard beating in July!

I can't wait to see the mug in color and in person!

:tiki:Fantastico! Padrisimo! El Esplendido Exotica mug! Truly the work of El Diablo! Soon this will be mine! Soon!

D
DaTiki posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 8:24 PM

Love the mug. Make sure to save one for me. It was also very nice meeting with you two today and sharing your collection with me. Look forward to Exotica. Cheers,
David
DvA Gallery

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 8:53 PM

save me a couple of those mugs!! Any word of a price or the number limited too. I'm also looking forward to meeting people that I know more about than any person I have never meet and will meet.

WOW!!! Thanks for the sneak peak Duke. Danny's mug is exceptionally beautiful.

once again, job well done!! save me one too!!! it'll go nice with your tiki quest mug and exotica 2003 mug that I picked up from you awhile back.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies