1/4 C Honey Mustard
1 package poppy seed hot dog buns
Mustard
1 C Picklelilly
2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
6 Sport peppers
1 C Chopped Maui onions
Celery Salt

Open the package of Polish dogs & cut a spiral through the skin of each dog from one end to the other. Only cut about 1/2 inch into the dog, don't cut all the way through the dog. place the dogs in a ziplock with the Teriaki sauce & put them in the 'fridge for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.

Rub the Honey Mustard into the Pineapple rings, place in a ziplock in the 'fridge with the dogs.

While the dogs & pineapple are marinating chop your Maui onion & prepare the tomatoes.

Take the dogs & pineapple out of the 'fridge & pop the dogs & pineapple on the grill over medium high heat & cook covered, turning when a side has nice grill marks, until done, about 5 - 6 minutes. remove them from the grill & slice the pineapple rings in half.

put the dogs on the buns & top each with Mustard, picklelilly, 2 half grilled pineapple rings, a couple tomato wedges, a sport pepper, a couple tablespoons of the chopped Maui onion & a sprinkle of Celery Salt. Serve with Cheese Fries.

D

Sounds like a classic Chicago dog with a hawaiian twist.

Here's a twist on the classic Maxwell St. Polish:

2 Packages Vienna Beef Polish dogs
1 Can unsweetened Pineapple juice
2 Packages poppyseed hot dog buns
2 Maui onions, cut into 1/2 rings
Bacon drippings
Mustard

Pour the Pineapple juice into a sauce pan that'll hold it & the Polish dogs (don't add the dogs yet, but they have to fit you know). Bring juice up to a boil & then down to a simmer and add the Polish dogs. Cook for 15 minutes & drain completely.

While your dogs are simmering prepare the Maui onions: cut off the tip & root ends, lay the onion on your cutting board on the end where you removed the root & cut it in half. Remove the onion skin & the top layer of onion, lay the onion on the cutting board on the slice where you cut it in half. Holding your knife at an acute angle to the cutting board slice off thin wedges of onion from the rest of the onion until you've cut off about 1/3 of the piece. Shift the onion so the part you've been slicing is against the cutting board & repeat until you've sliced all of the onion into little 1/2 ring wedges.

Put your Polish dogs on a medium high grill & cook until grill marks are achieved, turning often. Meanwhile, heat the bacon drippings & saute your onions in it until a dark, golden brown.

pop the dogs into the buns and top with mustard & grilled onions. Serve with Cheese Fries.

Let's do it to a Georgia Slaw Dog:

8 good Beef Hot Dogs
16 slices of rye bread
8 Slices of american cheese

Cole Slaw:
2 c. shredded cabbage
1/2 c. Mayo, plus a little more
1 small can of pineapple chunks, well drained
a pinch of salt
Celery seed to taste

Mix all the slaw ingedients in a bowl. If you want a little more mayo, mix it in & let it sit in the 'fridge to allow the flavors to mingle.

Slice the hot dogs in half, leaving just a little skin to hold the 2 pieces together. Fry the dogs on a griddle with a weight on top to keep'em flat. You might want to fry'em in a large frying pan with a smaller frying pan on top as a weight.

lay down 1/2 the rye bread, top with the dogs, cheese, the slaw & the other 1/2 of the rye bread. Serve with Cheese Fries.

What's with the Cheese Fries you ask? Try'em with a Real Cheese Sauce & tell me you don't want'em with every meal:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups, (10-ounce) sack shredded yellow Cheddar
3 squirts ketchup, about 1/4 cup

Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour & cook, stirring, for about a minute. Make sure you cook the flour all the way through, there's nothing worse than raw flour in your Cheese Sauce. Whisk in the milk slowly until it's all in & thickening up a little. Stir in the cheese with a spoon, as soon as the cheese's melted take the sauce off the heat & stir in the Ketchup. Pour over fries.

It's also good on Hot Dogs, Chili, Nachos and any combination there of...

K

Puka Dog!

http://www.pukadog.com/

Can't wait for April.

Ahu

I'll leave it to the Chicagoans to Ponder a Poi Dog...

T

On 2005-03-04 18:15, freddiefreelance wrote:
I'll leave it to the Chicagoans to Ponder a Poi Dog...

D'oh!

Do you think PDP had this Poi Dog in mind when they came up with their name?

Not very exotic, but it's quick & great comfort food:

Chili Cheese Dog Casserole

1 can of Chili & 2 Hot Dogs for (aprox.) every 2 people to be served
Shredded/grated cheese to taste

Put the can(s) of chili into a pan, slice the hot dogs into disks & add to the chili. Heat on high until chili starts to bubble, then turn the heat down to a simmer 'til the dogs are cooked through. When it's ready to serve add your choice of cheese(s) & stir to mix (I prefer a mixture of shredded jack & grated parmesan cheese, enough to make it thick & gooey). Serve in a bowl with your choice either a piece of bread or roll in the bottom, or a piece of bread & butter on the side.

okay, for those of us who are going to be pretty much downtown chicago, how about a short list of the hotdog places we should visit? geographic proximity correlated with high quality doggage would be ideal.

On 2005-03-01 21:59, tikibars wrote:

The best dogs in Chicago are at Wiener's Circle, hands down. Super Dowg blows all aother hot dog stands, coast to coast, out of the water for coolness though. Hot Doug's completes the holy trinity, but is definitely third of the three.

are wiener's circle, superdawg, and hot doug's do-able in a single day?

Will there be a Wiener Crawl? Anybody volunteer for Wiener Leader?

There is a swell PBS show on Hotdogs (I presume most of you have seen it) Those "Rippers" seem a little grim...anybody try one of those? Deep fried 'till they burst?

On 2005-05-16 19:15, Gigantalope wrote:
There is a swell PBS show on Hotdogs (I presume most of you have seen it) Those "Rippers" seem a little grim...anybody try one of those? Deep fried 'till they burst?

just saw it (again) last week ~ therefore my reinvigorated hotdog interest.

p.j. u fonny :)

D

There's always Gene and Judes down the street from the Hala Kahiki,if after having rum drinks you need a little more sustenance than the pretzels you get.Always packed,no place to sit down,VERY limited menu-sodas,dogs,fries,and tamales-although I can't stand the fries-they're limp and soggy.

Hey, here's the deal:

Boar's Head hot dogs with casing.
sliced swiss
sour kraut
celery seed
chopped Mau'i onions
yellow mustard
Rye

Combine, eat, wait for gas.

answerin my own question...

Superdawg 6363 N. Milwaukee Ave 60646
Sun-Thu 11am-1am, Fri-Sat 11am-2am

The Wiener's Circle 2622 N Clark St 60614-1523
Sun-Thu 11am-4am, Fri-Sat 11am-6am

Hot Doug's 3324 North California Ave, 60618
Mon-Sat 10:30am - 4pm

I did some googlin' and it seems these are all within a 15 mile radius of oak park (our home base). w00t...

J$, don't forget Buona Beef, 6745 W. Roosevelt Rd., 2 & 1/2 blocks from Fitzgeralds. I haven't had their Hot Dogs, but their Italian Beef Sammiches are pretty good (not as good as Dukes, but Dukes in in Burbank & we're talkin' Berwyn here), and I love the fact you can get Peppers & Eggs Sammiches on Fridays.

B

We were going to stay out of this "heated" debate (groan), but have not heard anyone mention one of our favorites. Best Kosher. They have a counter attached to their factory on Pershing Road (39th st.) between Halsted and Ashland. They are different than the dogs you get most elsewhere around Chicago, and they are HUGE! We love 'em and it's not just the fact that they are in our 'hood and we have to go past every time we make a trip to our Post Office.

Some of our other favorites are Superdog (the mascot alone makes it worth the visit), Hot Doug's (he cooks the fries in duck fat– rich and yummy), Gene and Jude's (for its proximity to Hala Kahiki), and this Mom-and-Pop place called Nicky's (just 'cause it's on our block... though they do make a mean malted).

-Duke and Amy

mahlo dr. freddie and boutiki and everyone, we will be sure to add those to our gustatory itinerary...

Freddie is right on it with Dukes having a hell of a beef sammich. We also suggest checking out the beefs &/or combos at....

Johnnie's Beef
7500 North Ave.
Elmwood Park, IL

Elmwood Park is directly north of Oak Park, so for those of you staying right in Oak Park it is about 1 mile or so from either hotel.
TTFN
D&C

Ooh my aunt took me to Johnnie's directly after she picked me up from the airport! YUM!

Pages: 1 21 replies